RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

Gorth

Yup. And Steam user reviews are the worst. I've never taken their reviews into account when trying to decide on buying a game. It's so very obvious most of the negative reviews are coming with an agenda.

Eh? Most negative reviews I come across simply report performance issues, or flat out broken games. Pretty essential, especially since that kind of info is hard to come by.
  • Like 1

*looks at past few pages, doesn't see it posted yet so..*

GoG lays off a dozen ... officially is a restructuring with more hiring in the future, but an unnamed employee says they were told it was financial/they're close to being in the red etc:

https://kotaku.com/facing-financial-pressures-gog-quietly-lays-off-at-lea-1832879826

So either it all balances out somehow and it's nothing or the employee is just badmouthing or this could be the very early beginnings of a GoG downspiral? It's interesting, anyway. One does wonder how things like Epic and any others etc may affect GoG.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Also this program took a lot of money out of their pockets, while they were trying to be pro consumer. With Epic introducing lowet fee, GOG has to lower their fee as well, or lose the competiveness. My understanding is, that all that stuff and restructurizing might be most probable due to the Epic Store aftermath.

https://www.gog.com/news/conclusion_of_the_bfair_price_packageb_program

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

GOG has great curation but they need to expand their game selection and revamp user friendly features like their return policy. The latter is one of the reasons why I don't buy expensive games on GOG.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

You can't have a no questions return policy if you're drm free as it would be open to obvious abuse, so they're limited to the system they have.

GOG also has a lot of staff, a dozen is not much of a loss for them. Curation and proper support needs time and staff which is why steam does neither and outsources as much to its users as possible.

I suspect they (and CDPR themselves) aren't very sensibly organised/ managed though and the visible GOG functions are a bit of a mess. Their forum software is Geocities era, their website redesigns get progressively slower and less functional, they've managed to annoy both sjws and anti sjws and more. Definitely not in any danger of folding though, before Witcher 3 it was GOG propping the game studio up and they've been running at a (small, too) loss only in 2018 without the most profitable quarter counted. The big CDP problem is Cyberpunk taking so long to be produced while W3 sales are finally fading, and there's nothing the GOG side can do about that.

• Like 2

2077 isn't really taking that long, they had only a small team doing light prototyping early on as they got the engine up to speed. This is basically once the engine features of TW3 was more or less set. Once TW3's last DLC was shipped, that's really when 2077 development started. Of course some of the art design and lore team was a bit ahead of that. Basically all of CDPRs large titles have taken 4 years to make, and if they are sticking with those time frames reported in their investor meetings then they should be having AAA releases holiday 2019 and holiday 2021. So 2077 will probably get dated around E3.

2077 isn't really taking that long, they had only a small team doing light prototyping early on as they got the engine up to speed.

Yes, but 2012 was when C2077 was announced which makes it look delayed, and they are shifting to a release every 2 years. I'd be near absolutely confident that late 2019 was near the very latest release expectation back in 2015. The other trouble is that if they're releasing 'Witcher 4' (or whatever it is) in 2 years time it ought to be a full two years into development now, and there's no indication it is.

Edited by Zoraptor

Definitely, pipelining is essential for efficiency and that's partly why they've gone to 2 teams- but I'm of the opinion that they wanted to transition to a 2 team/ 2 project studio starting with W3 and C2077 rather than C2077 and [unannounced], and that's why C2077 has been announced so long. Witcher 3 had a big team and a fair few of its personnel should have finished there once the plot and bulk art assets had been locked down, and they should have then transitioned to C2077 at that time, now they should probably be on [unannounced] getting its art assets, world/ systems design and writing done. If they still had all of W3's modellers, world designers and writers working on W3 at time of release there was something wrong with how it was managed.

I wouldn't say they realistically expected C2077 to come out 2 years after W3 did as some transition problems would be expected, but I would have thought their reasonable expectation was for a release inside the last year with late 2019 as approaching worst case.

Edited by Zoraptor

So the new Red Dead Online update is out and... it made the game worse AGAIN. R* is ****ing it up so God damn hard, it's like they want nobody to play it. Seriously, it's hilarious. They nerfed (hunting) rewards again, made killing police npc's cost you money (not a bounty increase), they added a new bounty system that sends bounty hunters after you, which you need to pay off to get rid off (killing or avoiding them yields no rewards), they added new emotes that cost lots of gold, also added new clothes that are super expensive (hell, the stuff before was already expensive) etc. etc.

<shocked pikachu face>

It's all just so much bs, I can't put it in words anymore.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

So the new Red Dead Online update is out and... it made the game worse AGAIN. R* is ****ing it up so God damn hard, it's like they want nobody to play it. Seriously, it's hilarious. They nerfed (hunting) rewards again, made killing police npc's cost you money (not a bounty increase), they added a new bounty system that sends bounty hunters after you, which you need to pay off to get rid off (killing or avoiding them yields no rewards), they added new emotes that cost lots of gold, also added new clothes that are super expensive (hell, the stuff before was already expensive) etc. etc.

<shocked pikachu face>

Well, the micro transactions are there to make the game fun, right ? :p

Also speaking of GOG, they've added some things to their privacy policy

Direct to Account Distribution

6.8 We have a direct to account distribution feature (we’ll call it ‘GOG Direct to Account) where distribution platforms who partner with us would be able to sell games or other content to you, where you could choose for that game/content to be automatically activated within your GOG account, without the need to redeem any codes. Just to be clear, the whole purchase process is handled by the other platform, so in case of any issues with the purchase process please speak with them directly. We say a little bit more about this in the Refunds and Returns section below. Of course, anything connected to our platform’s services is still our responsibility.

7.5 Direct to Account purchases: Like we mentioned earlier, if you buy a game/content via an applicable third party distribution platform partner of ours who is using the GOG Direct to Account API, and you choose to activate the game/content on your GOG account, then the partner (not GOG) is responsible for the game/content – including for consumer law remedies like refunds and returns. For this particular matter therefore we cannot offer you Our Voluntary Returns Guarantee (because GOG didn’t sell the game/content).

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Sort of an odd trailer, I guess is way things are now.

So....I guess you should just wait a year.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

So....I guess you should just wait a year.

On the odd chance that a AAA interests me these days, "wait a year" has been my standard policy for quite some time. The last time I broke that policy was Monster Hunter World (no regrets).

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

<shocked pikachu face>

Why even bother with Rockstar anymore? Their formula has been brazenly apparent for how many years now?

I was very tempted to put this in the funny things thread but...

PcGamer - Plague Inc. is getting Anti-Vaxxers thanks to a petition

Plague Inc., the strategy sim where you create and nurture a pathogen in an attempt to destroy all the pesky humans, is now getting an anti-vaxxer scenario thanks to a Change.org petition.

• Like 7

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I was very tempted to put this in the funny things thread but...

PcGamer - Plague Inc. is getting Anti-Vaxxers thanks to a petition

Plague Inc., the strategy sim where you create and nurture a pathogen in an attempt to destroy all the pesky humans, is now getting an anti-vaxxer scenario thanks to a Change.org petition.

Ha.

That is a surprisingly entertaining game every now and again, one of the few mobile games that is actually worth it.

• Like 1