Is the game stable enough for Ironman run?

Hey guys, I purposefully held off playing Deadfire until all the DLC's came out and the game would be reasonably well patched, started a run on POTD + 5 challenges (Woedica, Galawain, Ondra, Berath, Hylea) and, with the except of Vela constantly dying and forcing me to reload, the game isn't too hard. I'm currently level 11 and reached Dunnage. From what i've read on the forums, it will get progressively easier the more you go up in levels, so i figure i should attempt a Triple Crown run for a real challenge, and dump Hylea/Berath challenges because they're too much of a hazard.

Anyone else here completed a TC run without encountering major bugs or crashes and whatnot? Also, if you could point out specific moments where i could insta die, that would also be very helpful (such as scripted text scenarios where the wrong choice could kill you, etc.). Thanks!

1) Don't tell Berrie you will take the wheel at the start of the game.

2) Also, maybe not piss of Ryrmrgand too much. You'll know when. I haven't died there, but that was due to me being very perceptive and Rymrgand using some pretty large writing on the wall. 

• Like 2

Nerf Troubadour!

Hey guys, I purposefully held off playing Deadfire until all the DLC's came out and the game would be reasonably well patched, started a run on POTD + 5 challenges (Woedica, Galawain, Ondra, Berath, Hylea) and, with the except of Vela constantly dying and forcing me to reload, the game isn't too hard. I'm currently level 11 and reached Dunnage. From what i've read on the forums, it will get progressively easier the more you go up in levels, so i figure i should attempt a Triple Crown run for a real challenge, and dump Hylea/Berath challenges because they're too much of a hazard.

Anyone else here completed a TC run without encountering major bugs or crashes and whatnot? Also, if you could point out specific moments where i could insta die, that would also be very helpful (such as scripted text scenarios where the wrong choice could kill you, etc.). Thanks!

I would personally not recommend ironman unless you can mod in autosaving. Deadfire is way more stable than PoE1 but still not stable enough. In PoE1 I lost a few runs from soft-locks and hard crashes, and I would still prefer doing ironman in PoE1 than in Deadfire because of the presence of autosaves that I can backup easily. (In fact, I may never do ironman in Deadfire for precisely this reason, even though I could count on one hand the number of crashes I've had in 600+ hours of playing. All you need is one to ruin your day.)

Also as asnjas recommends, if you have to ask about possible instadeath moments, perhaps you're not ready for an ironman run :)

(especially since you haven't seen the entire game yet. at least see what the crit path is like. sentiments about the game difficulty can be obsolete due to a lot of rebalancing that has occured. Back in 1.0, Ashen Maw/Ukaizo was a cakewalk even at level 14. Now, Ashen Maw requires a little bit more skill and can spiral out of control, especially on Berath's--you could end up pulling an entire section of the map. Depending on what faction you side with, you can end up with a brutal high-level fight just doing that as well. And even at level 20, Ukaizo fight can be a challenge if you're used to just brute-forcing your way through a fight and/or aren't used to the multi-part encounters that become more common in SSS or FS. Though I guess actually you can trivially skip this fight if you don't care about the role-playing consequences to do so.)

2) Also, maybe not piss of Ryrmrgand too much. You'll know when. I haven't died there, but that was due to me being very perceptive and Rymrgand using some pretty large writing on the wall. 

i think every time you talk to rymrgand you can be instakilled, both in VTC and in BoW. I seem to remember having to reload because I sassed off a bit too much.

there's also a few encounters on the world map and one in a dungeon that can result in insteadeath if you don't have the right stats. Sevearl encounters (especially in SSS) are generous with giving you injuries, which can be death if you have too many. Not so many of these just on the critical path though.

Edited by thelee
  • Like 3

I would personally not recommend ironman unless you can mod in autosaving. Deadfire is way more stable than PoE1 but still not stable enough. In PoE1 I lost a few runs from soft-locks and hard crashes, and I would still prefer doing ironman in PoE1 than in Deadfire because of the presence of autosaves that I can backup easily. (In fact, I may never do ironman in Deadfire for precisely this reason, even though I could count on one hand the number of crashes I've had in 600+ hours of playing. All you need is one to ruin your day.)

Also as asnjas recommends, if you have to ask about possible instadeath moments, perhaps you're not ready for an ironman run :)

(especially since you haven't seen the entire game yet. at least see what the crit path is like. sentiments about the game difficulty can be obsolete due to a lot of rebalancing that has occured. Back in 1.0, Ashen Maw/Ukaizo was a cakewalk even at level 14. Now, Ashen Maw requires a little bit more skill and can spiral out of control, especially on Berath's--you could end up pulling an entire section of the map. Depending on what faction you side with, you can end up with a brutal high-level fight just doing that as well. And even at level 20, Ukaizo fight can be a challenge if you're used to just brute-forcing your way through a fight and/or aren't used to the multi-part encounters that become more common in SSS or FS. Though I guess actually you can trivially skip this fight if you don't care about the role-playing consequences to do so.)

i think every time you talk to rymrgand you can be instakilled, both in VTC and in BoW. I seem to remember having to reload because I sassed off a bit too much.

there's also a few encounters on the world map and one in a dungeon that can result in insteadeath if you don't have the right stats. Sevearl encounters (especially in SSS) are generous with giving you injuries, which can be death if you have too many. Not so many of these just on the critical path though.

Thanks for the in depth advice. I have finished Triple Crown in PoE1 and never encountered a crash, if you say Deadfire is even more stable, that gives me confidence. I also generally check out every single detail about upcoming encounters, got like 10 guide tabs open every time i play, so there's little room for surprises. But i think i will finish the game once beforehand, just so i can get a feel of how the very tough encounters in the game are and adjust accordingly (i plan to kill everything in my TC run, including megabosses).

Do you know which things can result in instadeath, other than talking **** to Rymrgand?

I'm prepping for a Trial of Iron POTD run, but I don't think I've run into anything that instakills you without the right stat checks yet.

I do not want another disaster like what happened in my PoE1 run with Trial of Iron on - I was wrapping up White March 2 and was at the end of the base game, with almost everything completed, and got Aloth permadeth'd with all his gear in that Durgans Battery elevator - was furious.

Do you know which things can result in instadeath, other than talking **** to Rymrgand?

I think there's one other, involving Eothas, at the end of the game. But for the most part, the game makes it pretty obvious, and gives you the option of going back in dialogue.