so this guy has started posting some pretty interesting solo POTD videos on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtb09ow4RpMuFoGBXpkHLlg

I asked him to come here and post his builds, but not sure he will.

I'm trying to decipher what he's doing.  He has a Tactician/Rogue swashbuckler build that seems to be perma-spamming debilitating strike (to create flanked / get back guile from Brilliant) while using the baby boar pet that makes all melee attacks interrupt -- with this, he seems able to kill bosses crazy fast (not sure what weapon speed buffs are in use, looks crazy fast).  His video taking down the magma dragon shows the dragon not getting like a single special attack or summon off.  He clicks thru his gear and stats at the end of the vids, but doesn't show the ability tree choices.  It seemed like a super cool build.  My only concern is how it will keep up brilliant on many mobs, not just a boss.  Maybe he kills enough mobs quickly enough that he doesn't need Brilliant right away.

He also has a pure Priest build that seems to kill bossses faster than I could with my Thaumaturge build, just by a combination of Fire PL stacking and Magran's symbol / Storm of Holy Fire / Pillar of Holy Fire ... it is surprising to me because I remember these fights taking much longer with my build (which also had Pillar and Storm, but not the symbol 8-9 lvl spells) and also was stacking crit gear.  Again he goes thru gear and stats, but doesn't show power / ability choices.  In one vid he is fighting Nemnok alone (only Nemnok) and I don't know how he did that, as whenever you attack mobs on that level of the lair, they *all* come running including Nemnok (and Raven Darkholme's tip of using an invis spell right after  only seems to get rid of 50% of the mobs)

I wonder if the core buildmasters here can take a look and try to figure out what he's doing?   My first thought was that perhaps the bosses aren't upscaled POTD, just POTD, but I think maybe that's not it.  They all just seem to take me a lot longer to kill, even with combusting wounds / wall of fire / chill fog / freezing pillar / Storm of Holy Fire / Pillar of Holy Fire.  He also seems to take very little damage in some cases, both on his priest (who I would have expected to take a lot more) and even on the swashbuckler (though he did take some hits on the enchanted armor fight).

Thoughts? 

Hope he comes here to post.

You can use Smoke Cloud and/or Hand Mortar to flank a lot of enemies.

I also thought about Tactician + Baby Boar the other day when I was looking at the pets' wiki page. You have to resolve the scripted event/encounter with Chief Echoing-Strike in a certain way I believe? Or is it always there?

Honestly the Baby Boar is one of the best pets even though it's not even a Superpeter - or is it?

Against AoE I would use Smoke Cloud + Clear Out I guess. That would be AoE Flanked + AoE interrupt (even without Boar).

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

You can use Smoke Cloud and/or Hand Mortar to flank a lot of enemies.

I also thought about Tactician + Baby Boar the other day when I was looking at the pets' wiki page. You have to resolve the scripted event/encounter with Chief Echoing-Strike in a certain way I believe? Or is it always there?

Honestly the Baby Boar is one of the best pets even though it's not even a Superpeter - or is it?

I have played hundreds of hours and have never gotten a baby boar from Chief Echoing-Strike. looking it up now it appears to be a function of me never having hte stealth to sneak closer and observe.

looking at it now, the baby boar sounds like an insane pet. Is it a 100% interrupt chance??

He shows .4s attack and 1.6s recovery on Rust's Poignard; I think that's just Armored Grace+Two Weapon Style+21 dex (according to MaxQuest's calculator, anyway). In combat speed should be a bit higher (he's at least getting Modwyr's speed buff as well), but the real speed is coming from the full attacks (and playing on fast mode) as far as I can tell.

• Like 1

There's nothing special - against solo enemies without perception resistance he gets brilliance and can spam Debilitating Strike which interrupts on hit (the boar has only a small chance to interrupt and I don't know why he's using it).

The only thing I don't understand (and looks like a bug to me) is the fact he gets brilliance during Smoke Veil - vs the guardian of Ukaizo he uses Bending Trunk to stay alive as much as possible, then casts Smoke Veil to trigger brilliance and replenish resources again.

Edited by Kaylon

so this guy has started posting some pretty interesting solo POTD videos on youtube:

I'm trying to decipher what he's doing.  He has a Tactician/Rogue swashbuckler build that seems to be perma-spamming debilitating strike (to create flanked / get back guile from Brilliant) while using the baby boar pet that makes all melee attacks interrupt -- with this, he seems able to kill bosses crazy fast (not sure what weapon speed buffs are in use, looks crazy fast).  His video taking down the magma dragon shows the dragon not getting like a single special attack or summon off.  He clicks thru his gear and stats at the end of the vids, but doesn't show the ability tree choices.  It seemed like a super cool build.  My only concern is how it will keep up brilliant on many mobs, not just a boss.  Maybe he kills enough mobs quickly enough that he doesn't need Brilliant right away.

He also has a pure Priest build that seems to kill bossses faster than I could with my Thaumaturge build, just by a combination of Fire PL stacking and Magran's symbol / Storm of Holy Fire / Pillar of Holy Fire ... it is surprising to me because I remember these fights taking much longer with my build (which also had Pillar and Storm, but not the symbol 8-9 lvl spells) and also was stacking crit gear.  Again he goes thru gear and stats, but doesn't show power / ability choices.  In one vid he is fighting Nemnok alone (only Nemnok) and I don't know how he did that, as whenever you attack mobs on that level of the lair, they *all* come running including Nemnok (and Raven Darkholme's tip of using an invis spell right after  only seems to get rid of 50% of the mobs)

I wonder if the core buildmasters here can take a look and try to figure out what he's doing?   My first thought was that perhaps the bosses aren't upscaled POTD, just POTD, but I think maybe that's not it.  They all just seem to take me a lot longer to kill, even with combusting wounds / wall of fire / chill fog / freezing pillar / Storm of Holy Fire / Pillar of Holy Fire.  He also seems to take very little damage in some cases, both on his priest (who I would have expected to take a lot more) and even on the swashbuckler (though he did take some hits on the enchanted armor fight).

Thoughts? 

He has some temp buffs on him, what would go away when you rest and some of them, can only get once per playthrough. Second, i would say, the swashbuckler is the worst rogue melee combo. Shadowdancer / Holy Slayer and Marauder are better. I tried them all, except for the new tactican, what could make it better, but the dps is best for the shadowdancer and holy slayer i would say.

Thoughts? 

he is fighting normal mobs? a lot of builds out there which can solo normal mobs. megabosses is where the true solo is. raven darkholme pioneered a lot of his build ideas so now people can solo it. 

Good replies above.  So how is he able to attack so fast and constantly interrupt the magma dragon so it never gets a special attack off -- summoning oozes or biting/wounding him or breath attack?  Is it just spamming debilitating strike fast enough (I assume he hotkeyed it) ...and then he doesn't run out of Guile due to Brilliant (he seems to be spamming it faster than I thought Brilliant would recover Guile).

How is his priest able to deliver so much damage so quickly?  As I said, even buffing my Thaumaturge with Wiz & Priest buffs, it's taking me a lot longer to take down bosses than he is showing -- is his use of level 8-9 priest spells that much of a burst damage advantage vs. me using Storm of HF / Pillar of HF / combusting wounds + activators (missiles, walls) / Freezing Pillar?  I stacked a ton of crit gear too.  He doesn't even seem to use all the priest buffs I use, like Dire Blessing, Crowns.  Also he must cry a bit against fire-immunes, right?

Maybe the Tactician/Rogue is worth trying if the hand-mortar approach to flank mobs simultaneously is doable.

The baby boar pet interaction is described here:  https://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Boa_Hika_Pass

Wiki doesn't seem to show the interrupt chance - is it only 5%?

<<Second, i would say, the swashbuckler is the worst rogue melee combo. Shadowdancer / Holy Slayer and Marauder are better. I tried them all, except for the new tactican, what could make it better, but the dps is best for the shadowdancer and holy slayer i would say.>>

He went Tactician/Rogue (Trickster?) because he wanted the Resource regen and +PL from Brilliant.

Edited by brasilgringo

he is fighting normal mobs? a lot of builds out there which can solo normal mobs. megabosses is where the true solo is. raven darkholme pioneered a lot of his build ideas so now people can solo it. 

Most of his fights are boss battles, not megaboss.  For Nemnok he just shows fighting Nemnok alone, which seems odd to me (see my post above).  For other fights like Memory Hoarder and Eyeball FS boss (Oracle) he deals with their adds too.

I'd like to see how his builds do on maps where you pull a ton of mobs, like Splintered Reef sea-lashed crypt entrance and even Nemnok other floors.

Edited by brasilgringo

I'd like to see how his builds do on maps where you pull a ton of mobs, like Splintered Reef sea-lashed crypt entrance and even Nemnok other floors.

Simple - Bending Trunk to stay alive and kill as much as possible, then cast Smoke Veil to replenish resources and reset the fight. Come back and repeat until everyone is dead.

Most of his fights are boss battles, not megaboss.  For Nemnok he just shows fighting Nemnok alone, which seems odd to me (see my post above).  For other fights like Memory Hoarder and Eyeball FS boss (Oracle) he deals with their adds too.

yeah that's what i meant. pretty much 99% of the game is normal mobs for me (because they are that easy) apart from the 4 megabosses which offers considerably more challenge than the rest.  

Good replies above.  So how is he able to attack so fast and constantly interrupt the magma dragon so it never gets a special attack off -- summoning oozes or biting/wounding him or breath attack?  Is it just spamming debilitating strike fast enough (I assume he hotkeyed it) ...and then he doesn't run out of Guile due to Brilliant (he seems to be spamming it faster than I thought Brilliant would recover Guile).

How is his priest able to deliver so much damage so quickly?  As I said, even buffing my Thaumaturge with Wiz & Priest buffs, it's taking me a lot longer to take down bosses than he is showing -- is his use of level 8-9 priest spells that much of a burst damage advantage vs. me using Storm of HF / Pillar of HF / combusting wounds + activators (missiles, walls) / Freezing Pillar?  I stacked a ton of crit gear too.  He doesn't even seem to use all the priest buffs I use, like Dire Blessing, Crowns.  Also he must cry a bit against fire-immunes, right?

Maybe the Tactician/Rogue is worth trying if the hand-mortar approach to flank mobs simultaneously is doable.

The baby boar pet interaction is described here:  https://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Boa_Hika_Pass

Wiki doesn't seem to show the interrupt chance - is it only 5%?

<<Second, i would say, the swashbuckler is the worst rogue melee combo. Shadowdancer / Holy Slayer and Marauder are better. I tried them all, except for the new tactican, what could make it better, but the dps is best for the shadowdancer and holy slayer i would say.>>

He went Tactician/Rogue (Trickster?) because he wanted the Resource regen and +PL from Brilliant.

Easy, it's about penetration and concentration. If you run out of CON, you get interrupted and that happens to enemies as well, but it does not, if you don't pen the enemy.

I tried the magma dragon with scordeo + grave calling, i had 13 pen and the dragon 18 slash armor. I could not interrupt it. After that, i tried it with fists (shadowdancer) with 14 pen and the dragon has 16 armor, so i pen and i interrupt him always.

Edited by baldurs_gate_2
  • Like 1

Simple - Bending Trunk to stay alive and kill as much as possible, then cast Smoke Veil to replenish resources and reset the fight. Come back and repeat until everyone is dead.

I didn't think smoke veil would let you drop combat entirely like a Withdrawal does.  I guess I'm wrong.  I remember mobs still coming after you.   Also I would have thought that the damage from all those mobs would eat through Unbending and Gipon Prudensco pretty quick, given he's dual wielding.  Again I guess I'll have to go check. Thanks.

I noticed he was using Hot Razor Skewers to beef up his +PEN so if he's switching out his food buffs and then going back to get Alchemy Pool buffs etc, that must get pretty old pretty fast.   Otherwise not sure how he avoids being charmed/dominated by Fampyrs unless he's at <50% health and relying on slippery mind?

Still trying to figure out what he's doing on priest that I can't on Thaum, unless it's just the level 8-9 damage spells.  Again still kind of stunned he can stay alive vs. the mobs even with burst dmg. Doesn't look like he's self-healing much or even BDDing.

Edited by brasilgringo

I made a short video, the resolution should get better in some time:

It's very simple.

Well there you go.  I guess he is using Brilliant to get back guile fast enough so he doesn't have to refresh with empower.

This magma dragon fight to this point has been one of the hardest I've done.  On my Tact/Bloodmage I had to keep the oozes in between me and the dragon so the dragon couldn't bite me, and had to heal thru the fire damage from the oozes (using +fire AR and Revku cloak) and his breath.  On my Thaum, it was just BDD-up the whole time.  But in both cases, doing damage took me a lot longer basically using the Ninagauth spells -- the beam, frozen fireball, and pillar.  I tried this fight the other day on a Beguiler/Ancient and couldn't do it- ran out of resources (no-rest run, not using empower).  I guess melee can interrupt him permanently, i had no idea.

What's he doing on Priest tho besides the lvl 8-9 dmg spells and throwing in some scrolls.

Edited by brasilgringo

I made a short video, the resolution should get better in some time:

It's very simple.

Well there you go.  I guess he is using Brilliant to get back guile fast enough so he doesn't have to refresh with empower.

This magma dragon fight to this point has been one of the hardest I've done.  On my Tact/Bloodmage I had to keep the oozes in between me and the dragon so the dragon couldn't bite me, and had to heal thru the fire damage from the oozes (using +fire AR and Revku cloak) and his breath.  On my Thaum, it was just BDD-up the whole time.  But in both cases, doing damage took me a lot longer basically using the Ninagauth spells -- the beam, frozen fireball, and pillar.  I tried this fight the other day on a Beguiler/Ancient and couldn't do it- ran out of resources (no-rest run, not using empower).  I guess melee can interrupt him permanently, i had no idea.

What's he doing on Priest tho besides the lvl 8-9 dmg spells and throwing in some scrolls.

Can't tell. He speeded up the combat to max, but i only saw so much damage with deltro's helm and a thaumaturge. But the helm got a fix, so that would not be as fast anymore. It's clearly the Holy Fire that deals so much damage at the end, but i don't know exactly how.

• Like 1

I didn't think smoke veil would let you drop combat entirely like a Withdrawal does.  I guess I'm wrong.  I remember mobs still coming after you.   Also I would have thought that the damage from all those mobs would eat through Unbending and Gipon Prudensco pretty quick, given he's dual wielding.  Again I guess I'll have to go check. Thanks.

Smoke Veil gives you invisibility+untargetability, and that's good enough to drop combat if there are no other viable targets. I think literally any invisibility or untargetability effect works like this.

Plus, I would generally trust Kaylon to know what works for dropping combat, since Kaylon is a (the?) solo master around these parts.

I noticed he was using Hot Razor Skewers to beef up his +PEN so if he's switching out his food buffs and then going back to get Alchemy Pool buffs etc, that must get pretty old pretty fast.

In my experience, solo experiences are only intended for people with a high tolerance for tedium.

• Like 1

Well, i did some testing and with PL bonuses from Magran's Favor, Sun and Moon, Potion of Ascenion, Otto Starcat, etc. plus priest buffs, a lot of the bosses aren't living thru chain casts of Storm and Pillar with some combusting wounds thrown in for flavor.  Adding level 8-9 spells just makes it faster (I hadn't been using, since I was multi-classed, but I modded it).  Maybe that's just the secret, to go balls out on non-fire immunes.... thing is, I'm still buffing more than he was, with a lot of acc/crit buffs, pen buffs, and stat buffs ... and BDD or i'd die with all the aoe around me. 

Can't tell. He speeded up the combat to max, but i only saw so much damage with deltro's helm and a thaumaturge. But the helm got a fix, so that would not be as fast anymore. It's clearly the Holy Fire that deals so much damage at the end, but i don't know exactly how.

Remember you can playback Youtube video with 0.25x speed. If you want to do scrutiny. You can also download it and play in your favourite media player that allows for changing playback speed. Just a FYI.

Nerf Troubadour!

• 2 months later...

5% chance to interrupt. LMAO

Now I know why it's not a super pet. It's not even a so-so pet..

First attack I made after putting baby boar on interrupted a spell. I thought "this pet is amazing". Haven't noticed any interrupts since and now I know why. This was very hard to google though; the devs should have given numbers like they usually do.

Also, this dude's videos are neat so I don't mind bumping this thread.

• Like 1