Wish turn-based had AI, and wish I could switch modes mid-game

I'm playing POE II for the first time and decided to try turn based because the deeper strategy sounded more appealing to me.

I chose a Chanter with the Beckoner subclass, starting with the ability to summon 6 skeletons. Having to direct each skeleton was immediately so tedious and slow I kept wondering whether there was some way to automate them. I'd rather I wasn't even given an option to control them.

When I realized the game DID have an AI system but it wasn't available in turn based mode I was confused and frustrated. I hope you plan to add this!

After playing the Beckoner for awhile, I decided to switch to real-time. I was again confused and frustrated that this isn't possible without starting a new game and replaying a bunch of content. Considering I'm playing to have fun, I would have liked to switch between real-time for everyday combat and turn-based for boss fights.

I'm now playing real-time. Other than the tedium of moving 6 summons every turn, I did prefer turn-based mode. In real-time I am less invested in my companions, combat feels more chaotic and my folks sometimes get KOed before I can even figure out what is going on. I'm debating restarting again in turn-based with a different build, but don't want to replay so much content again.

Speaking of making major changes mid-game: I wish I could change class mid-game when I respec. Would this really break things?

The odd thing is, some summons and friendly characters do have AI.

In ship-to-ship combat, companions and crew who aren't members of your party act of their own accord.

Substantial Phantom and similar abilities also do their own thing.

Odd design choice. Maybe have some options in the game settings?

Such as:

1: All summons / non-party friendlies have AI.

2: Some do, some don't (the way it is now).

3: All summons / non-party friendlies are controlled by the player.

Yeah, so far custom AI hasn’t been translated to turn-based.

The AI that exists for friendly NPCs (like during ship combat) has some issues right now: continually skipping turn and I believe they don’t use abilities at thier disposal. It certainly something that needs a look.

In real-time I am less invested in my companions, combat feels more chaotic and my folks sometimes get KOed before I can even figure out what is going on. I'm debating restarting again in turn-based with a different build, but don't want to replay so much content again.

A few tips I use myself in RTWP:

You can turn combat speed down to almost a crawl. This makes it less chaotic, but potentially also less fluid. YMMV.

You can have the game autopause in combat on a great set of conditionals. You can also have it autopause on a set interval-timer.

Nerf Troubadour!

Hey everyone!

Thanks for the suggestions and requests for Turn-Based mode!  Both of these are fortunately already in the system to be looked at by the team for consideration.  I'll still be linking this thread to the reports so the team can use it as a reference, so if you think of anything related to add, please feel free to do so.

Thanks again for all the help and support!