RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

Gorth

I think I got more disillusioned since I went into the tourism industry, which in general for service providers is a long series of accepting crap.

If you book through one of the large websites for example, and get a non refundable rate for an extra discount, and pay the website, the site will not actually give your money to the hotel. The hotel only gets the cash on your day of arrival. So the site gives itself interest free loans from all hotels worldwide.

Putting up and accepting that kind of thing daily, makes it harder to truly care when other companies pull stunts.

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Epic games launcher/store seems to be collecting your steam data: Reddit post and Metacouncil post.

That is ... well, not exactly encouraging. I wonder what they'll come up with as a rationale.

https://www.reddit.com/r/PhoenixPoint/comments/b0rxdq/epic_game_store_spyware_tracking_and_you/eijlbge/

We use a tracking pixel (tracking.js) for our Support-A-Creator program so we can pay creators. We also track page statistics.

The launcher sends a hardware survey (CPU, GPU, and the like) at a regular interval as outlined in our privacy policy (see the “Information We Collect or Receive” section). You can find the code here.

The UDP traffic highlighted in this post is a launcher feature for communication with the Unreal Editor. The source of the underlying system is available on github.

The majority of the launcher UI is implemented using web technology that is being rendered by Chromium (which is open source). The root certificate and cookie access mentioned above is a result of normal web browser start up.

The launcher scans your active processes to prevent updating games that are currently running. This information is not sent to Epic.

We only import your Steam friends with your explicit permission. The launcher makes an encrypted local copy of your localconfig.vdf Steam file. However information from this file is only sent to Epic if you choose to import your Steam friends, and then only hashed ids of your friends are sent and no other information from the file.

Epic is controlled by Tim Sweeney. We have lots of external shareholders, none of whom have access to customer data.

Daniel Vogel

VP of Engineering

Epic Games Inc.

Gamers rising up, again

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Epic games launcher/store seems to be collecting your steam data: Reddit post and Metacouncil post.

That is ... well, not exactly encouraging. I wonder what they'll come up with as a rationale.

https://www.reddit.com/r/PhoenixPoint/comments/b0rxdq/epic_game_store_spyware_tracking_and_you/eijlbge/

We use a tracking pixel (tracking.js) for our Support-A-Creator program so we can pay creators. We also track page statistics.

The launcher sends a hardware survey (CPU, GPU, and the like) at a regular interval as outlined in our privacy policy (see the “Information We Collect or Receive” section). You can find the code here.

The UDP traffic highlighted in this post is a launcher feature for communication with the Unreal Editor. The source of the underlying system is available on github.

The majority of the launcher UI is implemented using web technology that is being rendered by Chromium (which is open source). The root certificate and cookie access mentioned above is a result of normal web browser start up.

The launcher scans your active processes to prevent updating games that are currently running. This information is not sent to Epic.

We only import your Steam friends with your explicit permission. The launcher makes an encrypted local copy of your localconfig.vdf Steam file. However information from this file is only sent to Epic if you choose to import your Steam friends, and then only hashed ids of your friends are sent and no other information from the file.

Epic is controlled by Tim Sweeney. We have lots of external shareholders, none of whom have access to customer data.

Daniel Vogel

VP of Engineering

Epic Games Inc.

Gamers rising up, again

To be fair, them accessing the Steam files directly instead of using the official API (which respects your Steam privacy settings, for example), like other services, like Origin, do is still dodgy. But yeah, not nearly as nefarious as it's made out to be, at least based on what's being shown.

Even if (and that's a big if) the Epic client is doing illegal things I'm sure they'd hide it better as they're aware the thing is going to be analysed.

Oh yeah, their privacy policy is still in violation of EU Privacy laws, so there's still that. Sending that hardware information (which includes things that qualify as personally identifiable information, per the GDPR) without explicit consent (and per the GDPR hiding it in their TOS/Privacy Policy is explicitly not good enough) is among those. But that's not what this is about, of course.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-03-14-original-x-com-creator-faces-backlash-after-signing-epic-games-store-exclusive-deal-for-phoenix-point

"It was not our intention to scam anyone. The best we can do is offer compensation in the form of free extra content, which we will deliver throughout the launch year. This will include at least three major DLC packs. They will also receive a Steam key or GOG key, in addition to their Epic key, at the end of the exclusivity period. If they are not happy with this, we will give a full refund."

May have been obvious, but that answers my question to:

- Yes, backers receive both Steam/GOG and Epic keys

- Yes, even crowdfunding backers can withdraw their pledges, not just people who pre-ordered

"We sent an email to all our 47,000 backers on Tuesday informing them about the Epic deal," he said. "The following day we had 1300 requests for refunds. The day after it increased to 1600. We don't anticipate that more than five to six per cent of our backers will actually request refunds in the long run."

In other words, the impact of this decision on their backers appears to be minimal. Then again, question is how many backers actually registered the switch - internet drama and sending out emails is good and all, doesn't mean all backers get the memo. For all I know some of the money I sent out to crowdfunded projects are now used to start forest fires.

Incidentally, as it turns out, it wasn't Epic that invested into Snapshot games - it was Snapshot games who approached Epic asking about the deal.

That first sentence is an outright lie. They said they had the money to deliver on the KS promises. The deal with Epic is just to secure future funding. So they threw their backers under the bus out of pure greed, not even because "whoops we miscalculated and we really need this money to be able to deliver", which is often the case (and while still sad, would at least be more understandable). Offering a refund is just cynical, since they literally just used their backers to get an interest free loan so they would have something to shop around with.

If this doesn't have any serious repercussions then then this might just be the deathblow for crowd funding. Teams failing to deliver is one thing (and a risk you knowingly take on when you back) but a successfully funded project in no financial trouble rewriting the agreement when it suits them is something else entirely.

I don't necessarily have any interest in getting my money back (hell, since I backed a physical tier me refunding would probably be better for them as that would absolve them from needing to provide the physical rewards). What I want to see is a crackdown on this outright scummish behaviour, if it turns out there is no protection for either backers or pre-order customers (without literally going to court, which besides expensive is also extremely slow, and absolutely not worth it given the money involved) even in the EU (as mentioned previously, Snapshot Games HQ is in Bulgaria) then I fear crowd funding is just dead as that would mean there's literally no guarantee a company will live up to any part of the agreement they have with backers and thus opening the floodgates to this type of behaviour.

It's really just a matter of perspective. Were you crowdfunding a game or were you crowdfunding platform availability? It looks like they will deliver the game, so I can't see how the vast majority of the backers won't see it as success, particularly if it is good. The delivery method of the game is a minor part of the agreement we make when backing, so I don't see this affecting crowdfunding in any way.

Still waiting on the next Space Quest, btw. I'll take it on any platform or delivery method at this point.  

Edited by Hurlshot
  • Like 1

Fear and Loathing in Obsidian Forums

But why? Is there no communication on these boards? Have we deteriorated to the level of dumb mobile gamers?!

You can turn your back on a person, but you can never turn your back on DRM, especially when it's waving a razor sharp hunting knife in your face. :shifty: Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Some people would say, That’s why you fight razor sharp stuff with Razor, and at least 1911 times :p

Edited by Mamoulian War

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Some people would say, That’s why you fight razor sharp stuff with Razor, and at least 1911 times :p

You sharpen your Razor 1911 times, with no Deviance. Once you see things in a Fairlight, everything can be Reloaded.

• Like 3

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Meh, if data mining was their goal, I'm pretty sure it'll happen a lot more subtly than by creating a file in Epic's folder - Epic client has the thing that allows you to find friends based, among other things, on your Steam friends. Not sure about games played.

Nonetheless, Steam makes all of that information publicly available via their API as long as you've not set it specifically to be private, so ... Y'know ... As far as master plan for spying on Steam's users, this sounds extremely convoluted

There's also an option for signing in with accounts from other places, but I guess most people don't realize what that does.

The Epic Store is the first major competitor to Steam in years, which is a good thing as it will force Steam to get off their ass to start improving their stagnate platform.

Free market!

Edited by Vitalis

I don't get that hate for Steam, I mean putting aside DRM which I don't like either steam have Linux support, mod support, player reviews, sales, good comunity hub/communicator, offline mode, greenlight, games from all type of developers.

GoG have DRM free option on the top.

What exactly Epic store have for customers? If someone want to be competitor of Steam they have to offer MORE than Steam have, to me they dont offer jack poo, just another showelware.

• Like 1

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-03-14-original-x-com-creator-faces-backlash-after-signing-epic-games-store-exclusive-deal-for-phoenix-point

"It was not our intention to scam anyone. The best we can do is offer compensation in the form of free extra content, which we will deliver throughout the launch year. This will include at least three major DLC packs. They will also receive a Steam key or GOG key, in addition to their Epic key, at the end of the exclusivity period. If they are not happy with this, we will give a full refund."

May have been obvious, but that answers my question to:

- Yes, backers receive both Steam/GOG and Epic keys

- Yes, even crowdfunding backers can withdraw their pledges, not just people who pre-ordered

"We sent an email to all our 47,000 backers on Tuesday informing them about the Epic deal," he said. "The following day we had 1300 requests for refunds. The day after it increased to 1600. We don't anticipate that more than five to six per cent of our backers will actually request refunds in the long run."

In other words, the impact of this decision on their backers appears to be minimal. Then again, question is how many backers actually registered the switch - internet drama and sending out emails is good and all, doesn't mean all backers get the memo. For all I know some of the money I sent out to crowdfunded projects are now used to start forest fires.

Incidentally, as it turns out, it wasn't Epic that invested into Snapshot games - it was Snapshot games who approached Epic asking about the deal.

That first sentence is an outright lie. They said they had the money to deliver on the KS promises. The deal with Epic is just to secure future funding. So they threw their backers under the bus out of pure greed, not even because "whoops we miscalculated and we really need this money to be able to deliver", which is often the case (and while still sad, would at least be more understandable). Offering a refund is just cynical, since they literally just used their backers to get an interest free loan so they would have something to shop around with.

If this doesn't have any serious repercussions then then this might just be the deathblow for crowd funding. Teams failing to deliver is one thing (and a risk you knowingly take on when you back) but a successfully funded project in no financial trouble rewriting the agreement when it suits them is something else entirely.

I don't necessarily have any interest in getting my money back (hell, since I backed a physical tier me refunding would probably be better for them as that would absolve them from needing to provide the physical rewards). What I want to see is a crackdown on this outright scummish behaviour, if it turns out there is no protection for either backers or pre-order customers (without literally going to court, which besides expensive is also extremely slow, and absolutely not worth it given the money involved) even in the EU (as mentioned previously, Snapshot Games HQ is in Bulgaria) then I fear crowd funding is just dead as that would mean there's literally no guarantee a company will live up to any part of the agreement they have with backers and thus opening the floodgates to this type of behaviour.

It's really just a matter of perspective. Were you crowdfunding a game or were you crowdfunding platform availability? It looks like they will deliver the game, so I can't see how the vast majority of the backers won't see it as success, particularly if it is good. The delivery method of the game is a minor part of the agreement we make when backing, so I don't see this affecting crowdfunding in any way.

Still waiting on the next Space Quest, btw. I'll take it on any platform or delivery method at this point.  

I was crowdfunding a game that was explicitly promised to be available through certain means (there's a reason some of these projects are vague about this stuff). The delivery method was part of the agreement, whether that was a minor part is a matter of perspective and not something someone can decide for another person. It's minor for you maybe, but there are enough valid reasons to not want to deal with the Epic store, whether those concern you or not are up to you.

Regardless the simple fact is that they are still walking back on an established agreement, which is shady (and legally dubious) in itself and serious "slippery slope"-material and sets a rather dangerous precedent to boot.

It's also not the first time they walk back on their agreement with backers: they already dropped Linux support, likely because they were already negotiating with Epic and knew they couldn't support it on their client, so why bother, right? Or are you going to argue that doesn't matter because that's minor platform anyway? The argument that it's too hard to support Linux also doesn't fly here since they had a working Linux version up until the point they decided to screw over their Linux backers.

Or how about the Chinese backers that will now be unable to play the game they funded since the Epic Store is banned in China (ironic, given all the Tencent hubbub, if nothing else), or any of another number of countries that are not supported by Epic (there was a list at one point during the Metro rage)

As already mentioned, it's not like they needed the money to get the game done, they've publicly stated they could fulfil their crowfunding promises with the budget they received, so they get zero sympathy for me there either as the only reason to do it is the ego of Gollop (he wanted to do more than he got funded for) and/or pure greed. The condescending way in which they have communicated with their backers (and pre-order customers) since hasn't exactly done anything to garner any sympathy from me ("even if y'all refund we're still good; so **** you", would summarize it pretty well).

This is seriously different from a company mismanaging budget and going under, or any of another number of ways that things can go wrong (overreaching etc.). "Do not attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by incompetence", unfortunately Snapshot Games has made it very clear that no incompetence was involved and that this was a very deliberate and very well calculated move to violate the agreement with the people who made it possible for them to create the game in the first place, and without which they would have had nothing to go to Epic with.

Edited by marelooke

You sharpen your Razor 1911 times, with no Deviance. Once you see things in a Fairlight, everything can be Reloaded.

I just realized that, aside from DEViANCE which stopped being active back in the mid 2000s, I have no idea if those groups are still around.

Edited by majestic

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

I just realized that, aside from DEViANCE which stopped being active back in the mid 2000s, I have no idea if those groups are still around.

If you review the PROFETs CODEX you will find certain ways to get your CPY.

Edited by Azdeus
  • Like 2

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

I do not know either. I just remember all these names, because they were around the eastern europe when I was a kid. Something abot 20-25 years ago, with maybe the exception of Fairlight, which sound little bit newer :)

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Think they are all around, original members may be gone (well or in jail) barring Deviance.  Reloaded isn't as prolific as they once were, seems everything is CODEX and CPY (The latter proves the Chinese Menace is real!).

You guys are going to give mkreku an aneurysm.

It's a CONSPIR4CY, I tell ya!

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

I don't get that hate for Steam, I mean putting aside DRM which I don't like either steam have Linux support, mod support, player reviews, sales, good comunity hub/communicator, offline mode, greenlight, games from all type of developers.

What exactly Epic store have for customers? If someone want to be competitor of Steam they have to offer MORE than Steam have, to me they dont offer jack poo, just another showelware.

Steam has had 15 years to work all that out though. Offline mode was a disaster for like the first ten.

Steam has had 15 years to work all that out though. Offline mode was a disaster for like the first ten.

is it suppose to be excuse? I think my point still stand, if you want to compete you have to put out more than your opponent

• Like 1

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

I was crowdfunding a game 

I'll stop you right there, because that hasn't changed. All the rest is just white noise. 

If the stuff that has nothing to do with the game bothers you, then request a refund and don't crowd fund in the future. That will make it easy on yourself.

The Epic Store is the first major competitor to Steam in years, which is a good thing as it will force Steam to get off their ass to start improving their stagnate platform.

Free market!

I don't disagree Steam could use some more store competition. What I dislike (so far) about Epic is the whole exclusivity thing, especially the time-length of it. I'm never a fan of exclusivity contracts for games even as I understand why it's done. But if Epic - or someone else - comes up with a launching client that gives me, the user, a lot more control over stuff like WHEN to install game patches, online/offline features, game search indexing and exception rules, than Steam does etc, I would consider moving.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts