RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

Gorth

I wouldn't defend the FIFA/ Madden/ CoD annual releases as being consumer friendly- though ultimately, it is the consumers' choice to buy annual releases which encourages them- but they do at least consistently work. The issue with Paradox is usually that they add stuff and accumulate bugs andor imbalanced gameplay as a result of adding stuff, then don't get around to fixing all the stuff they broke before releasing the next dlc, that breaks more stuff. So the net effect is that the games accumulate bugs and broken systems. Don't worry; Mods Will Fix It! seems to be their ultimate attitude. That's apart from the usual accusations more common to dlc in general that they parcel up systems that should have been in the base game to sell later.

As for Imperator being on GOG, it's good news but I'd be very reticent about Paradox's approach since they seem to be intent on gating at least extras through their own portal- and they retroactively trojaned steam into the 'drm free' version of CK2 as well.

April 25th release date. Wait for sale. :p

Imperator Rome is also available as a pre-order on GOG, if you prefer DRM free version of this Grand Strategy game.

https://www.gog.com/news/preorder_imperator_rome

I would strongly recommend that anyone even remotely contemplating preordering a PDX product take a look at the complete ****show that is the latest Stellaris patch/DLC combo release. They have a long-standing reputation for shoddy releases and that shows that they are not getting better at this. The recent appointment of a new CEO straight from an online gambling firm (!) isn't exactly reassuring either.

I look forward to trying it out, but Paradox's dlc practices were already hideous to begin with, so this new gambing CEO will probably make that quagmire of greed deeper.

If we take Crusader Kings 2 as an example, the game was released in 2012 and has had continuing development since then. Meanwhile we have had 5 releases in the Total War series, not counting the DLCs from Shogun, that have all been released around $59.99 each with DLCs ranging between $17-39. CK2 with all of the DLCs comes to ~$140 if on a sale, which is quite common.

Paradox is generally around the level of Obsidian when it comes to bugs however.

Usually game patches aren't exactly news (well, unless Bethesda updates Fallout 76, but, ehm, right, moving on...) but this one I thought was worth mentioning:

ArenaNet published a pretty significant update to Guild Wars. Yes, there is no 2 at the end, the original, the game that has been basically discontinued since 2012 with the release of Guild Wars 2. There have been minor changes to the original Guild Wars before, mostly minor fixes generally related to yearly events and chat changes but this is the first time in a very very long time that there are actual AI, QoL and UI changes.

Anyway, as a summary of the changes:

• updates to how the AI uses some skills, making both enemies and henchmen more adept at their use. Suffice to say this has the potential to be huge "standard" builds and group compositions that have stood for like 7 years might suddenly need revising.
  • inventory and storage space have been greatly increased, which is a major QoL change

I always thought it was pretty cool of Anet to keep the old Guild Wars servers running (they barely use server resources, apparently), but updating such an old game when a successor is out? :thumbsup::bow:

• Like 1

Building on Stronghold Kingdoms’ unique MMO design, Romans: Age of Caesar is an online co-op city builder with thousands of players working together to rebuild Rome. The result is a shared world builder that returns to the classic Roman setting designer Simon Bradbury and producer Eric Ouellette made their name with before founding Firefly Studios in 1999.

In Romans players must rebuild the empire as they share resources, re-establish trade routes and protect their cities from barbarian invasion. Experience classic city builder gameplay online across on an entire continent as you build, trade and fight together with 15 other players in each city. Revive the republic and restore the Roman Empire to its former glory

Still want Caesar 5

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Between Nioh, Sekiro, and Tsushima we are entering a renaissance of feudal Japan games. Only need Ninja Gaiden to come back now.

Don't forget we got the really excellent Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun a couple years back.

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

STALKER-likes seem to be the craze these days.

• Like 2
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

STALKER-likes seem to be the craze these days.

I went on their website and found this picture of the dev team:

Zdjecie_Chernobylite_Team_crop.png

The woman in the red dress is DEFINITELY an agent.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Nice edgelord on the left.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I'm going to be very angry if Sekiro is just average lol

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

I would have thought that the changes for touchscreens in the phone/ tablet versions would be harder to pull off than adapting for controllers, and from what I've been told the mobile versions are decently enough adapted. Guess things like selecting the characters might be a bit cumbersome/ annoying if they can't work out a decent quick system since you have to do it so often. But while I doubt they're a particularly good fit for consoles or will sell well they should be a quick and reasonably easy port with the major consoles being AMD PCs under the hood.

I hope Beamdog has better luck than Obsidian with their console sales.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Don't forget we got the really excellent Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun a couple years back.

Can't forget what you don't know about. This looks really neat, thanks for the tip.

If you've ever played any of the old Commandos or Desperados games, it plays like that (the developer, Mimimi are making the upcoming Desperados 3). It's an isometric, real-time, stealth game and it is very hard and unforgiving.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Can't forget what you don't know about. This looks really neat, thanks for the tip.

It's on sale at GOG 60% off for the next day and a bit if you do want to pick it up.

I'd heartily recommend it as well, though 'hard and unforgiving' is certainly an accurate description.

• Like 1

Never even heard of those.

The first Commandos is definitely worth checking out, should be cheap enough on GOG. It also is, uhm, kinda hard and unforgiving. ;)

• Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

... And lacks any quality of life features that Blades of Shogun has, so if you're interested in getting into the genre, actually starting with Commandos might be a good idea because going back after Blades of Shogun is damn near impossible, unless you have Commandos ingrained in you by hundreds of hours imposed on you by Dumb Kid school of time management.

So I got to Cetus in Warframe and holy open world batman!

a) I had no clue there's anything like that in Warframe, I thought it's just small-ish instanced levels

b) How on Earth does Switch handle that!?

c) Hour of my life gone

• Like 2