Guess i got an unlucky encounter "roll" because ive beat them in other plays but it's completely impossible this time. 

The 3 melee guys are pushing 60 deflection. They cleave through my party like butter. 

I dunno about this game. Seems like im usually scumming the map and bad AI to win fights. Whats up with the ship battles where there's 20 guys shooting pistols at you? 

Whats a class that can actually handle this? Melee totally worthless? Maybe i need a party of all wizards.  

post-155457-0-34154200-1549135889_thumb.jpg

They have low Will defence. Debuff their Will even more and use Cipher's Whisper of Treason (1st level spell). Use Flanking. Hit them only with Crush weapons.

Edited by Phenomenum

That is in the engwithan digsite and it's supposed to be supertough. It's also completely optional so just turn around and do other stuff. Totally ok.

Boarding fights are tough in the early levels as well. Most crews are above your level. Try to sink them in naval battle until you leveled a bit. In naval battle your char level doesn't matter at all.

• Like 2

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

I killed them with sabers last time. Guess I will head back to town and see if clubs make a difference.

So charm is the way to go l guess. The only spell I picked up so far is Valor echos. Which almost seems worth the skill point. I tested out some of the cipher spells and I'm shocked at how worthless they are.

I don't lower difficulty. I don't skip fights either.

Maybe I should try a party of paladin wizards.

Cipher doesn't seem strong enough. I like the 30% weapon damage buff but it's just not enough

:facepalm:

Did you finish the Luminous Adra/Eothas quest before going there? I did that and I didn't find the fights against the skeletons very difficult. I had a Wizard player character though (on PoTD with all only scale up).

Ya i beat it before no prob. This time i swear it got up rolled big time. These skeletons have 60+ deflection. 

Did you finish the Luminous Adra/Eothas quest before going there? I did that and I didn't find the fights against the skeletons very difficult. I had a Wizard player character though (on PoTD with all only scale up).

Ya i beat it before no prob. This time i swear it got up rolled big time. These skeletons have 60+ deflection.

Did you last play before PotD got rebalanced? Because yes the entire first act got much harder.

Not sure if you're aware, but encounters in deadfire aren't random (with the possible exception of ship combat, not sure about that), there's no such thing as an encounter "roll". That skeleton was and always will be there and will always have the same defenses. The only reason it would be different is if you changed the game difficulty setting.

Not sure if you're aware, but encounters in deadfire aren't random (with the possible exception of ship combat, not sure about that), there's no such thing as an encounter "roll". That skeleton was and always will be there and will always have the same defenses. The only reason it would be different is if you changed the game difficulty setting.

this is definitely wrong. there's 3  melee skeleton warriors this time last time there was only 2. 

and they have more skull icons this time too. three as you can see. It might have something to do with level scaling, scale up everything. 

I gained 1 more level and went in there so they over buffed vs if i went in there at level 3? 

They are literally impossible. I went back to town and picked up all blunt weapons and it makes no difference. 

A patch increased PotD and difficulty of Port Maje et al. significantly. Maybe he remembers the time before that. And scaling will influence the enemies as well. But there is no random dice roll on encounter design.

Those skeletons in the optional (!) area are particularly tough now - compared to the rest of the digside.

If you have level indicators active you can see that they are usually at least two levels above you (I believe) which is a big difference so early in the game. Also if you use hirelings wich at this point may be one level below your MC (and thus three+ levels below the skeletons).

These skeletons (and Gorecci Street) are like the Bear Cave in PoE.

If you are not willing to skip this fight but can't figure out how to do it then good luck with your very short game. ;)

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

this is definitely wrong. there's 3  melee skeleton warriors this time last time there was only 2. 

and they have more skull icons this time too. three as you can see. It might have something to do with level scaling, scale up everything. 

I gained 1 more level and went in there so they over buffed vs if i went in there at level 3? 

They are literally impossible. I went back to town and picked up all blunt weapons and it makes no difference. 

what is "last time?" like myself and others have said, PotD got amped up in difficulty.

also, encounters definitely are not randomized. the only thing that could be varying it is if you're pulling in a mob from a different encounter by getting too close somehow, a real possibility in that skeleton encounter (there's a skeleton warrior downstairs i believe, and if you don't take the fight to the far left of the area you pull them up the stairs)

Edited by thelee

what is "last time?" like myself and others have said, PotD got amped up in difficulty.

also, encounters definitely are not randomized. the only thing that could be varying it is if you're pulling in a mob from a different encounter by getting too close somehow, a real possibility in that skeleton encounter (there's a skeleton warrior downstairs i believe, and if you don't take the fight to the far left of the area you pull them up the stairs)

Ive been playing through the first bit of the game over and over trying out different class combinations. the last time was also on potd with level scaling up only. 

i started a new play through bleak walker/wizards. 

ill do some tests when i get there. walk in before leveling up and after and see if the stats change. 

these guys were insane, one had 65 deflection. good luck even hitting that when most of your party is level 3. I also dont remember them using all these cleave stances and other warrior abilities the last time. 

Edited by Kilburn

I don't lower difficulty. I don't skip fights either.

Hey, that's fair enough. But if you insist on these two points, then you must also subscribe to the ethos behind that. And that, simply put, is: don't complain.

I also don't lower difficulty, I also don't skip fights. I also play with extra challenges enabled. No problems, which is to say, it's all eminently doable. It's OK to get frustrated (I still do in some areas (*cough* Bridge Ablaze *cough*) no matter how many times I've run PotD+upscaling+challenges), but yeah, like someone else said, this is starting to sound like "one of those posts."

And that, simply put, is: don't complain.

Basically what I'm also saying is, you should read this JE Sawyer post on this issue:

https://jesawyer.tumblr.com/post/181220302256/someones-very-touchy-on-that-subject-it-seems-and#notes

"Deadfire has five difficulty levels.  At launch, Veteran and Path of the Damned were undertuned, so we progressively increased the difficulty by tuning encounters, first in the early game, then on the remainder of the critical path, and finally in the other prominent areas off of the critical path.  Nick and Ryan have been attentive to player concerns throughout the process.

At this point, if someone is having trouble on a higher-than-Story difficulty level and refuses to turn the difficulty down, the problem can be found in the nearest mirror."

It's true. I don't think I've ever played any game where designers have been so extremely responsive to player concerns about difficulty tuning. There was a lot of collective grousing to increase the difficulty to where it is now (and it's to Obsidian's credit that they kept tweaking it up); the difficulty is now at a point that I feel like many players are adequately satisfied (and for the rest there's things like Deadly Deadfire).

Path of the Damned difficulty is explicitly a difficulty designed to require more metagaming, more strategy, and punish suboptimal builds and tactics.
Edited by thelee
  • Like 2

Did you last play before PotD got rebalanced? Because yes the entire first act got much harder.

Yes. I was talking about the new playthrough I had after patch 4.0.

Edit:

I realized you were not replying to me actually.  :w00t:

Edited by DaylenAmell