nfl 2019-2020

Gromnir

2 hours ago, Volourn said:

A measily 4-4 now.

KC

Gb

I'm sitting at 4-4 for my pick'em, although one of them was me picking against the Packers for superstitious reasons - still counts, though. It's been a (thankfully) chaotic playoffs year.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

3 hours ago, Mannock said:

All I know is that if the Packers win the Superbowl, all the analytics people will whine about the Packers being the most fradulent Superbowl winner ever and throw twentyeleven statistics why they shouldn't have won.

every few years there needs be a most fraudulent. broncos in 2015 with peyton manning having a passer rating in bottom three o' nfl? 'course 'cause manning were qb folks somehow forget how good the defense were... deserves a place alongside 85-86 bears and 00-01 ravens.  the bears and ravens both had far better offenses to take pressure off the defense. 

at this point, with teams remaining, am suspecting unless the 49ers win, the fraudulent label is gonna stick to whomever takes home the hardware. 

regardless, in football most fraudulent is a label which lingers in memory 'bout as long as that guy from memento could recollect. so enjoy the playoff run as long as it lasts.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

4 minutes ago, Hurlshot said:

Hard to imagine any team with Rodgers being considered a fraud, particularly with him still being at the top of his game. I'd rank the QB's left from best to worst as Rodgers, Mahomes, Tannehill, and Jimmy G.

am thinking a few packer fans, people who has had to watch rodgers the last two years, might disagree with your rankings.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/qbr/_/seasontype/2

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Well, QBR wouldn't personally be my stat of choice, but yeah (...usually better to look at a few different things for a more complete picture than just one composite stat anyways - QBR and passer rating are the "let's boil it down as simple and contextless as possible" stats). He has been uncharacteristically inaccurate this season, lots of trouble throwing downfield, not as quick on his feet anymore, is more paranoid of interceptions than ever before to the point of preferring to throw stuff away than give receivers a shot if there's even a slight chance of an interception... I wouldn't close the book on him yet, being that it's literally only his second scheme/playcaller in his career (outside of like half a season back in...2015 when McCarthy temporarily let the OC call plays so McCarthy could focus more on the team as a whole?) and it's possible he's still recovering from his injuries to a degree, but he has definitely been playing well below his normal level the past two years. He's still been pretty good, but...inconsistent. He's my favorite player (and a big reason I got into football in the 2013 season), so I hope he can have another elite year or two a la Drew Brees, Tom Brady, et al. have had before at advanced ages...but those guys haven't gotten hurt like he has.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

16 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

Well, QBR wouldn't personally be my stat of choice, but yeah (...usually better to look at a few different things for a more complete picture than just one composite stat anyways - QBR and passer rating are the "let's boil it down as simple and contextless as possible" stats). 

am agreeing on qbr, particular as it disproportionately favors mobile qbs as 'posed to pure pocket passers. nevertheless, instead o' a long-winded analysis o' the past three seasons from rodgers, which wouldn't be uncharacteristic o' one o' our posts, we thought a bit o' shorthand were warranted.

can't recall speaking to a packers fan for any length o' time who hasn't expressed a degree o' concern regarding rodgers over at least past two years. such fans is often quick to find reasons why rodgers is having difficulties, but there is recognition o' diminished performance from the league mvp qb.

HA! Good fun!

• Like 1

Yeah, it's definitely concerning, especially when you consider that while the Packers receivers have been pretty poor (but not terrible as we have at least had Davante Adams) as a unit for a couple years now, we have had a good to great offensive line pretty much the entire time. Still has had trouble being consistent. If you look at years from other elite/great QBs who have "mysteriously" had bad years, like Tom Brady this year, it almost always follows having a bad offensive line that year...but Rodgers hasn't had that excuse. So...not great.

I say "two years" because I remember him looking pretty great to start the 2017 season, even if the team itself did not (and we did start 4-1 due to a lot of heroics by him before he broke his collarbone in the 6th game). His final game against the Panthers put a bit of a malus on his stats for the year, but I thought it was pretty clear that he had not recovered from his broken collarbone yet and he had only played because it was be eliminated otherwise (I remember him not even having the strength to throw the ball downfield that game - borderline irresponsible to have let him play just to save an already virtually lost season).

Edited by Bartimaeus

Rodgers has been quietly not that great this year, but he's still the QB left in the playoffs that scares me the most in a late game pressure situation just because I have lived through the slasher film horrors of him ripping the beating heart out of the chest of muh Boys... multiple times. The mental scars have not healed. 😣

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

10 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

Yeah, it's definitely concerning, especially when you consider that while the Packers receivers have been pretty poor (but not terrible as we have at least had Davante Adams) as a unit for a couple years now, we have had a good to great offensive line pretty much the entire time. Still has had trouble being consistent. If you look at years from other elite/great QBs who have "mysteriously" had bad years, like Tom Brady this year, it almost always follows having a bad offensive line that year...but Rodgers hasn't had that excuse. So...not great.

I say "two years" because I remember him looking pretty great to start the 2017 season, even if the team itself did not (and we did start 4-1 due to a lot of heroics by him before he broke his collarbone in the 6th game). His final game against the Panthers put a bit of a malus on his stats for the year, but I thought it was pretty clear that he had not recovered from his broken collarbone yet and he had only played because it was be eliminated otherwise (I remember him not even having the strength to throw the ball downfield that game - borderline irresponsible to have let him play just to save an already virtually lost season).

Regarding the O-line, to be fair, last year we had Justin McCray at RG and Laine Taylor at LG and they were terrible. This year has been much better though, but Billy Turner can be a liability at times.

But yeah, Rodgers has regressed the last two years, but he is still pretty great and I wouldn't trade him for another QB in the league.

I'll do it, for a turnip.

DnD item quality description mod (for PoE2) by peardox

Patrick Mahomes II is a MONSTER. That run to score a TD and take the lead near the end of the half was ridiculous.

Edit: It's the start of the 4th quarter and the Chiefs are poised to score and put you down by 11; if you're Mike Vrabel, is this the time to cut your **** off?

Chiefs go up by 18, GGWP. Not even **** cutting will save the Titans now. Mahomes is just too damn good.

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

The Packers better find an answer for the Niners rushing attack and they better find it REAL soon.

Edit: Ouch. Just when the Pack had a promising drive going they turn it over. Barty, Mannock, blink twice if you're still OK.

Packers have to stop the Niners right here. If San Fran scores a TD off this fumble I think the game is just over.

Okay, this game is OVER. Sorry Barty and Mannock. Handsome Jimmy doesn't need to throw another pass in this game, the Niners run blocking is out of this world spectacular.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 2

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

lmao

• Gasp! 1

The Packers' offense came alive in the second half, but they were just way too far behind. The Niners rushing attack was the most impressive I've seen in a very long time. In a league that's more pass-heavy than it's ever been, seems you can still win with rushing.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

ya remember how I said we'd need to play perfectly, get lucky, and not ever fall behind by more than a score? we fell behind by 4 scores, got a bunch of bad bounces, and played horribly. whoops.

• Like 1

So, when does the scouting combine start?

But seriously, maybe now you see where the "most fradulent" narrative came from? It was super embarrasing. For the second time this season. It was just plain bad all over.

With all that said, it's still a way better season that anyone expected, including myself. Happy and proud of the team but still a bit sour to go out in the way we did.

• Like 1

I'll do it, for a turnip.

DnD item quality description mod (for PoE2) by peardox

RIP (retire in peace) Eli Manning, :(.

• Like 1

I feel like the Niners are the overally better team, if you compare them across every unit, but the Chiefs have Mahomes and there's almost no limit to what he can do. If the Chiefs can get up a couple scores early and force the Niners to abandon the run, they should take this without too much trouble. If the Niners can stay ahead or even close, their ridiculous running game against a somewhat suspect run defense could be the key to keepjng Mahomes off the field. Tough call.

I'll take the Niners, mainly because I see EVERYBODY picking the Chiefs. Also, I'm gonna ride or die with my boy Handsome Jimmy.

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

If I were doing it in terms of percentiles, I'd give it to the 49ers with a roughly 60-40 split. Not a strong favorite, but a favorite. And since I want the Chiefs to win, that makes it a no-brainer to choose the 49ers, :p.

• Haha 1