So far I was thinking...

Mindstalker (Trickster/Soul Blade) - downside is I played POE1 as a melee Cipher and I'm kinda burnt out

Spellsword (Streetfighter/Wizard) - I don't know how well casting spells while engaged in melee combat will work

Swashbuckler (Trickster/Devoted) - but I want to have Eder in my party and don't was to double up

Are there any other classes that fit the role of a high damage melee char with lots of active abilities?

Are you planning on playing Real-Time or Turn Based?

Each of the options you named are definitely viable. When it comes to just Active abilities, nothing really beats rogue... they have a ton of buttons to hit, and very few passive buffs.

In addition to your list, you might think about Tactician/Rogue (subclass doesn't particularly matter). Rogue brings a bunch of ways to flank, while tactician allows you to keep mashing buttons. I'm having a blast with this combo on TB.

• Like 1

Micro:

Rogue

Wizard

Druid

Cipher

Monk?

Combine and add subclass as desired. Bake for 40 minutes in char generator.

Edit: Removed Priest. More support than damager.

Edited by Frak
  • Like 2

Nerf Troubadour!

Monk seems to be the answer: basically unlimited resource pool and great dmg potential. Also needs some micro to get the most out of his abilities. For real good dmg really on multiclass with Rogue and become a melee Shadowdancer. Use Sun&Moon for the main hand and Scordeo's Edge for the offhand and pick Swift Flurry and later Heartbeat Drumming. Sun & Moon hits twice per swing to the chance to crit and trigger an additional crit is higher. Scordeo's Edge gives you lots of ACC via Adaptive. I mainly use Stunning Surge as active ability (nearly always no Mortificaton loss due to lots of crits) you can of course have a lot more.

Pick items and abilities around crits (Enervating Blows, Improved Critical, Precognition amulet) and add some lashes (Hylea's Gloves for example).

Target low defense enemies as priority. Like casters and such. Use Escape and Flagellant's Path to zip around the battlefield and take those out very quickly. Persistent Distraction unlocks Deathblows right on engagement.

The dmg bonus of Rogue paired with the lash of Turning Wheel is good.

Or single class Monk. Not as strong dps-wise as Shadowdancer - until the late game where it totally takes off (Resonant Touch + Whispers of the Wind + Stalking Cloak = bonkers).

Something like that. Subclasses not that important for the base concept. I'm doing a Debonaire/Helwalker test at the moment and it's pretty great (first charm a squishy for the sweet 100% crit chance and then one-shot it ;)).

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 2

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Are you planning on playing Real-Time or Turn Based?

Each of the options you named are definitely viable. When it comes to just Active abilities, nothing really beats rogue... they have a ton of buttons to hit, and very few passive buffs.

In addition to your list, you might think about Tactician/Rogue (subclass doesn't particularly matter). Rogue brings a bunch of ways to flank, while tactician allows you to keep mashing buttons. I'm having a blast with this combo on TB.

Real time

Wait are there any mechanical differences between RT and TB that changes up class/build effectiveness? I havent been following the TB too closely 

Monk seems to be the answer: basically unlimited resource pool and great dmg potential. Also needs some micro to get the most out of his abilities. For real good dmg really on multiclass with Rogue and become a melee Shadowdancer. Use Sun&Moon for the main hand and Scordeo's Edge for the offhand and pick Swift Flurry and later Heartbeat Drumming. Sun & Moon hits twice per swing to the chance to crit and trigger an additional crit is higher. Scordeo's Edge gives you lots of ACC via Adaptive. I mainly use Stunning Surge as active ability (nearly always no Mortificaton loss due to lots of crits) you can of course have a lot more.

Pick items and abilities around crits (Enervating Blows, Improved Critical, Precognition amulet) and add some lashes (Hylea's Gloves for example).

Target low defense enemies as priority. Like casters and such. Use Escape and Flagellant's Path to zip around the battlefield and take those out very quickly. Persistent Distraction unlocks Deathblows right on engagement.

The dmg bonus of Rogue paired with the lash of Turning Wheel is good.

Or single class Monk. Not as strong dos-wise as Shadowdancer - until the late game where it totally takes off (Resonant Touch + Whispers of the Wind + Stalking Cloak = bonkers).

Something like that. Subclasses not that important for the base concept. I'm doing a Debonaire/Helwalker test at the moment and it's pretty great (first charm a squishy for the sweet 100% crit chance and then one-shot it ;)).

Ohh Shadowdancers sound fun

Will having high deflection be counterintuitive since monks need to get hit to generate wounds?

Edit: Nevermind. Just realized that Shattered Pillars gain wounds by dealing damage. Seems like the ideal subclass to multi with Tricksters.

Edited by Ashray

Don't take Shattered Pillars! It's just bad (not as bad as Forbidden Fist, but still bad).

Only 5 wounds max (that means only +5 INT or +5 CON max with Iron Wheel or Turning Wheel). And you have to use auto-attacks to regain wounds. I mean sure: a Shadowndancer does lots of damage even with auto-attacks. But why would you want to do auto-attacks if you can spam abilites all day long and get less max wounds?

If you worry about wound genration take Nalpasca. Add Enduring Dance and you will have plenty of wounds al the time even without getting hit.

But you get hit from time to time anyways...

• Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Oof 5 wounds max is pretty harsh.

Trickster/Nalpazca sounds fun but having to rest to get rid of the crash effects might get tedious after a while. Does using a drug remove the crash effects of a different drug? If it does, I guess I could play a junkie and stay high all the time lol

Regarding attributes, what should I prioritize? I was thinking per, dex, might in that order and the rest at 10.

And skills, alchemy seems like a must. Diplomacy and insight for conversation options. And maybe stealth or mechanics, can't decide.