Favorite race for your character and "best" or most versatile race to pick.

Sorry if i'm starting too many topics it's just that i recently discovered this forum and I've been playing this game for a while, only thinking about ideas, and to find out what other people would think that know more about this game.

What is your favorite race to play like if you'd start a custom party of 5 what race would you pick and what builds?

I myself really love mountain dwarves just because of the look pretty much. Reminds me a bit of The Hobbit movies.

I'd love to hear your detailed thoughts as well!

Depends for whom, and in what game.

For MC in Deadfire, it's important both the looks and the racial for me.

So first I choose the best racial that would suit my build.

And after that choose from: human, pale/wood elf, fire/moon godlike. If they have that racial - good. If not - I console swap it, and somehow "roleplay" the change.

For example I had a human in PoE1 once, with Hunter's Instincts because "he was rised by boreal dwarves".

For non-MC hirelings, the pool of (visually) suitable races is bigger. I like having an orlan or dwarf around.

Power-level wise, I do like:

- humans (if I can guarantee the triggering of Fighting Spirit) (it's also good if the build is focused around having high number of engagements)

- wood elves (dex aff resistance is nice)

- pale elves (don't give a damn about fire and frost damage)

- hearth orlans (if the build is in dire need of high crit-chance)

- moon godlikes (with mod)

- fire godlikes (with mod; and if I can guarantee the triggering of Battle Forged and keeping it)

- death godlikes (if the party is build around Barring Deaths Door and there are Shieldbearers in party)

P.S. Not saying that other races have worse racials... but they are more situational. Additionally I had a feeling that status resistances are a bit asymmetric, e.g:

- Enemies do use paralyze more often than enfeeble. They hobble more often than sicken.

- Plus getting paralyze downgraded to immobilized is more important than enfeebled to weakened for majority of ranged characters.

Edited by MaxQuest

This is a very broad question. I think any race is ok, there are no critically important traits among race bonuses, but there are indeed some powerful combos.

For support - a nature godlike who is a lifegiver druid can synergise both racial and class bonuses to reach a very high power level to do extreme healing.

For striking - Hearth orlan has a nice useful bonus for those builds where you need to crit often.

At the same time you can max resolve with him.

In general - I think moon godlikes have the most versatile and the easiest to use bonus. Healing with autotrigger is always good be you a support, be you a damager, be you a tank.

• Like 1

For most situations human. 

Mountain Dwarves downgrade to con affiction is helpful. It's bad when you lose your healing ability if you depend on it for face tanking in potd upscale solo.

Either of the elf races. Probably the wood elf is better with the downgrade to dex afflictions.

For builds that focus on buffing power level the one extra from Nature Godlike is nice.

Barbarians have nice synergy with death godlike. Any combo with that race and class is probably the best in game at taking out the trash mobs.

In a party situation or with summons solo Hearth orlan has a nice boost to accuracy at times.

For some solo the other orlan. Getting a bad resolve affliction can be the end of things.

For healer types the +2 might from Amaua makes heals that much better.

I largely agree with MaxQuest's list.  Though there are enough items / talents / foods that give Dexterity affliction resistance/immunity that I have a hard time choosing wood elves over something else.

@MaxQuest - for BDD builds, do you believe the +3PL from Death Godlike is enough to overcome the downside of not having helmet (e.g., using Revku hat for interrupt immunity) and the added accuracy of a Human build under BDD?  I've typically run Human for BDD for these reasons, especially wanting the extra accuracy in boss / megaboss fights.  I had the sense I could stack enough PL from items and buffs, vs. accuracy always being valuable.  Curious on your thoughts.  (Also the hat slot for no interrupts or for extra damage / acc).

I always go Nature Godlike for Druids for Theme and the fact that it's super easy to self-buff to get the Godlike PL bonus - though generally this is for party builds and not solo builds.

Edited by brasilgringo

I largely agree with MaxQuest's list.  Though there are enough items / talents / foods that give Dexterity affliction resistance/immunity that I have a hard time choosing wood elves over something else.

True that)

It just happened (build-wise) that I have often taken Captain's Banquet over Shark Soup, and had no slots left for those items. But otherwise... yeap.

@MaxQuest - for BDD builds, do you believe the +3PL from Death Godlike is enough to overcome the downside of not having helmet (e.g., using Revku hat for interrupt immunity) and the added accuracy of a Human build under BDD?  I've typically run Human for BDD for these reasons, especially wanting the extra accuracy in boss / megaboss fights.  I had the sense I could stack enough PL from items and buffs, vs. accuracy always being valuable.  Curious on your thoughts.  (Also the hat slot for no interrupts or for extra damage / acc).

I always go Nature Godlike for Druids for Theme and the fact that it's super easy to self-buff to get the Godlike PL bonus - though generally this is for party builds and not solo builds.

+3 PL, usually means +3 accuracy, +15% base damage, +15% base duration, +0.75 penetration,

with a few minor exceptions:

- Slicken and Repulsing Seal will get +6 accuracy according to PL-thread.

- Soul Annihilation will get +30% base damage

So...

- for a cc-oriented BDD'ed character Fighting Spirit will be a better choice compared to Pallid Fate. Provided that human can also equip Acina's Tricorn (for +5 ranged acc, which works with spells too), or Helm of the White Void (+10 acc with afflictions), or Thaos' Headdress (if the target is flanked).

- for a non-dot damage dealer, I would still go for human

- but for a dot-damage dealer... yes, Death Godlike can be nice here.

Edited by MaxQuest
  • Like 1

I think all resistance Abilities are good enough.
A wild Orlan barbarian with Mowdyr is immune to any kind of Hard Crowd Control while Hurt or above.

A fighter relying on unbending may like the Mountain Dwarf passive.

In general, I would say race matters far less than in PoE1 due to the most game changing bonus being nerfed.

Only Godlie is comitting cause you have to sacrifice the head slot.

Godlike are meh or bad, except Nature one (and Death Godlike is niche).

Island Aumaua, Boreal dwarves have a bit gimmick bonus, but I think it doesn't mtter much.

Edited by Elric Galad

One comment here: if you want to play a Shifter this is probably not a good idea. Giving up helmets means giving up Survivor's Tusks, which is the best Shfiter accessory and the only Soulbound item Shifters can fully benefit from. Shifters also don't constantly use active abilities, which are what benefit from Power Level. 

I just love being bigger than everyone, so Amaua for me.

Ah. So that's why I like Orlans. It's always the things you don't have... ;)

Orlans are cute and fuzzy, and maybe a slight bit dangerous

Edited by Verde

Sorry if i'm starting too many topics it's just that i recently discovered this forum and I've been playing this game for a while, only thinking about ideas, and to find out what other people would think that know more about this game.

What is your favorite race to play like if you'd start a custom party of 5 what race would you pick and what builds?

I myself really love mountain dwarves just because of the look pretty much. Reminds me a bit of The Hobbit movies.

I'd love to hear your detailed thoughts as well!

Pale Elf - lots of bosses do fire/frost damage so that +4 armor is damn stupid for a tank

Human - if you are going to synergise it with say barbarian, rogue streetfighter or barring death's door and plan to be lower than bloodied most of the time then this is a must.

Crit Orlan - really good for ranged units 

One comment here: if you want to play a Shifter this is probably not a good idea. Giving up helmets means giving up Survivor's Tusks, which is the best Shfiter accessory and the only Soulbound item Shifters can fully benefit from. Shifters also don't constantly use active abilities, which are what benefit from Power Level. 

Fair enough. I never play shifters, only nukers/healers.