Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

• Please log in to reply
190 replies to this topic

Fenixp

Fenixp

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2345 posts
  • Steam:Fenixp
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
Yeah, it's good to see Respawn is developing something worthwhile after bringing us a game with fantastic SP campaign. Now I can ignore another BR game!

Azdeus

Azdeus

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 702 posts
  • Location:Sweden. The ass-end of nowhere, on the right hand side.

moron video

Why do you keep posting **** videos from this moron? He's almost on SM117 level >_<

Eh? Keep? First one from that asshat I posted...

LadyCrimson

LadyCrimson

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 9060 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

I don't know if this really qualifies as news, but I learned today that the guy (no team, just a single guy) who made the game Banished is working on something new. Very very early stages and he hasn't really specified what kind of game, just talking about programming and art tests in some posts on his site blog. http://www.shiningrocksoftware.com/

But if it's any sort of city-builder aspect - which it sounds like it may since he's talking about chr. AI, pathing and needs, etc - I might become very interested. I loved Banished.

So maybe in a couple years we'll have more details or an early access or who knows. :p

• Malcador likes this

Malcador

Malcador

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7774 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Pft, consoles.
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
He makes me realize I have wasted my life..:p

Katphood

Katphood

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2647 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Yeah, it's good to see Respawn is developing something worthwhile after bringing us a game with fantastic SP campaign. Now I can ignore another BR game!

I got excited for a second there but then I realized that the game only offers a BR mode, no team deathmatch or anything like that.

Seriously? Are BR games really that popular?! Because I haven't tried out a single one yet.

I hope BR games commit suicide. :/

Edited by Katphood, 04 February 2019 - 06:43 PM.

• Vitalis likes this

Keyrock

Keyrock

Obsidian Order Rodent Tamer

• Members
  • 7457 posts
  • Steam:Keyrock
  • PSN Portable ID:Unfrozen_Keyrock

It's one of my favorite hilarious yet tragic video game tropes, publishers attempting to jump on a fad 2 years too late. Everybody is falling over themselves trying to get that battle royale money, but it's too late, Fortnite and PUBG are firmly established as #1 and #2 and there's no changing that. It happens with every genre that becomes wildly popular. You get a #1 and a #2 that rake in money hand over fist and everybody else fights for the crumbs left over, leaving a giant pile of failed games in their wake.

• Mamoulian War, Azdeus, Katphood and 1 other like this

Katphood

Katphood

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2647 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Like WoW I guess?! But hey, if WoW is/was #1, what about early mmos such as Everquest who did fairly well, but eventually died for one reason or another.

Did I just call mmos a fad?

Ooops...

injurai

injurai

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2301 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

FF14 has been going decently strong. I wouldn't be surprised if there is a new rise in MMOs one day. They'd probably need some sort of evolution to really draw people in though.

Malcador

Malcador

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7774 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Pft, consoles.
  • Kickstarter Backer

April 25th release date.  Wait for sale. :p

• Mamoulian War and Vitalis like this

injurai

injurai

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2301 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

• Malcador likes this

SonicMage117

SonicMage117

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3187 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Majek

Majek

Obsidian Order's Whatchamacallit

• Members
  • 2920 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

It's one of my favorite hilarious yet tragic video game tropes, publishers attempting to jump on a fad 2 years too late. Everybody is falling over themselves trying to get that battle royale money, but it's too late, Fortnite and PUBG are firmly established as #1 and #2 and there's no changing that. It happens with every genre that becomes wildly popular. You get a #1 and a #2 that rake in money hand over fist and everybody else fights for the crumbs left over, leaving a giant pile of failed games in their wake.

I don't know. BLOP4 with their polished attempt rattled them pretty well, so if other keep polishing their ideas they'll earn more than enough.

And Kathphood that's what you get for living under a rock ... sand? dune? or something. Maybe you should have fun for once while playing a game.

SonicMage117

SonicMage117

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3187 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
The Lunar Steam sale is live and they have a neat little piggy system for this one lol

Keyrock

Keyrock

Obsidian Order Rodent Tamer

• Members
  • 7457 posts
  • Steam:Keyrock
  • PSN Portable ID:Unfrozen_Keyrock

I don't know. BLOP4 with their polished attempt rattled them pretty well, so if other keep polishing their ideas they'll earn more than enough.

It may have rattled PUBG a bit, but it didn't even remotely approach Fortnite. There's room for a #3 out there to make some money, but 98% of the battle royale games releasing these days are going to straight up fail. COD brings a polished product but I wonder if the release cycle will work against it, since they put out a new COD every year or so and mostly everyone abandons the last one and moves on to the next, I'm not sure if BR players will want to buy a whole new game every 12 months or so to keep playing.

Mamoulian War

Mamoulian War

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3774 posts
  • PSN Portable ID:mamoulianfh
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
Speaking about BR fad.

Say goodbye to Titanfall 3, say hello to Apex whatever...

Looks like Respawn is on the way to Death Row as well...

Fenixp

Fenixp

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2345 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
How exactly did Respawn cancel Titanfall 3 when it never got announced in the first place? In fact, most rumors on Respawn's work after Titanfall 2 point to them developing something that's not Titanfall.

Edited by Fenixp, 05 February 2019 - 12:20 PM.

Vitalis

Vitalis

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 309 posts

How exactly did Respawn cancel Titanfall 3 when it never got announced in the first place? In fact, most rumors on Respawn's work after Titanfall 2 point to them developing something that's not Titanfall.

Clearly it's just fake news.

Zoraptor

Zoraptor

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2644 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Apex is same universe as Titanfall as well, isn't it? Definitely looks like at most it was genre shift of a genuine TF3 project, most likely though it was people presuming it was Titanfall 3 being worked on when it was Apex all the time. Despite having pretty good reputations neither of the Titanfall games sold all that well so some sort of shift was always on the cards.

Seems to have been fairly well received too. I have no interest in BR games at all but a million players inside a day seems decent for a title that dropped completely randomly on a moderate sized platform- and it seems to have a decent rep for its monetisation model as well.

Mamoulian War

Mamoulian War

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3774 posts
  • PSN Portable ID:mamoulianfh
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
If something is not announced, it still can be cancelled. Respawn was in the past hiring people directly for Titanfall development.

Fenixp

Fenixp

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2345 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Respawn was in the past hiring people directly for Titanfall development.

Thus the rumors, for all you (and the two dudes on Youtube who did not bother with matters as trivial as quoting their sources properly) know they were hiring for a game internally known as 'Unannounced Titanfall Battle Royale'.

Edit: Incidentally, Another Titanfall title isn't out of the game either yet, albeit that doesn't confirm Titanfall 3 in development either. I for one am hoping for SP-focused thing! ... Won't happen, but it could!

... Also, the article quotes sources properly :-P

Edited by Fenixp, 05 February 2019 - 11:00 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

pmp10