Can we agree that Rogues, Monks, and Wizards are the top 3 classes?

In terms of both awesomeness and effectiveness?

*Rogues not to be confused with Rouges, which is a form of makeup used by the female (and possibly) male genders.

I actually find Rogue not the best. My top four would be chanter, paladin and monk and wizard.  

I have trouble really coming up with a top 3 because I am paralyzed with being able to see merits in every class, but that being said wizards are definitely powerful and I just have to reiterate how early in the backer beta (and even around release) there were plenty of people who thought casters suck/were super underpowered. I feel like I literally predicted this outcome - every. damn. time people complain that fireballs don't do enough damage but then that's not the only thing wizards do, and nukes are not even the main reason why any caster can be so friggin good.

Edited by thelee
  • Like 2

*Rogues not to be confused with Rouges, which is a form of makeup used by the female (and possibly) male genders.

I actually find Rogue not the best. My top four would be chanter, paladin and monk and wizard.  

oooh yeah, this is what i mean about me being paralyzed... i think it depends on what you're trying to do.

i would rate chanter super highly just because they are unparallelled for big long fights (bosses, megabosses), but people who don't care about those fights (or skip a lot of them) might not rate chanter as highly.

Why Paladin good sir?

I just have to reiterate how early in the backer beta (and even around release) there were plenty of people who thought casters suck/were super underpowered.

I just thought the casting times were horrendous in beta. Once those were fixed the damage was top notch.

Nope. It's rangers, barbarians, and druids are the best. La au naturale. The wild bunch ftw. :thumbsup:

I love Druids. First playthrough of BG2 was a Shapeshifter. Unfortunately I struggle with shifting in Deadfire bc it takes away from spellcasting. But a better player than me can prob utilize them more efficiently! That -5PL on a Lifegiver hurts!

Edited by Verde

Why Paladin good sir?

Because of the high armor and very good heal options. Herald is one of the few classes, that can solo everything.

Why Paladin good sir?

Because of the high armor and very good heal options. Herald is one of the few classes, that can solo everything.

It's impossible for a herald to kill Dordu but it will tank him forever. Same goes for the slime, can tank it forever but not enough damage to go for the kill. 

Why Paladin good sir?

It's impossible for a herald to kill Dordu but it will tank him forever. Same goes for the slime, can tank it forever but not enough damage to go for the kill. 

There's a video of a herald soloing both of those encounters, using the skeleton chant for Doru and splitting the slimes with the weapon summon.

Edited by Frostoad
  • Like 1

Why Paladin good sir?

There's a video of a herald soloing both of those encounters, using the skeleton chant for Doru and splitting the slimes with the weapon summon.

That's Kaylon's build. He is actually here on the forums. I forgot about that. It's because I feel his Dordu strategy was a bit cheese but nevertheless amazing. And yeah the slime fight is actually brilliant despite it going on for 55 minutes haha. You are right, the herald can do it. 

The best class is the Hand Mortar. Subclasses like Rogue, Wizard etc. don't matter much. ;)

Actually I don't think there are top whatever classes. As others said: it depends a lot on what you are trying to do and what the rest of the party looks like.

Not a bad job on balancing.

A lot of people might say Troubadour as well, wouldn't they?

At the moment I'm doing a party build around a Beguiler (single class). Means Debonaire/Wizard, Tactician and so on. If I had to vote now and based on this playthrough I would say Beguiler is best. The new focus regeneration with Deception spells has to be broken: I refill my complete (lvl-20) focus with one cast of Phantom Foes. It's like being always ascended (in terms of power spam). I mean in terms of OPness the single class Monk is maybe still unmatched in a party setup when it comes to "kill everything with one ability use (or two if you count Resonant Touch to clean up)". But this new Beguiler just rules right from the start. Everything that can be fooled gets fooled. All the time...

In general I like Barbs. Their active abilities suck a bit unless you play single class (PL 9 is great). But they have some of the nicest passives. It's fun to combine those with other classes. Too bad Carnage got screwed over so profoundly...

And Monks obviously. +10 INT jeez! For me INT is the most important stat so no wonder I like them.

But that's what I like. It doesn't mean it's the best in general.

Fighter's Clear Out (and upgrades) has a lot of game breaking potential. But for some reasons I never liked Fighters too much.

Priest are not bottom if it comes to buffing your party. There is no better class to do this.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 6

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Nope. It's rangers, barbarians, and druids are the best. La au naturale. The wild bunch ftw.  :thumbsup:

This is good argument. I like it.

The answer is ofc chanter for all three due to versatility, but your argument is very sound.

Edited by Frak

Nerf Troubadour!

Why Paladin good sir?

Not giftmefood, but I also have hard time building a party without a paladin.

I do like their:

- +1AR aura (which doesn't require any cast/recovery time whatsoever, it just is) (although it doesn't stack with bonus AR from CON inspirations, and other active buffs... so that's something to keep in mind).

- Zealous Endurance upgrade is nice.

- Shared Flames - because my ciphers love that +20% lash (which is usually far better than a simple +20% damage bonus). (plus it also applies to non-DoT spells/powers)

- White Flames - due to the amount of healing they potentially bring; and without waisting time on some dedicated aoe healing spell.

- Inspiring Beacon - that +40% damage dealt is nice for party spellcasters (or anyone with low damage coefficient)

- Liberating and Steel Exhortatins - have respectable effects for 0.5s cast time / 0s recovery

Edited by MaxQuest

The best class is the Hand Mortar. Subclasses like Rogue, Wizard etc. don't matter much. ;)

Actually I don't think there are top whatever classes. As others said: it depends a lot on what you are trying to do and what the rest of the party looks like.

Not a bad job on balancing.

A lot of people might say Troubadour as well, wouldn't they?

At the moment I'm doing a party build around a Beguiler (single class). Means Debonaire/Wizard, Tactician and so on. If I had to vote now and based on this playthrough I would say Beguiler is best. The new focus regeneration with Deception spells has to be broken: I refill my complete (lvl-20) focus with one cast of Phantom Foes. It's like being always ascended (in terms of power spam). I mean in terms of OPness the single class Monk is maybe still unmatched in a party setup when it comes to "kill everything with one ability use (or two if you count Resonant Touch to clean up)". But this new Beguiler just rules right from the start. Everything that can be fooled gets fooled. All the time...

In general I like Barbs. Their active abilities suck a bit unless you play single class (PL 9 is great). But they have some of the nicest passives. It's fun to combine those with other classes. Too bad Carnage got screwed over so profoundly...

And Monks obviously. +10 INT jeez! For me INT is the most important stat so no wonder I like them.

But that's what I like. It doesn't mean it's the best in general.

Fighter's Clear Out (and upgrades) has a lot of game breaking potential. But for some reasons I never liked Fighters too much.

Priest are not bottom if it comes to buffing your party. There is no better class to do this.

Debonair/Wizard...creative! How's that coming?

Also if I wanted to create a Wiz Nuker could I forego some Int for Mig?

Edited by Verde

I think it goes Wizards, Monks, Chanters, Paladins, and then the rest with priest at the bottom.

i am a bit biased, because i play priests a lot. but i play priests a lot and have a lot of experience with them. so i strongly believe they don't belong at the bottom--as a whole I think they're overall balanced, with some individual subclasses that shoot up the tier (wael, skaen). devotions of the faithful alone is still an amazing general-purpose buff/debuff.

Edited by thelee
  • Like 2

Debonair/Wizard...creative! How's that coming?

The Debonaire gets 100% crit conversion on charmed enemies. Beguiler casts Ring Leader, Debonaire then casts whatever friendly fire spell (direct damage like Fireball etc mostly, since targets flip after getting damaged). All his hits get converted to crits which takes away the PEN issue completely and gives yome nice bonus damage (with Precognition and Improved Crits is a +60% damage, sometimes even overpenetration). DoTs like Pernicious Cloud are also good since they get +50% duration. You need something that does friendly fire - or you choose single target spells. Most of them can be targeted on allies (Necrotic Lance etc.).  

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

The nice thing is that classes are well differentiated. Even if some classes are generally stronger that matters a whole lot less than the jobs they do and importantly don't do. Many of the weaker classes are nonetheless important because they support the rest of the party well.

• Like 2

Ascendant Ciphers deserves a mention.  Slightly below Heralds but above Wizards.  

The ability to spam PL 6-9 spells non-stop for a minute or longer? Please.  Amplified Waves clear rooms and Disintegrates massacre bosses and Echoplastic Echo and Mind Blades are two of the highest damaging low-level abilities in the game.  Multiclass with any other DPS class (especially Helwalker Monk) and you'll ascend within seconds of fight start.  

Also, all of their damage spells are Foe Only, which is a huge edge over most Wiz spells.  

Edited by Marigoldran