nfl 2019-2020

Gromnir

I cant believe a team is already giving up on the 10th pick from last year.

Yeah, I think the Cardinals are stupid if they move on from Rosen. I mean they even traded up for him; ie spent a lot of ammo on him, just a season ago.

Sure he didn't perform great this past season, but he hadn't much quality pieces around him either. I think they'd be much better off trying to upgrade their team (especially the O-line) than going after a new QB.

I'll do it, for a turnip.

DnD item quality description mod (for PoE2) by peardox

If the Dolphins or Jaguars or Giants get Rosen for a 3rd round pick (which seems right) they are getting a steal.

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

It has to be a pre-draft smokescreen. If you act like youre going to use the #1 pick, then someone else will offer even more to trade up to that pick?

seems plausible. however, am gonna admit, this particular rumour has legs, so to speak. 

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/108392-nfl-2019-2020/?p=2141072

if is a smokescreen, then cardinals have been doing a good job o' selling it as something more substantial, 'cause rumor started in earlyish-to-mid february and has only gotten more believable thanks to cardinals coach comments.  am admitting, we never were convinced rosen were a franchise qb, but he were getting slobberknockered last year-- no nfl qb were protected worse.  this kinda rumour doesn't happen unless the cardinals is supporting the rumour, which if they ain't serious 'bout trading him, sends a bad message to a young qb who may be having confidence issues after a disastrous rookie campaign.

regardless, am admitting we were having a difficult time believing the rumour when we first heard it, but...

'course as we noted elsewhere, the real 2019 nfl draft qb mystery for us is the buccaneers.  perhaps the bucs is not convinced any o' the top qbs in 2019 is franchise and they are gonna wait for herbert from oregon?  understandable, but bucs didn't even wait for the draft to do their roberto durán impression?

11928003.jpg

as usual, is a bit o' pre-draft drama related to qbs.  

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Here's something that's not a smokescreen. Case Keenum traded to the Redskins. I just don't know how to assess that. I mean is he a place holder for the possible return of Alex Smith in the 2020/21 season? An expensive place holder in that case.

On the other hand, they might think that if he tanks, they hopefully will have a high draft pick next year and can draft their franchise QB.

But the Redskins are in a pickle with the QB situation, so whatever they had done, it would have been risky I suppose.

*edit*

Oh, and if the Cardinals are just playing tricks right now, it's some masterful pupeteering and I would applaud them for it.

As for the Bucs, yeah they need a new QB. But I think it's smart of them to not go all in on this QB class which is rather thin.

Edited by Mannock

I am a lifetime Bucs fan but not a Jaemis Winston fan (anymore). But there is hope a new coaching staff and new scheme will benefit him. There is no doubt he has talent.  There is also no doubt he has character and work ethic issues. So $20M for one more chance to straighten him out is a small enough price considering the other options. A rookie QB basically means 2-3 seasons of develpment and with Flacco off the board who could you even trade for that would be an upgrade? Rosen is an unknown, Keenum, Bortles, Tanyhill are all damaged goods. No JW is a better option. 

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

even if the bucs think enduring winston for one more season is reasonable, why make it obvious? bucs have the 5th pick in the draft. giants have the 6th. the stoopid trades in the draft is gonna be qb related. undercuts some o' the bucs pick leverage if they functional make clear they is willing to suffer jameis winston for at least one more season.  odd.

also $21 million ($20.92) is a big pile o' cash for a qb you don't want. throw in the towel in february is bad.  throw in the towel and then eat the towel with $21 million in secret sauce makes less sense to us. 

on these boards we highlighted winston character issues before he were drafted, but we honest thought he would be a better-than-average nfl signal caller when he weren't suffering some kinda suspension, and in spite o' the headaches he would inevitable cause ownership with his shenanigans. gonna admit, jameis winston on-field failure has surprised us a bit.  

2015 draft were, at the time and in retrospect, kinda weak. 2019 is also not a strong draft save for at a couple positions.  

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I am a lifetime Bucs fan but not a Jaemis Winston fan (anymore). But there is hope a new coaching staff and new scheme will benefit him. There is no doubt he has talent.  There is also no doubt he has character and work ethic issues. So $20M for one more chance to straighten him out is a small enough price considering the other options. A rookie QB basically means 2-3 seasons of develpment and with Flacco off the board who could you even trade for that would be an upgrade? Rosen is an unknown, Keenum, Bortles, Tanyhill are all damaged goods. No JW is a better option.

I'd actually say Rosen is a better option. But other than that there's crap on the board. I get why the Bucs stick with him for another season even though that most likely will mean they have to spend a whole lot more ammo next season to get a new QB (regardless if it's in FA or via draft).

When that decision had to be made Rosen was no available (if he really is now). Flacco was a strong alternative but by no means a certain get. After that the options fell off considerably. Maybe Arians and his staff can turn JW around. Maybe they can succeed where two other coaching staffs have failed. There is always that hope. 

Thomas Sowell

the bucs gave +$41 mil for three years, with $27 mil guaranteed next two years, to arguable one o' the worst starting left tackles in the league.  am knowing good offensive tackles is always paid big, but message to the bucs:

1555ea87465285635ae7bd7b4156-incompetenc

as a fan you got no choice but to hope.  am sympathizing, but as an outsider, we would not place any trust in buccaneer player personnel decisions at this point. 

HA! Good Fun!

No argument from me there. Jason Licht should have followed Koetter out the door.

Thomas Sowell

Packers sign a whole slew of guys. Makes the return of Clay Matthews and Randall Cobb pretty unlikely, and Nick Perry was jettisoned as well. Feels like a little bit of an end of an era. There's a history of signing a bunch of free agents at the same time not working out, guess we'll wait and see.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Packers sign a whole slew of guys. Makes the return of Clay Matthews and Randall Cobb pretty unlikely, and Nick Perry was jettisoned as well. Feels like a little bit of an end of an era. There's a history of signing a bunch of free agents at the same time not working out, guess we'll wait and see.

Yeah, they're taking a chance of course, but what was the alternative? To get two rookie edge rushers in the draft to play along Fackrell and Gilbert (and keeping Perry I suppose)? I rather take my chances with the two Smiths they brought in (even though I get that they most likely will earn a lot more than they produce on the field).

What I really like about this FA surge is that in the draft, the Packers don't have to steer away from the best player on the board and go after need. At pick #12 they can go after a blue chip player, regardless position.

I guess you could say safety and TE are still a bit of a need, perhaps safety in particular (if they don't convert a corner to safety). But safety is not that huge of a need it was two days ago and I'm pretty sure Packers will pick a TE in the first round (Hockenson if he's available at 12 and if he's not, they will pick Fant or Irv Smith Jr at 30, depending on who's available).

This is a big get for the Browns. But it didn't come cheap.It also signals what the Giants intentions are for this season. 

Thomas Sowell

giants is clear dedicated to a multiyear rebuilding process. add draft picks and an undervalued guy such as jabrill peppers is a good start to the process. odell beckham is a premier kinda wr, but am thinking the giants offense this coming year is gonna be sucky regardless o' off-season moves.  eli didn't play particular poor in 2018 considering the pressure he were suffering and lack o' help he were receiving.  draft a rb who is instant top 5 in the league at the position and the offense with a vet qb were nevertheless sub-average in 2018. is doubtful odell beckham woulda' been a rock o' support for the team in transition; bitching and moaning every week woulda' been our guess. particular if the giants is drafting a rookie qb who is gonna need a couple years to develop. obj, while a fantastic receiving target, could be a less than ideal teammate during critical first couple years for haskins or lock or jones. 

even so, is tough to see the giants as anything but the loser in the recent trade with the browns. giants now need a #1 receiver and given they likely will need trade-up to get haskins (or whomever,) their draft options will be limited when attempting to fill other needs.  no matter who they choose as a replacement for obj, there will be a production drop-off as am not seeing any wr available via free agency or draft as an odell beckham equivalent.  get extra picks is nice, but am not able to see the trade as anything other than a net loss for the guys from gotham.

all the first round qb options this year, other than murray, is serious developmental projects. am not actual sold on murray, but he is a guy who we could see starting year 1 and playing well... before a predictable sophomore slump. as such, if giants has given up on eli, which looks to be a given at this point, and recognizing how any rookie qb is gonna be unsuited for replacing eli in 2019, am not thinking the giants acted complete unreasonable.

as to the packers, while we thought amos were underrated, we initial thought the packers overpaid.  given what safeties made in free agency last year, and recognizing just how many quality safeties were available this year, we thought safeties would again be under-valued.  clearly the packers knew more than Gromnir, 'cause the amos contract, while large, looks like a bargain compared to the other fa safeties taken so far.  now admitted, there is more than a couple o' safety prospects current projected as 2nd and even 3rd rounders who we believe will be starting nfl safeties; is one o' the few positions o' draft depth this year.  even so, amos looks like one o' those under-the-radar fa wins which deserves more attention.

HA! Good fun!

• Like 2

Yeah, I was pretty surprised at the safety market this year compared to last. Some really crazy contracts for safeties this year, am pretty happy with 9 million a year for a young, injury-free good player vs. some of the other contracts (Landon Collins and Earl Thomas for 14 million each? Yikes...for different reasons). Most likely, given that all of our safeties were absolute junk the past year (including Clinton-Dix who we had traded to the Redskins, and whom I've noticed many Redskins fans complaining about and saying he's pretty bad since), we'll probably end up drafting someone as well. Happy to take away a defensive starter from the now formidable-looking Bears as well.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

Yeah, I was pretty surprised at the safety market this year compared to last. Some really crazy contracts for safeties this year, am pretty happy with 9 million a year for a young, injury-free good player vs. some of the other contracts (Landon Collins and Earl Thomas for 14 million each? Yikes...for different reasons). Most likely, given that all of our safeties were absolute junk the past year (including Clinton-Dix who we had traded to the Redskins, and whom I've noticed many Redskins fans complaining about and saying he's pretty bad since), we'll probably end up drafting someone as well. Happy to take away a defensive starter from the now formidable-looking Bears as well.

I'm also quite certain they'll draft a safety given that they released Brice. They are still very thin there. Maybe Adderly or Rapp perhaps?

the cops were called out to tyreek hill's home twice in a relative short period o' time. police action were due to alleged battery o' a juvenile. mr. hill is being investigated.

am gonna wait for more facts.

Not immediately jumping to conclusions? In current year? Get with the times, Gromnir.

I demand a Stephen A Smith-esque HOT TAEK right now.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

t8PK3bC.jpg

Dolphins sign Ryan Fitzpatrick. The cycle continues! His eighth team that he'll start for - wonder how many he'll get to by the end of his career?

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 2

Dolphins sign Ryan Fitzpatrick. The cycle continues! His eighth team that he'll start for - wonder how many he'll get to by the end of his career?

He's making good money out of that modus operandi, so who can blame him?

But as of right now he's not been signed as a backup, but as a starter, so that is kinda new (looking at the cycle picture).

And from what I understand, Dolphins won't trade up this year to get a QB, but rather wait until next years draft.