RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

Gorth

oh boy, i just ended one dungeon in old game, seems pretty good as it is to me :)

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Now if only they would fix the underlaying mechanics.

Nah, one of the things I admire about Red Hook and their development of Darkest Dungeon is that regardless of hate they receive, they'll stick to their creative vision and create a game they want created, not a castrated version their community would force upon them. I'm quite hoping that's what they'll do for the second one as well.

• Like 2

Katphood, we all are here for the games, but watching internet drama is sometimes more entertaining than playing AAA games ;)

Oh well, there is always pleasure...& pain.

...unless you are playing Warframe, that thing is pure pleasure. :grin:

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

Nah, one of the things I admire about Red Hook and their development of Darkest Dungeon is that regardless of hate they receive, they'll stick to their creative vision and create a game they want created, not a castrated version their community would force upon them. I'm quite hoping that's what they'll do for the second one as well.

Sorry, but if they have to deal with nonsense like corpses or stalling that's because the mechanics were bad to begin with.

Sorry, but if they have to deal with nonsense like corpses or stalling that's because the mechanics were bad to begin with.

No game design is perfect, and more complex it is, more harder it gets

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Both corpses and stalling are fantastic ideas dealing with issues that many turn-based tactics games never quite managed to get resolved in a reasonable manner. If Darkest Dungeon's mechanics are 'bad' for these reasons then most similar systems are bad by definition, in which case you're not exactly the game's target audience - wanting something to change because you don't enjoy what it wants to be is exactly what I'm referring to when talking about 'castrating develper's vision'
  • Like 1

Anthem review by Ars Technica.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019/02/anthem-game-review-honestly-its-not-finished/

Undertitle says it all :p

"It's out, finally. But maybe it shouldn't be."

Now the guessing game starts, whether or not was Apex Legends final nail to the Bioware coffin even before the release or not. *shrugs*

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Puts the Crysis games to shame, we can all agree on that. PS4 is an amazing piece of NASA tech!

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Anthem review by Ars Technica.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019/02/anthem-game-review-honestly-its-not-finished/

Undertitle says it all :p

"It's out, finally. But maybe it shouldn't be."

Now the guessing game starts, whether or not was Apex Legends final nail to the Bioware coffin even before the release or not. *shrugs*

What baffles me is that they've apparently been working on this game for 6 years and this is what they've come out with..? I mean, before release I was mainly worried about EA's monetization plans (which could still sink the game, assuming the shoddy launch doesn't already) and the possibility that I just wouldn't like the gameplay or "endgame" (I mean, always a valid worry for a game you haven't played, I'd say ;))

But the state the game's in, the content it's apparently released with...that took BioWare 6 years? Really?

For comparison DE, a small studio, started working on Warframe a little over 7 years ago, with a skeleton crew.

Anyway, Ars Technica is still rather positive about the game compared to some of what I've seen (quite a few people aren't quite as positive about the story and NPCs, for example) and they conveniently dodged the micro transaction topic, so I'll share what I"ve found.

Apparently at endgame "coin" acquisition dries up severely. If you do your daily challenges you can get up to a couple thousand coins per day. With epic skins costing over 60000 coins, meaning a multi-month grind for a single skin (or paying 9USD, of course). Apparently there is a higher tier of skins as well (legendary) of which none have been released yet but which, one can assume, will be even more expensive...

Of course, with new content there might be new ways to earn coins as well, but still, we're getting in the vicinity of that 20USD for a skin territory that the internet threw a fit over with that pre-release store screenshot...

Bugs can be fixed, the UI improved, prices adjusted and content added, of course, but there's a bunch of things in there that might not be as easy to fix like the constant (long) loading screens. Will be interesting to see where the game goes in the coming months. Game could still end up fine, after all.

Not going to touch Anthem by the looks of it. A shame it's almost impossible to find players for Starsiege Tribes (or the newer Tribes 2 from 2001) these days :p

• Like 2

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Not going to touch Anthem by the looks of it. A shame it's almost impossible to find players for Starsiege Tribes (or the newer Tribes 2 from 2001) these days :p

Still are 40 people playing Tribes, bunch of mine-disc whores though.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

FFXV is getting its final dlc: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-02-19-final-fantasy-15s-very-last-dlc-episode-gets-a-release-date

Maybe I should have waited for the 'Totally Royal Edition This Time Around Not Joking...Seriously Royal Edition Edition'.

One good thing about Apex Legends is that it brought the Titanfall 2 multiplayer back to life again.

Gotta give the T2 MP another shot one of these days.

Edited by Katphood

Both corpses and stalling are fantastic ideas dealing with issues that many turn-based tactics games never quite managed to get resolved in a reasonable manner.

Bleeding to disintegration a corpse of bleed-immune skeleton is neither a fantastic idea nor a cornerstone of developer vision.

It's just an ugly crutch that's necessary to save a badly thought-out targeting mechanic.

Bleeding to disintegration a corpse of bleed-immune skeleton is neither a fantastic idea nor a cornerstone of developer vision.

a) If you needed to remove corpses by attrition, you were playing the game very wrong

b) The "badly thought-out targeting mechanic" is one of the staples of positioning-based turn-based systems. Again, if that's not what you're in for, the game's clearly not targeted at you. For the rest of us, corpses quite nicely deal with the issue of challenge dropping rapidly by just cutting down enemy front liners.

• Like 1

GoG and Steam for me on PC. It is worth noting that CDPR could pull a **** move and release Cyberpunk 2077 on GoG/Console only if they wanted to. Of course they will never do that because... *drum roll*

...it's anti-consumer.

Couldn't Epic Games put all that money and effort into a new Unreal Tournament or a new single-player Unreal game instead?!

Sort of wish that would happen, all this crying about 'anti-consumer' aside. Would be nice to see the reaction from the gamer community :lol:

Yeah yeah, we get it. You don't actually play games, you're just here for the laughs.

Would you blame him, if that were the case?

I mean, I try to play new stuff. Most recent example, I got Far Cry 5 from Humble for $15. Turns out progress in co-op is saved only for the host, locking me out of many upgrades. This is an absurd decision that made me quit the game, as I have no interest in slogging through this crap *again* and by myself. And the reason this is a huge headache is that they bundled the exe with EAC to protect their lame ass single-player MTX scheme.

And much as I despise Ubi for that, they are only offering what the morons who howl for blood over trivial **** but still gobble it up really want, because otherwise it would fail. So every time the gamer "community" makes a laughing stock of itself again, it brightens my day a little.

Edited by 213374U
  • Like 2

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

GoG and Steam for me on PC. It is worth noting that CDPR could pull a **** move and release Cyberpunk 2077 on GoG/Console only if they wanted to. Of course they will never do that because... *drum roll*

...it's anti-consumer.

Couldn't Epic Games put all that money and effort into a new Unreal Tournament or a new single-player Unreal game instead?!

CDPR literally already tried something like that with Witcher Tales: Thronebreaker late last year too.

It sold like **** even though it had the Witcher branding behind it. Enough **** that they released it on Steam a month later with no indication that they were going to do that so soon, and bundled Witcher 1 with it there (as opposed to the GoG bundle including Gwent cards for the multiplayer game instead).

Considering that, I don't think they want to risk hobbling Cyberpunk early performance by making it exclusive to their store.

Edited by Saito Hikari

And much as I despise Ubi for that, they are only offering what the morons who howl for blood over trivial **** but still gobble it up really want, because otherwise it would fail. So every time the gamer "community" makes a laughing stock of itself again, it brightens my day a little.

Ubi games are pretty much the same, you know if you want to pay 60 dollars for a game on release, or wait and buy it once it hits a lower price. The last Far Cry game I bought on release was Far Cry 3.

As for Malcador, I didn't blame him dor anything. But when he points out the same thing for the nth time over and over again, be it games, football or hockey, then you can't help but to notice: is this really that different from the fiascos the gaming community throws around every once in a while?

This world is -naturally- full of flaws, it is indeed funny when someone tries to prove that they are 'better' than others.

Edited by Katphood

...it's anti-consumer.

CDPR literally already tried something like that with Witcher Tales: Thronebreaker late last year too.

It sold like **** even though it had the Witcher branding behind it.

Yeah, nah.

Thronebreaker is just behind Witcher 3 on GOG's all time best seller list, and that after only ~4 months. They may have had unrealistic expectations about its appeal andor expected GOG buyers to preorder and 1st day buy more- badly misjudging their own user base, the essence of the gog user is patience- but it's 100% sold fine by any objective measure and barely been out of the top sellers list since launch. Whereas on steam it sunk without trace beneath their shovelware tsunami.

Ubi games are pretty much the same, you know if you want to pay 60 dollars for a game on release, or wait and buy it once it hits a lower price. The last Far Cry game I bought on release was Far Cry 3.

As for Malcador, I didn't blame him dor anything. But when he points out the same thing for the nth time over and over again, be it games, football or hockey, then you can't help but to notice: is this really that different from the fiascos the gaming community throws around every once in a while?

This world is -naturally- full of flaws, it is indeed funny when someone tries to prove that they are 'better' than others.

Football or hockey? Well other than bantering not sure I have said anything there. Hm, though, have to say the fanbases of football and gaming are sort of similar in their rationality...

Nothing about being better, but the constant impotent jihad becomes comic after a while. And it's not like any of what the companies do is hurting people

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Bethesda released 4 games on the PS3, all of which were pretty much broken(check out the save problem with Fallout, Oblivion etc for more details).

Doesn't that hurt the consumer? Pretty sure J. Sawyer asked people not to touch the PS3 version of Fallout: NV at some point because the game would start crashing every 30 minutes after 50 hours of gameplay.

Bethesda released 4 games on the PS3, all of which were pretty much broken(check out the save problem with Fallout, Oblivion etc for more details).

Doesn't that hurt the consumer? Pretty sure J. Sawyer asked people not to touch the PS3 version of Fallout: NV at some point because the game would start crashing every 30 minutes after 50 hours of gameplay.

At that point you'd think people would not buy Bethesda games. :lol:

When a One-Piece anime open world game has a better Karma system than any Crpg... :o

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...