Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
671 replies to this topic

Keyrock

Keyrock

Obsidian Order Rodent Tamer

• Members
  • 7555 posts
  • Steam:Keyrock
  • PSN Portable ID:Unfrozen_Keyrock
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer

Does the Code Veronica remaster still have tank controls? That's my main reason for wanting a real remake, I don't care about nicer graphics that much (though I would welcome a graphical upgrade), I just can't see myself playing the game with tank controls again. I'm not going to put myself through that PITA again.

SonicMage117

SonicMage117

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3237 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
It will likely offer options to play with classic modern controls or modern casual controls just as RE1 Renastier so I wouldn't worry about it.

injurai

injurai

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2373 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Wait, there was a remaster or REmake?

Serrano

Serrano

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1210 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

There was a remaster of the remake of the original Resident Evil for PC.

https://store.steamp...rd_HD_REMASTER/

Katphood

Katphood

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2780 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Wait, there was a remaster or REmake?

Code Veronica X got a Remaster for the PS3 and a port for the PS4.

I am guessing that the tank controls are there because it is not a remake.

I could test the PS3 version but not the PS2onPS4 one.

EDIT: Okay here is some info I found on reddit.

https://www.reddit.c...vs_remaster_on/

The PS3/360 game is a port that is rendered at 720p and the PS4 release is an emulated (not ported) PS2 game at 1080p. The in-game textures have not been updated in either version, so the resolution mainly affects the presence of jaggies, and the models are low poly by today's standards anyway. Even at 720p, the PS3 game resolution looks fine on a 1080p or 4K TV. I wouldn't worry about the native resolution when deciding on a version in that sense.

What does look quite a bit different, resolution wise, is anything 2D in the game. All of the on-screen text, and all of the icons in the item menu look better on PS3, and pixelated on PS4. If you ever played the PSX games on PS3, the text and icons look more or less like that, if you had the PS3 smoothing option turned on to reduce the pixelation a bit.

The other advantage of the PS3 version is that it correctly renders in widescreen. Probably not a dealbreaker for most people here, but it's a difference.

The final point is probably the biggest difference, but a matter of opinion as to whether it gives the PS3 or PS4 version a leg up. The lighting and color of the game is quite different on PS3/360 compared to all other releases. For that version, last gen, they adjusted the lighting engine to give the game a darker feel. There seems to be a filter/shader that gives the game a bit of blur in some areas, and maybe some bloom effect? I think the darker look works well for some areas, like the prison (especially with the lighting as the guns fire). But the Palace and other areas look a bit too dark, IMO.

Just watch some gameplay videos on youtube for each version and decide what you like better. Neither version will look amazing, graphically, now.

Pretty stupid that the emulated PS4 version ends up as the inferior version. So if I were Keyrock I would stay away from it.  :cat:

Edited by Katphood, 10 February 2019 - 06:08 PM.

• Keyrock likes this

Keyrock

Keyrock

Obsidian Order Rodent Tamer

• Members
  • 7555 posts
  • Steam:Keyrock
  • PSN Portable ID:Unfrozen_Keyrock

I'll just wait and hope they make a full remake. As great as Code Veronica is, I won't be able to stomach tank controls.

Katphood

Katphood

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2780 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Oh yeah, it's here!  :dancing:

injurai

injurai

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2373 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Ah, so 1 Remake and 0 both got modern remasters.

As far as remakes, it sounds like 3 might be the next one. Probably the one that most needs to be brought up to speed now. Then hopefully they do 4 after that. For obvious reasons. Then I'm sure the revived interest will die off and Capcom will be back in the slums.

Katphood

Katphood

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2780 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

They already released 4 on modern consoles. 3 and Code Veronica seem to be the likely candidates. My only question is if the next Resi remake will be released on the 'nexgen' consoles.

Malcador

Malcador

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7909 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Pft, consoles.
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Whoops, already posted

Edited by Malcador, 11 February 2019 - 05:22 PM.

SonicMage117

SonicMage117

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3237 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Little Indie #3

Looks interesting.

Malcador

Malcador

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7909 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
https://kotaku.com/a...offs-1832571288

ActiBlizzard to cut 8% of staff

Agiel

Agiel

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 703 posts

Perhaps ActiBlizzard should take some pointers from Simon Sinek:

213374U

213374U

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5371 posts

That's the "millennials in the workplace" viral rant guy. What makes you think they didn't?

• Malcador and Katphood like this

injurai

injurai

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2373 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Different organizations of people require different types of leadership. Sometimes someone to carry the weight and demonstrate a path forward. Sometimes someone to delegate. Sometimes its fielding the overhead to clear up space and breathing room.

Blizzard failed because the leaders acted in the interest of only shareholders who were short, not shareholders who were long.

• marelooke likes this

Agiel

Agiel

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 703 posts

Certainly I can imagine if at an earnings call for Activision or Take-Two Interactive that they announced that they were going to adopt CDPR's approach to piracy their shareholders would in short order move to vote out the leadership of those companies.

Fenixp

Fenixp

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2407 posts
  • Steam:Fenixp
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Certainly I can imagine if at an earnings call for Activision or Take-Two Interactive that they announced that they were going to adopt CDPR's approach to piracy their shareholders would in short order move to vote out the leadership of those companies.

You mean using shakedown tactics to extort money from people who may or may not have pirated their game in a cute "Guilty until proved innocent" move while working with technology that's just inherently inaccurate for pinpointing individuals? I do't know, seems like something Activision's shareholders may enjoy.

• marelooke likes this

marelooke

marelooke

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1115 posts
  • Steam:marelooke
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Jim pretty much sums up my feelings about the entire "restructuring" thing:

Malcador

Malcador

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7909 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

So many minutes spent to say so very little in that annoying prat voice.

marelooke

marelooke

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1115 posts
  • Steam:marelooke
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

So many minutes spent to say so very little in that annoying prat voice.

Eh, nothing new to be sure, but given how this drives our economy (and not just video games) I guess it bears repeating.

Anyway, I think Bright Memory was mentioned here at some point. It's an episodic FPS game made by a single Chinese developer that looked rather impressive. Well, it is on sale, and while debating whether I should get it I came across a Steam review that pointed to this. So it turns out the developer admits to using stolen assets, an "issue" he will try to rectify. He doesn't want to say where he stole the assets from but according to the aforementioned Steam review these were from Bless Online and Aliens Colonial Marines, which, it would seem, means those might have finally landed in a game with some promise  :- 

Not really sure how this will affect the game going forward. It's still being sold on Steam but I imagine that if the rights holders feel like it they could very well put him out of business.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users