Thanks for the video, seems like single class monk is a hard counter for HP sponge bosses with dance of death + dichotomous souls + resonant touch. Is there a link that shows how to set up those massive AOE explosions with AOE weapons + turning wheel/stunning surge?

you literally just equip two hand mortars and use stunning surge. you gain + 10 int with turning wheel so your hand mortar aoe becomes bigger. so when you use stunning surge it hits in a big aoe, stunning mobs for a loooong time. and since you will be aiming a bunch of mobs, you are bound to crit hence you can keep spamming stunning surge. 

i would actually say double hand mortar stunning surge combo will deal with mobs better than double hand mortar whispers of the wind.

By the way: Turning Wheel's lash doesn't apply to ranged weapons anymore. :( So you can spare a point and not pick it. Or pick Iron Wheel and pick Enlighened clarity for a constant +5 INT without fluctuation from wound usage.

And def. Stunning Surge will not deal better with mobs than Whispers of the Wind. With Ajamuut's Stalking Cloak you do stun without attack resolution (WotW makes you invisible) and you skip reload entirely(!). Which you don't with Stunning Surge where you reload after each Full Attack. The dps is a lot higher than with Stunning Surge (even though the casting time is significantly higher) and it builds up Resonant Touches a lot faster. It also scales better with Power Level (adds jumps which means adds another five AoE attacks - Mortar + Fire in the Hole + jump + 2 Powder Burns - plus tons of Blinding Smoke attcak rolls that count for Avenging Storm). Once you have WotW you should only use Stunning Surge or Flagellanth's Path in those moments where your wound count is below 5 - to brigde the wound gap.

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

I was testing out a Hellwalker build based on ideas in this thread, but seems very squishy even wearing patinated plate and using the +CON power (vs. +INT).  Groups of mobs do very high damage very quickly, like the Fampyrs in Cave.  For fire dragon, even stacking 18 Fire AR, i couldn't melee him due to eating his wound attacks (didn't see an easy way to constantly interrupt) -- had to stay at range with Essence Interrupter to beat him, with the Oozes blocking him.  I saw the OP had 600+ hp so perhaps I haven't stacked CON enough (I had about 400).  What's the secret?

Iron Wheel + 12 base con + all boons / buffs + tough and you got around 30-32 con. Or less con, but take hylea's food for additional +25% health.

Thanks for the video, seems like single class monk is a hard counter for HP sponge bosses with dance of death + dichotomous souls + resonant touch. Is there a link that shows how to set up those massive AOE explosions with AOE weapons + turning wheel/stunning surge?

Can anyone share their build for a helwalker single class monk for solo POTD? Maybe not for soloing megabosses, but able to solo all DLC fights. I've seen Nalpazca builds but this video is the first time I've seen someone solo with a helwalker, and it inspired me to try one.

*not my video btw, but the guy here pretty much got his inspiration from what we talked about in the threads here. 

Yeah that is my video. But with this character, i dumped con and resolve, what makes the Auranic fight very hard, if not impossible, because of the low WILL. With my current build, i never got stunned / terrified, even without food bonus or any immunities and made the fight a cakewalk.

• Like 1

WotW:

new_hyleon.gif?dl=1

Surge:

surge_not_as_good.gif?dl=1

Beware: BIIIG non-optimized gifs behind the spoiler tags.

Also that setup melts your graphics card because Unity/Deadfire doesn't handle multithreading properly. ;) I have a gtx1080 but still get a full freeze for a second or two...

PS: Blinding Smoke, the BEST enchantment! :lol:

Edited by Boeroer

WotW:

new_hyleon.gif?dl=1

Surge:

Also that setup melts your graphics card because Unity/Deadfire doesn't handle multithreading properly. ;) I have a gtx1080 but still get a full freeze for a second or two...

Thanks for this Boeroer. What do you think is the best weapon for a monk DPS wise if I'm looking to go swift flurry and heartbeat drumming route? 

On the other thread, someone told me fist + scordeo's edge will offer the highest dps if you can crit most the time. Or is there anything better? 

^^ for single target damage by the way.

Edited by giftmefood

Can anyone share their build for a helwalker single class monk for solo POTD? Maybe not for soloing megabosses, but able to solo all DLC fights. I've seen Nalpazca builds but this video is the first time I've seen someone solo with a helwalker, and it inspired me to try one.

*not my video btw, but the guy here pretty much got his inspiration from what we talked about in the threads here. 

Yeah that is my video. But with this character, i dumped con and resolve, what makes the Auranic fight very hard, if not impossible, because of the low WILL. With my current build, i never got stunned / terrified, even without food bonus or any immunities and made the fight a cakewalk.

Appreciate the response and video! Is this the build? 10 MIG / 10 Con / 10 Dex / 16 Per / 16 Int / 16 Res

Can I assume this works against the other megabosses and DLC challenges in addition to the Sigil Master?

I did 12/10/16/16/16/8. Main game till fire dragon done, Messanger, Big Ooze done. Started SSS and I suspect some Seeker challenges can be pain in ass and that fight where you are turn into ironclad could be impossible. No clue about FS (Oracle fights).

edit 6 RES

Edited by Waski

signature2jpg-SM2.jpg

@brasilgringo what lv are You? I've just redid that fight with fire dragon (I have save just before ashen maw, lv20 PotD up). Stole that cloak first and equip, fist+Grave Calling and she died without me using any healing. Got her to near dead with WotW and it was enough to explode her with resonant touch.

Edit. It was even easier than first time, didn't get a wound.

Thanks for the info.  You're using the Stalking Cloak that stuns from stealth?  When you start to attack, are you in melee with her?  Do you buff first (she was meelee-ing me and giving wound while I was buffing in front of her with potions).... Sounds like you wait for her to summon oozes and then just use WoW with fist/scordeo equipped?  Why scordeo (I had trouble getting it to have enough PEN, fist had just enough).

What kind of gear are you using  - armor, rings, etc. I tried to stack 18 fire AR and it felt that was needed to not die right away.  Maybe my CON is too low. 

Fampyr Cave was even harder because they don't start all tightly grouped, and trying to pull them to make some group together exposes you to a lot of ranged damage. Had to equip DoC for immunity to mind, as well. 

Edited by brasilgringo
  • Like 1

I was testing out a Hellwalker build based on ideas in this thread, but seems very squishy even wearing patinated plate and using the +CON power (vs. +INT).  Groups of mobs do very high damage very quickly, like the Fampyrs in Cave.  For fire dragon, even stacking 18 Fire AR, i couldn't melee him due to eating his wound attacks (didn't see an easy way to constantly interrupt) -- had to stay at range with Essence Interrupter to beat him, with the Oozes blocking him.  I saw the OP had 600+ hp so perhaps I haven't stacked CON enough (I had about 400).  What's the secret?

Watch the video I linked to Darkly. 

I watched it.  Looks like you basically use your summons to tank the boss while you stay at range with blunderbuss to stack Resonant Touch debuffs before detonating them all.  When I used summons on Fire Dragon, they got distracted by the Oozes and didn't stay on the boss.  I assume you're using blunderbuss (even with NO PEN?) because it shoots multiple projectiles to increase your stack count more quickly.  

I did 12/10/16/16/16/8. Main game till fire dragon done, Messanger, Big Ooze done. Started SSS and I suspect some Seeker challenges can be pain in ass and that fight where you are turn into ironclad could be impossible. No clue about FS (Oracle fights).

For the ironclad transformation fight, I just went back to the Inn at the arena and used some standard companions that focused on auras (pally, chanter).  If the game is going to turn you into a mob that has no powers you spent all game getting on your toon, you shouldn't feel bad about no soloing 1 fight.

WotW:

new_hyleon.gif?dl=1

Surge:

Thanks for this Boeroer. What do you think is the best weapon for a monk DPS wise if I'm looking to go swift flurry and heartbeat drumming route?

On the other thread, someone told me fist + scordeo's edge will offer the highest dps if you can crit most the time. Or is there anything better?

I would guess Grave Calling (with Grave Bound --> paralyze --> 25% conversion) + Scordeo's Edge (Blade Cascade + Adaptive).

There may be other weapons that give you a bit more additional ACC than Grave Calling - but it comes legendary, has a lash and you can get it early. And Grave Bound is an easy enhantment and with Torment's Reach the 10 stacks are done in a breeze. And you also want to deal good damage when Swift Flurry doesn't trigger.

I also like that you'll have two sabres for all slash damage and two fists for crush as alternative.

Another alternative (I can imagine) is Rapier + modal (+25 ACC) & Scordeo's or Scordeo's + Azure Blade (+15 ACC).

But I like that Swift Flurry + Heartbeat Drumming are more satisfying with the high dmg per proc. And that the paralyze works for Scordeo's Edge and Adaptive works for Grave Calling as well.

By the way I tried a Debonaire/Helwalker Shadowdancer because of the 100% crit conversion when you attack a charmed enemy and with Swift Flurry + Heartbeat you have a 50% chance on your first attack that one of both or both proc. Sometimes you get a long chain of crits this way. :)

• Like 1

Appreciate the response and video! Is this the build? 10 MIG / 10 Con / 10 Dex / 16 Per / 16 Int / 16 Res

Can I assume this works against the other megabosses and DLC challenges in addition to the Sigil Master?

The important thing is that you have berath's blessing with +2 attributes and 16 per, because i don't like it, not to be able to see all traps and i believe you need at least 18 per to see em all. 16 resolve because you need a high will for auranic. Int can be lowered a bit, you will still be able to reach over 30 with turning wheel.

It works against alle megabosses, but i did not do any of the DLC yet, because if you can solo a megaboss, the other things should be much easier, excpet for that ironclad hunt in SSS, what seems to be doable with a holy slayer, but i doubt that you can do it with a sc monk.

Edited by baldurs_gate_2

With my bare fists i get even 16 penetration with tenacous, prestige and potion of ascension + shark soup, because it scales with transcedent suffering.

unbenanntybknr.png

I took at look at your pic and you are showing buffed skills of 31/28/26/20/25/24 (with the +10 might and +10 CON from wounds) ... and in the other vid, you have (no wounds) 18/18/21/20/25/25 ...  on the second vids stats, how did you chose your key breakpoints (e.g., 21 dex vs. 20 dex or even 18 dex)?

Curious what gear you're using to get to 18 AR and if that includes any armor buff from Iron Wheel (OK, nemnok cloak and spirit shield potion). Other vid has Giftbearer cloak to stack DEF, I presume that was a megaboss selection vs. Ajumet Stalking Cloak for encounters with more mobs (to stun on WoW).

I am messing around with a spreadsheet to track no-rest buffs and can see my way to something like 20/20/15/24/20/22 using Shark Soup, before gear.  Or something like 20/22/22/22/20/22 with gear (can move around some points to pump more RES - i'll try to experiment in game to see what is needed to reach 180+ Will).  It would be relatively easy to use gear to boost that by a few points around each attribute -- especially if we use Eviee pet (as suggested above) to free up head-slot (Eviee gives you the resolve affliction resistance, instead of needing Horns of Bleak Mother).  

I guess the benefit of taking Enlightened Agony is that you can shrug off afflictions relatively fast and get +5 Int (which would put you at 35 if you use Turning Wheel instead of the CON buff from Iron Wheel, and if that stacks with Enlighted Agony) - is that worth it?  I saw it wasn't in your Sigilmaster build (maybe you respec'd out of it?).

Not sure what to adjust - could sacrifice resolve for more DEX, or even lower PER for a few points elswhere before gear (no-rest build carries the nature's resolve +10 accuracy buff, and I know certain monk abilities increase it further like Enduring Dance and Razor's Edge).  Is the high Will from high resolve really necessary on an SC solo monk to avoid Arcane Damper (it feels like there's not much to be dispelled here - does Damper cancel the self-buffs or only potion-based buffs in an SC monk build?)  Lots of investment in stats ...

For armor, I've seen suggestions raising from High Harbinger Robe (which seems to squishy, but was in the OP), to Patinated Plate (I assume with the -recovery enchant), and I've thought about using DoC breastplate enchanted vs. intellect afflictions (for more resources too).   I tried using Contender's Armor and stacking athletics (for -recovery), but it didn't seem to really do that much vs trade-off of using other armors.

Race everyone seems to be going human, I assume because of near-death/bloodied buffs (this being hellwalker) -- vs. going pale elf for the +4 fire/cold AR?

I see Boeroer talk a lot about Torment's Reach and Stunning Surge ... in my quick testing so far, I couldn't see a good time to use either - it felt like spammming WoW was basically the thing to do (WoW also hitting stacks on Grave Calling quickly).   Worth taking both or giving one up in order to go for other powers like Crucible of Suffering, Long Pain, or the Bulls Will talent?

Last question:  abilities ... saw a suggestion here of stacking arcana to 13 to use Avenging Storm scrolls (I assume the rest goes into athletics), given a no-rest build can't really use the Heaven'e Cacophony helm (1x/rest Av Storm).  I suppose that would also let you use Pull of Eora scrolls to try to group mobs (and maybe if you hit yourself, it becomes an affliction you can clear to get Enlightened Agony).   What about any other sweet-spot spread into Alchemy or any other actives?  For passives, have to stack religion to get the shrine bonuses first, but after that, any suggstions on helpful passives?  (Looks like you stacked history for megabosses)

Thanks team.

Edited by brasilgringo

With my bare fists i get even 16 penetration with tenacous, prestige and potion of ascension + shark soup, because it scales with transcedent suffering.

unbenanntybknr.png

I took at look at your pic and you are showing buffed skills of 31/28/26/20/25/24 ... can you explain or post pics showing what's behind those?

Are those values shown with holding full wounds to get +10 might (Hellwalker) and +10 CON?

Curious what gear you're using to get to 18 AR and if that includes any armor buff from Iron Wheel.

I am messing around with a spreadsheet to track no-rest buffs and can see my way to something like 20/20/15/24/20/22 using Shark Soup, before gear.  It would be relatively easy to use gear to boost that by a few points around each attribute -- especially if we use Eviee pet (as suggested above) to free up head-slot (Eviee gives you the resolve affliction resistance, instead of needing Horns of Bleak Mother).  Any suggestions on the final stats to shoot for?

I guess the benefit of taking Enlightened Agony is that you can shrug off afflictions relatively fast and get +5 Int (which would put you at 35 if you use Turning Wheel instead of the CON buff from Iron Wheel, and if that stacks with Enlighted Agony) - is that worth it?

Not sure what to adjust - could sacrifice resolve for more DEX, or even lower PER for a few points elswhere before gear (no-rest build carries the nature's resolve +10 accuracy buff, and I know certain monk abilities increase it further like Enduring Dance and Razor's Edge).  Is the high Will from high resolve really necessary on an SC solo monk to avoid Arcane Damper (it feels like there's not much to be dispelled here - does Damper cancel the self-buffs or only potion-based buffs in an SC monk build?)  Lots of investment in stats ...

For armor, I've seen suggestions raising from High Harbinger Robe (which seems to squishy, but was in the OP), to Patinated Plate (I assume with the -recovery enchant), and I've thought about using DoC breastplate enchanted vs. intellect afflictions (for more resources too).   I tried using Contender's Armor and stacking athletics (for -recovery), but it didn't seem to really do that much vs trade-off of using other armors.

Race everyone seems to be going human, I assume because of near-death/bloodied buffs (this being hellwalker) -- vs. going pale elf for the +4 fire/cold AR?

I see Boeroer talk a lot about Torment's Reach and Stunning Surge ... in my quick testing so far, I couldn't see a good time to use either - it felt like spammming WoW was basically the thing to do (WoW also hitting stacks on Grave Calling quickly).   Worth taking both or giving one up in order to go for other powers like Crucible of Suffering, Long Pain, or the Bulls Will talent?

Last question:  abilities ... saw a suggestion here of stacking arcana to 13 to use Avenging Storm scrolls (I assume the rest goes into athletics), given a no-rest build can't really use the Heaven'e Cacophony helm (1x/rest Av Storm).  I suppose that would also let you use Pull of Eora scrolls to try to group mobs (and maybe if you hit yourself, it becomes an affliction you can clear to get Enlightened Agony).   What about any other sweet-spot spread into Alchemy or any other actives?  For passives, have to stack religion to get the shrine bonuses first, but after that, any suggstions on helpful passives?  

Thanks team.

I show the buffs in my video at the end:

Of course it is with max wounds and nemnok's cloak's ironskin + spirit shield, what seems to still stack. But you can not really use that item in a no rest run anymore.

In the Auranic fight, 180+ will are a safe bet, to receive non of the afflictions (except for arcane cleanse), but that does not really matter. And in SSS, it would be good to have a high will, in that cipher team fight at the end.

Edited by baldurs_gate_2
  • Like 1

WotW:

new_hyleon.gif?dl=1

Surge:

I would guess Grave Calling (with Grave Bound --> paralyze --> 25% conversion) + Scordeo's Edge (Blade Cascade + Adaptive).

There may be other weapons that give you a bit more additional ACC than Grave Calling - but it comes legendary, has a lash and you can get it early. And Grave Bound is an easy enhantment and with Torment's Reach the 10 stacks are done in a breeze. And you also want to deal good damage when Swift Flurry doesn't trigger.

I also like that you'll have two sabres for all slash damage and two fists for crush as alternative.

Another alternative (I can imagine) is Rapier + modal (+25 ACC) & Scordeo's or Scordeo's + Azure Blade (+15 ACC).

But I like that Swift Flurry + Heartbeat Drumming are more satisfying with the high dmg per proc. And that the paralyze works for Scordeo's Edge and Adaptive works for Grave Calling as well.

By the way I tried a Debonaire/Helwalker Shadowdancer because of the 100% crit conversion when you attack a charmed enemy and with Swift Flurry + Heartbeat you have a 50% chance on your first attack that one of both or both proc. Sometimes you get a long chain of crits this way. :)

Thanks for this Boeroer. What do you think about Rust Poignard? It gets mentioned a lot too on crit builds. 

Edited by giftmefood

For the ironclad transformation fight, I just went back to the Inn at the arena and used some standard companions that focused on auras (pally, chanter).  If the game is going to turn you into a mob that has no powers you spent all game getting on your toon, you shouldn't feel bad about no soloing 1 fight.

Impossible, Magran's Fires solo challange.

signature2jpg-SM2.jpg

It's only hard on potd or potd upscaled. On classic, you breeze through that one.

It's only hard on potd or potd upscaled. On classic, you breeze through that one.

Immposible to pick companion I meant :)

• Like 1

signature2jpg-SM2.jpg

Thanks for this Boeroer. What do you think about Rust Poignard? It gets mentioned a lot too on crit builds.

It's ok-ish. Bring Low lowers defenses by 10, that's quite handy. If you attack flanked targets mainly it's a good weapon.

But if you want more reliable CC that triggers on every crit then Ball and Chain is better I think.

All the megaboss builds I've seen here and on youtube are Helwalkers. Is there a reason not to use Nalpazca? I know arcane dampener clears drug effects, but if your will is high enough to make it miss anyway, you would think Nalpazca would be equally good. Is there something I'm missing?

The helwalker has higher might and can kill the mega bosses faster (needs less stacks of Resonant Touch). But Nalpazca is also good and probably more reliable overall.

All the megaboss builds I've seen here and on youtube are Helwalkers. Is there a reason not to use Nalpazca? I know arcane dampener clears drug effects, but if your will is high enough to make it miss anyway, you would think Nalpazca would be equally good. Is there something I'm missing?

The helwalker has higher might and can kill the mega bosses faster (needs less stacks of Resonant Touch). But Nalpazca is also good and probably more reliable overall.

What Kaylon said and what you said - I think the fact that Arcane Cleanse and Damper remove the drug effects and cause you not to be able to heal (afaik) are the downsides, along wiht the lower might.

What Kaylon said and what you said - I think the fact that Arcane Cleanse and Damper remove the drug effects and cause you not to be able to heal (afaik) are the downsides, along wiht the lower might.

Lower Might and Dampener does not work if you got 18xish WILL defense, but cleanse seems always to work, but only at the sigilmaster it gets cast. So just don't hit her, so only one pillars is active at a time.

Edited by baldurs_gate_2
  • Like 1