RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

Gorth

Our partners at @EpicGames have announced that #TheOuterWorlds will be coming to the Epic Games Store at launch, alongside the Windows Store. It will be released on other digital platforms 12 months later.

The Outer Worlds will still release on XBOX and PS4 on launch.

So it's a timed semi-exclusive. Epic or M$ store though I do wonder if GOG is included in those other digital platforms

Edited by ShadySands

Free games updated 3/4/21

Tatooine Jones and the Fate of Alderaan

Tatooine is wrong, he's named after a dog after all.

So, Jar-Jar Jones?

R2 Jones?

Rancor Jones? I kinda like this one.

Practice Droid Jones?

Oh my god in the third game Jones teams up with Darth Connery Vader to go on an adventure-comedy romp against the Empire. I'm digging this!

Indeed he is named after a dog, but if you want to adapt this classic dialogue, the dog name must be the same as a geographical/political entity:

Professor Sternhart: Indiana? Sounds like the name of one of your states, or of possibly a cat.

Sophia Hapgood: Actually, it was the name of a dog.

Indiana Jones: Sophia!

Edited by melkathi

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Apparently yes.

Also,

Along with these exclusives, Epic also announced a partnership with the Humble Store. Developers will be able to sell Epic Store keys via Humble, and Epic won’t receive any revenue share from those sales.

Oh me oh my, apparently, Heavy Rain, Beyond: Two Souls and Detroit: Become Human's also coming to Epic store.

And no, they did not misspell The Outer Worlds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g77FPIdz678

Edit:

Apparently, Metro Exodus sold more on Epic Store than Last Light sold on Steam in comparable period . While I'm taking this with a bit of a grain of salt as Epic was the store of this info, I've not seen a single report on heavily sub-par sales on Epic store either.

Edited by Fenixp

I'm a bit out of the loop but what's the reason for people being so upset about the actual epic store? Is it really bad to use?

Depends on what you consider "bad". It might be OK-ish technically but it's lacking a whole lot of features steam has, whether those are relevant to you is for you to decide.

The main issue (imho) is their way of doing business (just outright trying to buy customers by exclusivity rather than competing on features, or price) and the fact that they are customer unfriendly on purpose (by not allowing reviews or letting publishers pick whether they want reviews, for starters), basically all the progress that was made on information being readily availably to customers they intend to roll back so publishers can keep releasing broken products with as little repercussions as possible.

Because, face it, for most consumers there are two sources of information on a new game: platform reviews (Steam, Gog and the MS Store, all have them) and gaming "journalists". Seeing how the latter are about as reliable as leaving an alcoholic to guard a liquor store (the biggest trainwrecks from AAA publishers still get scores in the 60s and 70s...) they just try to get rid of the former.

There's also their refund policy, which apparently has improved, so I'm not sure if it's still a train-wreck but they made it as annoying as possible to get one so people, well, just wouldn't, really.

For the more "dedicated" gaming clientèle nothing really changes as we tend to rely on peer reviews and/or YouTubers anyway, but catering to publishers by actively being user-hostile doesn't particularly sit well with me.

Edited by marelooke
  • Like 2

Don't forget that Epic store is not out for a long time and keeps rolling out new features - we'll see what'll happen in the long run yet, but it makes sense to roll polished features out one after another as opposed to releasing them, untested by public, all at once

As someone who primarily favors GOG, it concerns me that Steam may eventually start doing this as well. I know that for most folks this wouldn't be an issue, but I am not a fan of Valve either.

Their first measure, the DRM complaints "review bomb" culling, doesn't exactly inspire confidence that their response will be any more pro-consumer than Epic's tactics in the first place.

• Like 5

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

I'm a bit out of the loop but what's the reason for people being so upset about the actual epic store? Is it really bad to use?

Doesn't have "features" Steam has, is a tool of the Evil Chinese and platform exclusivity is Evil is what I have gathered so far.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I wonder if any company will really ever recoup the "lost sales" of people waiting a year to buy their product. By then it can be forgotten about or purchased at a steep discount, which would offset the "second wave" of buyers?

Dunno, I guess they might view it as being able to use release hype twice, a year apart. That's partly the point of repackaging games into 'gold' or 'goty' editions after all, to get some new release publicity out of an old game. If you listen to the more ardent steam supporters nobody will buy it, slightly less ardent and they'll buy it when it comes to steam; how many of each group there are compared to the game's audience, who knows.

I don't blame them one bit because aside from that one mobile game EA has **** the bed with the Star Wars license.

Their games have sold well, there just haven't been many of them. Not really my sort of games either and they keep canceling the games that sound good, but I guess they're the ones EA thinks makes them money and they must be paying Disney a fair bit for the license.

I wouldn't expect a reincarnated LF games division to do any better, LucasArts SW performance was as bad as EA's in its later years- half arsing projects, constant rebranding, canceling projects, no focus at all- and Disney is as interested in money as EA is.

i was not planning to play it day one anyway (if at all)

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Well, sheet. I just found out the Outer Worlds will be Epic store exclusive as well. Will be interesting to see how I handle this in the future.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

It's not really an Epic exclusive though as you can also get it from the first party MS store on day 1

I've never used the MS store and have only clicked the icon accidentally so I can't offer any opinions 

Edited by ShadySands

Free games updated 3/4/21

For me it will stay the same as before, no GOG, no buy. I have big enough backlog to spent few years without worries.

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

I can wait. And if it doesn't come on Steam or GoG, I'll congratulate Microsoft for finally making me buy something from their store. Epic ist even more hungry for data that is none of their business than all other platforms combined.

And think of all the games you will lose if Epic manages to ruin Steam.

Edited by LittleRose

I feel like we need an "Epic News" thread now. :p

Well...Outer Worlds on Epic and MSstore. Neither would be my chosen place to acquire it (especially MS) and if I wait the year, that means like 1.5 years before I could play it maybe (since it likely won't be releasing until Fall? Dunno?). I mean ideally I could buy a Key for it or something and just install it without any launcher, but those days are largely gone. Pfft.

I don't know. For me it was a concession even to use Steam. And no, I would not like it if Steam started with exclusivity either - I do not worship Steam. Sigh. I don't know. I feel like more and more either I have to keep redrawing the line on personal principles or eventually have to give up (new release/larger title) gaming. It's not a feeling I enjoy either way. Guess I'm not sure exactly where my personal line absolutely stops, yet. Btw, I don't blame Obsidian. They (and publishers and whoever else) make their decisions and follow trends.  It's my decision what to accept and what not. 

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts