Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Might is botched the same way as in PoE1

• Please log in to reply
124 replies to this topic

thelee

thelee

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1379 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Then they should look at someone pointing out their grammatical errors as a learning experience and take responsibility for their errors, rather than blame others for their own inadequacies. 

mate, u straight up failed to comprehend that no one asked u to correct their copy. u might want to work on ur own communication skills before going in studs up on someone else.

You may not need grammar to figure out stuff like this, but you sure as hell need it to communicate effectively and for your comments and opinions to be taken seriously.

who cares. a clown wearing a bowtie is still a clown.

on that note, uve spelt ur username wrong. its supposed to be 'circus'.

Why do people always ask this silly question, "who cares?".  Obviously, I care, otherwise I wouldn't have posted what I did.   I place a great  deal of importance on proper use of the language.  If you sent me a cover letter for a job with poor spelling and grammar, I'd toss both the cover letter and the resume straight in the trash basket.  And I stand by the comment that proper spelling and grammar are important if you want your opinions to be taken seriously.

And lastly, no my username isn't spelled incorrectly.  "crucis" a name used in astronomy for some  star clusters and star names.  Furthermore, it was a name I used in some sci-fi related material, as well as used by friends of mine who used the name in a fictional race in a sci-fi series about 15-20 years ago, and still shows up once in a while when another book in the series is written.  It's a name that has some personal history with me, and I've used it (or some derivation thereof) on forums for the past 20 or so years.

This said by someone who in these small two paragraphs:

- inappropriately did ["who cares?".] when it should have been ["who cares?"] (no full stop after), and many style guides would have probably suggested a colon preceding that quote (e.g. "Why do people always ask this silly question: "who cares?")
- random extra spaces

- missed commas everywhere, and excessive commas elsewhere

- missed capitalizations

- missed hyphenizations ("sci-fi-related" not "sci-fi related")

- starts sentences with conjunctions

- fails to properly use accented e's in "résumé"

Get over yourself. forums where people sh*tpost about games they like or dislike are not job applications (and frankly even that hypothetical is moot given that I work in an industry where recruiters and HR folk would happily look over typos and grammar errors in a job application if you can code worth a damn, so your "high standard" would likely get you axed pretty quickly).

Edited by thelee, Yesterday, 08:28 PM.

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 14436 posts
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
It makes me cringe if people can't just say sorry and be a mensch but instead keep on digging themselves deeper into the sh!t. That can include myself by the way.

Usually if everybody tells you that you didn't behave decently you might want to stop and reevaluate your position.
  • thelee likes this

xzar_monty

xzar_monty

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 546 posts

Given how very poor the arguments are, at this point it's surely simplest just to ignore them.

Edited by xzar_monty, Yesterday, 10:15 PM.

• thelee likes this

thelee

thelee

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1379 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Given how very poor the arguments are, at this point it's surely simplest just to ignore them.

sometimes i find it extremely hard to avoid feeding the trolls. sigh, like moth to a flame...

Edited by thelee, Today, 09:37 AM.

xzar_monty

xzar_monty

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 546 posts

I know very well what you're talking about. But when someone gets as obstinate as in this case, there's apparently no hope of the message getting across.

It's funny: when you make a mistake as blatant as this, owning up to it nearly always gains you respect, 'cos we all do the same from time to time. But continuing to dig the hole always makes things worse, always.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

vanyel54