What do you think was up with the Frightened Child you encounter in the Collections in the Forgotten Sanctum? I read the lore from the book near her and it seems like she's able to bring imaginary beings and objects into being. When you terminate her life, one remarks "it's better of she's dead, whatever she was" almost making it sound like she was never human to begin with.

Are some humans "evolving" perhaps or becoming god-like beings?

I do t think it’s explained more that that.

It’s possible to conjure beings out of soul energy, see: previous two DLC and Chanters.

I remember she came with the instrument/crossbow thingy. I just assumed she was some kind of ultra powerful disturbed chanter.

• 1 month later...

What do you think was up with the Frightened Child you encounter in the Collections in the Forgotten Sanctum? I read the lore from the book near her and it seems like she's able to bring imaginary beings and objects into being. When you terminate her life, one remarks "it's better of she's dead, whatever she was" almost making it sound like she was never human to begin with.

Terminate her?  It seems like I can barely  scratch her, in spite of the fact that her deflection rating isn't really all that high.  On top of that, her imaginary friends seem just as untouchable.  I'm looking for some way to hurt her, but for the life of me I have no idea.  Does she have an insane number of HP or is she protected by something I missed?

I've managed to kill the  boss under the Collections and the Oracle, but the Frightened Child seems like the Invincible Child.  I read some note that made me wonder if silencing her could be the  trick, but I'm not aware of any ability or spell that actually does silence people in this game.

What am I missing?

Terminate her?  It seems like I can barely  scratch her, in spite of the fact that her deflection rating isn't really all that high.  On top of that, her imaginary friends seem just as untouchable.  I'm looking for some way to hurt her, but for the life of me I have no idea.  Does she have an insane number of HP or is she protected by something I missed?

I've managed to kill the  boss under the Collections and the Oracle, but the Frightened Child seems like the Invincible Child.  I read some note that made me wonder if silencing her could be the  trick, but I'm not aware of any ability or spell that actually does silence people in this game.

What am I missing?

If it bleed you can kill it.

I remember it was a tough fight, even on a veteran. I don't think there was any particular trick to it.

• Like 1

What am I missing?

If it bleed you can kill it.

I remember it was a tough fight, even on a veteran. I don't think there was any particular trick to it.

The problem was that I could, in theory, hit the Frightened Child (FC), but either she has an INCREDIBLE amount of hit points to the point that even a strong hit a meleer or Xoti's Flame Strike wasn't even making an appreciable dent in her HP total, or she's healing back those HP faster than I can even see.  Something just doesn't seem right.  I can send my Watcher, a strong 2-way DPS combatant, after FC, and even with me spamming active abilities, my Watcher seems to barely move her HP bar in the slightest. 

What am I missing?

Hire a monk, it's short work for that class.   

signature2jpg-SM2.jpg

Guys, thanks for all your help.  No, I haven't beaten the Frightened Child, but I do think that I found part of the source of my difficulty, both with the FC, but also with the Big Croc back near the end of SSS as the DracoLich near the end of BoW.  I had the level scaling turned on, and had forgotten that I'd done so.  So, I'm considering whether to restart from scratch with a new character or not.  I've had a lot of fun with this Swashbuckler.  She's one heck of a nasty melee-er and quite good at range too.

So, again, thanks for the help.

For me it was the hardest fight in the game and I just ended up skipping it bc I didn't see a pt.

That's the point:

https://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Scourge_of_Bezzello

Eh...never felt the need to use crossbows or arbalests. But I hear you, maybe others might.

Oh, I don't remember if it's any good but it's a crossbow and viola d'amore in one. Worth the trouble, I say. 

After visiting Arkemyr's mansion following the break-in, if you have Aloth in the group he will mention some magical incident involving the archmages and a destroyed village. This incident is referenced again during Forgotten Sanctum, once by either Llengrath or Tayn (forgot who) and in one of the many notes of those Librarians. IIRC, I believe it was in one of those notes that it's hinted that the girl came from that village the archmages' accidentally destroyed.