RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

Gorth

How do you know?  8)

You sound absolutely nothing alike. :p

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Epic Boss Says Developers Will Decide Who Wins The Game Store Wars, Not Consumers

"COnSUmeRs dON't HaVe to BE YoUr aUDieNCE aNymoRe, cOnSumeRS ArE OVer."

I know it's becoming a bit of pattern where someone posts something negative about Epic and Fenixp jumps to their defense, so just to elaborate: I don't like exclusives. I never liked exclusives. Exclusives suck. The way Epic goes about getting their place on the market sucks and I wish they didn't do that, let alone a whole array of issues the store has (like, y'know, not complying with GDPR and tiny details like that.)

Nonetheless, Mr. Sweeney is entirely correct. Historically, systems which made more sense to develop for (and now I'm not strictly talking about ease of use, throwing bags of money around certainly helps, see) eventually became dominant. I can pretty much guarantee that the people yelling about how Evil epic is and how they're not going to touch their store with a 10 ft pole, while very vocal, are also very much in a minority (see cancellation numbers of Phoenix Point).

The explanation's pretty simple: Your average Joe doesn't care whether he installs Steam or Epic store, what he does care is what his friends have installed so that he can play Fortpex Legenite with them. As long as Epic makes sure that all sequels and variations on Fortpex Legenite is released on Epic store, customers will flood to it. For every unique and ambitious release like Phoenix Point, people will flood to it. For every high-profile release like The Division 2 or Metro Exodus, people will flood to it. And all that'll be then left exclusively using Steam will be the vocal minority, which shareholders/CEOs don't really give a toss about.

Edited by Fenixp
  • Like 2

Same with Half-Life² back in the days. Everyone hated on it. Hard. But also everyone bought it, and also Counter-Strike. And now we have people defending Steam like it's their messiah. That's just how it works.

• Like 5

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Epic Boss Says Developers Will Decide Who Wins The Game Store Wars, Not Consumers

I know it's becoming a bit of pattern where someone posts something negative about Epic and Fenixp jumps to their defense, so just to elaborate: I don't like exclusives. I never liked exclusives. Exclusives suck. The way Epic goes about getting their place on the market sucks and I wish they didn't do that, let alone a whole array of issues the store has (like, y'know, not complying with GDPR and tiny details like that.)

Nonetheless, Mr. Sweeney is entirely correct. Historically, systems which made more sense to develop for (and now I'm not strictly talking about ease of use, throwing bags of money around certainly helps, see) eventually became dominant. I can pretty much guarantee that the people yelling about how Evil epic is and how they're not going to touch their store with a 10 ft pole, while very vocal, are also very much in a minority (see cancellation numbers of Phoenix Point).

The explanation's pretty simple: Your average Joe doesn't care whether he installs Steam or Epic store, what he does care is what his friends have installed so that he can play Fortpex Legenite with them. As long as Epic makes sure that all sequels and variations on Fortpex Legenite is released on Epic store, customers will flood to it. For every unique and ambitious release like Phoenix Point, people will flood to it. For every high-profile release like The Division 2 or Metro Exodus, people will flood to it. And all that'll be then left exclusively using Steam will be the vocal minority, which shareholders/CEOs don't really give a toss about.

Yep, Epic is currently behaving the way they are in order to upset the market which is dominated by Steam. Unlike GoG, Epic is being very aggressive in ensuring exclusive games, which in turn causes Steam to look bad; which really isn't all that hard since Steam has been sitting around as top dog for so long they became the perfect victim of Capitalism.

Free markets my dudes.

Some of us wre old enough to remember the dislike for Steam many had when it first reared up, as mentioned with Half Life 2. I encountered it with distaste when Empire Total War required it as I had been a fan of Total War games at the time. Eric's issues will either be worked out before the EU lawsuits, or they'll just fix them for EU and collapse due to the American market.

Edited by Vitalis

The working class will rise and take down the corporate overlords!!1 On behalf our other corporate overlords.

Bit more seriously, I think this just makes it more important to share news like this one so average Joe becomes educated Joe.

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

Always love articles like this, no instance of the quote anywhere.

https://www.mcvuk.com/business/tim-sweeney-the-game-business-will-change-more-in-the-next-five-years-than-the-past-ten

“We’re giving game developers and publishers the store business model that we’ve always wanted as developers ourselves,” says Sweeney.

That makes good business sense, as it’s with developers, on the supply side, that the opportunities lie to shake-up the status quo.

“It’s nearly perfect for consumers already… There is no hope of displacing a dominant storefront solely by adding marginally more store features or a marginally better install experience. These battles will be won on the basis of game supply, consumer prices, and developer revenue sharing,” Sweeney reckons.

Doesn't exactly seem that extreme.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Hey, weren't people demanding that Valve curate their storefront? Well, they are starting by curating reviews...

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

To be actually specific, an algorythm will look through reviews and when it sees "off-topic review bombs" (ie, the devs tweeted they like Mars over Snickers so Snicker fans start boycotting the game) it'll flag it for supposedly actual human evaluation and if those guys find the reviews inapproriate, will disconnect those reviews from the aggregate graph. The reviews themselves will still be there to read and "enjoy" or you can switch so the graph incorporates the bombs as well.

Or so they said it'll work, we'll see once it's implemented.

Not sure who was waiting for this.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Hey, weren't people demanding that Valve curate their storefront? Well, they are starting by curating reviews...

But ... Hitler ... Didn't let crap content ... Into his stores, you wouldn't want to be Hitler, would you!?

To be actually specific, an algorythm will look through reviews and when it sees "off-topic review bombs" (ie, the devs tweeted they like Mars over Snickers so Snicker fans start boycotting the game) it'll flag it for supposedly actual human evaluation and if those guys find the reviews inapproriate, will disconnect those reviews from the aggregate graph. The reviews themselves will still be there to read and "enjoy" or you can switch so the graph incorporates the bombs as well.

Or so they said it'll work, we'll see once it's implemented.

I thought TheQuartering had a decent idea here. Just let us "review" publishers/developers, since generally review bombs happens because either of those did something stupid, so giving people a way to rate the companies involved (and display that rating, of course) might cut down on the review bombing.

Might help keep companies more honest as well, I imagine, as a negative company rating would carry over across games, while a review bomb generally doesn't...

Eh, who am I kidding, that would actually benefit consumers so it'll never happen, at least not voluntarily.

Edited by marelooke
  • Like 1

daily reminder that Sseth is love, Sseth is life:

• Like 1

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Steam going to hide review bombs from its customers: https://steamcommunity.com/games/593110/announcements/detail/1808664240333155775

The inverse is not being tackled, of course.

Seems like a sensible approach.

I thought TheQuartering had a decent idea

Now that is news.

• Like 1