nfl 2019-2020

Gromnir

Is it just me or is the NFL particularly hard to watch this year? Never mind my team being crappy, I had to suffer through like 10 8-8 seasons in a row at one point, but I was always able to find other exciting stuff to watch as soon as it became obvious that muh Boys were doing Jack and **** that season. But this season, I just can't find anything compelling. There have been a few fun games here and there and Lamar Jackson Mania was fun for a hot second, but overall I'm finding this season excruciatingly dull. I can't even get that excited to watch Patrick Mahomes. Maybe it's  just me?

• Like 2

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

9 hours ago, Mannock said:

It was something. Scrappy and scruffy. But a win is a win. I'll take it.

there is always a few ref blunders and a team needs play through 'em. no excuses.

am nevertheless sympathetic to the detroit lions and their fans, 'cause there were multiple clear wrong ref blunders which went against the lions in the last half o' the last quarter o' the game. green bay played "scrappy" and toughed it out, but to detroit

giphy.gif

unfortunate an otherwise good game had to end such... unless you are a gb fan, in which case you are less likely to be sympathetic.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I guess the one and only thing I have left to enjoy this season is The Legend of Gardner Flint Minshew II. That's my mother****er. If I were to get a Minshew jersey, would that be cheating on my team? Would Jerry smell a different team's perfume on me and throw my stuff out of the window?

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I'm of the opinion that any penalties that aren't strictly a matter of player safety should be eliminated, simply because the amount of penalties have gotten insane and it's hurting the sport. The biggest casualties of this would be a good percentage (but not all) of holding on offense (...and instantly, offensive line play gets better across the league, which is currently a serious problem both in terms of performance and penalties - ye' gods, so many holding penalties every game), and on the other side of the ball, you get rid of a lot of pass interference calls as well. You still can't mug receivers, but hand fight to your heart's desire, don't ever turn your head around to play for the ball, etc. I would also think that makes referees' jobs much easier and lets them focus on the stuff that actually matters, but who knows, maybe they start screwing that up, too.

I've heard the "you shouldn't let the game be in a position to be decided by the refs" defense a hundred times for these sorts of incidents, but it always rings hollow for me, then and now. The NFL is designed for parity, and it's not a coincidence that many games end up being within a TD between a win and a loss, where the referees putting a thumb on the scale absolutely does affect who wins. So sure, Detroit had many opportunities to put away the game (had an amazing first quarter, did little to nothing the rest of the game), but yeah, they got screwed.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

20 minutes until game time and I'm feeling very calm about this game against the Raiders. In other words it has all the signs of a trap game.

Go Pack Go.

*edit*

Aw yes! Tony Romo doing the game today. Christmas came early.

Edited by Mannock

I'll do it, for a turnip.

DnD item quality description mod (for PoE2) by peardox

Muh Boys won, and thus we get the TRIUMPHANT return of the Jerry gif. I'm sure you're all excited.

source.gif

On a serious note, it turns out the Eagles are even more terrible than muh Boys. Well, it could also be that they're all types of banged up. I guess we'll find out when we play them again later on, assuming they're healthy then. 

It's entirely possible we make the playoffs, somebody from the smoldering tire fire that is the NFC East has to. This could be a year a 7-9 team gets in again. Even if we do get in, we'll make our customary early exit.

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

2 hours ago, Keyrock said:

Muh Boys won, and thus we get the TRIUMPHANT return of the Jerry gif. I'm sure you're all excited.

On a serious note, it turns out the Eagles are even more terrible than muh Boys. Well, it could also be that they're all types of banged up. I guess we'll find out when we play them again later on, assuming they're healthy then. 

It's entirely possible we make the playoffs, somebody from the smoldering tire fire that is the NFC East has to. This could be a year a 7-9 team gets in again. Even if we do get in, we'll make our customary early exit.

I was actually sursprised the Cowboys won, as they didn't manage to budge the Jets last week. But good for you. The longer Jason Garret stays as head coach for the Cowboys, the better for the Packers. :)

As for the Packers, the offense balled out yesterday, despite that Devante Adams wasn't on the field. Much encouraging. But if we should nitpick, and we should, the defense gave up way too much big plays. Been happening the last couple of games prior to that too. I'm a bit worried the other teams have "figured Mike Pettine out". 

I'll do it, for a turnip.

DnD item quality description mod (for PoE2) by peardox

I find it funny that whenever Dak lights up a dog**** team all the talking heads say "Jerry needs to pay Dak whatever he wants", then when we get smoked by good team those same talking heads say "good thing Jerry hasn't given Dak too much money yet". Can we let the season play out and worry about this then? Please?

I'll say this about Dak, he doesn't run a lot, but when he does run he is very effective. Part of me wants him to run more often, but I think part of his success running is that he doesn't do it often enough that teams start keying in on him taking off. He does it just enough that when the Boys run the option (something they should do more often), defenses have to honor the possibility of him keeping it.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Dak Prescott's level of play (not style, mind you, but level) reminds me a lot of Kirk Cousins': he and his team will destroy and pile up great stats against lesser teams, but there's a sickening tendency for them to fold in the worst ways against good teams or in season-breaking situations. The key, it seems then, is to ideally never find yourself in those kinds of situations, but that's not really how football works. It especially becomes harder once you actually pay them real money and the quality of their supporting cast starts to drop, and then you start adding in key injuries occurring as the season progresses. ...Uh-oh.

In contrast, look no further than the Packers walloping the Cowboys a number of times throughout the years in critical games even while the talent and injury disparity between the two teams has often been absolutely nuts (that 2016 playoff game we had absolutely no business even playing in, never mind winning - we were broken on so many levels that year and that game). I don't pretend to understand how it keeps happening, but it does. Maybe it's time for a coaching change.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 2

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

I watched the Dolphins/Steelrs game last night. Wow the Dolphins are terrible. That is actually only the second NFL game I watched this season. I see what everyone means about poor attendance though. Pittsburgh is not a place I'd expect to see so many empty seats. Maybe the NFL has priced the average fan right out of the stadium. Not sure what is going  on. I know I've largely lost interest in it. Still LOVE college ball. My Saturdays in the fall are sacrosanct. But Sundays... just other things I'd rather do than watch a great game played without passion.  

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

What is the difference between these three? The one in the middle made a franchise successful!
Image result for jameis winston and marcus mariota with mickey mouse

Edited by Guard Dog
  • Haha 2
  • Gasp! 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

It was pretty bad. The offensive line got manhandled similarly to week 1 @ Bears, which got Aaron Rodgers doing that thing that magnifies the problem tenfold where he refuses to take shorter plays and instead keeps trying to sit in the pocket for ten seconds waiting for that big play downfield that never comes. In other words, the exact opposite of what you want to happen in a situation where your offensive line is getting destroyed.

• Like 1

Muh Boys beat the Giants, so no big celebration, on account of how bad the G-Men are (sorry Volo... not sorry). Still, a win is a win, so here's the customary Jerry gif:

giphy.gif

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Every Giants loss makes me smile evilly as people need to stop pointing fingers at Eli. How many turnovers is the rook gonna have? He has talent but the Giants' issues is franchise wide not Eli specific. He can go elsewhere and perform well.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

11 hours ago, Volourn said:

Every Giants loss makes me smile evilly as people need to stop pointing fingers at Eli. How many turnovers is the rook gonna have? He has talent but the Giants' issues is franchise wide not Eli specific. He can go elsewhere and perform well.

I agree with you there, the Giants being terrible this year is not on Eli or Daniel Jones. I mean, the one big concern I see with Daniel Jones is how much he fumbles. But, the Giants have much bigger issues than that, like the complete and utter lack of a secondary. In both Cowboys victories our wide outs were so ridiculously open at times that I was questioning if the G-Men had any DBs at all.

On the bright side, y'all have Saquon Barkley, who is a flat out MONSTER.

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

I'm hoping this will be the Cowboys', "Wow, the Cowboys are actually good...for real!" game, where they then immediately get embarrassed the next week to someone much worse.

:biggrin:

22 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

I'm hoping this will be the Cowboys', "Wow, the Cowboys are actually good...for real!" game, where they then immediately get embarrassed the next week to someone much worse.

:biggrin:

Y'all dropped the ball when we asked you for a favor with the Eagles. Don't expect us to do you any favors this week. :-

• Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Hey, I'm of the opinion that we may very well be frauds, too. We're probably just better frauds than the Cowboys is all, :p.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

NFL is such a danged copycat league. Whooping the Cowboys at AT&T Stadium is the Packers' thing! :(

(e): Of course, right after I say that, the Cowboys get 2 TDs...

Edited by Bartimaeus