Incorrect line delivery by voice actor

So this has bugged me for a while and I didn't know why until I finaly realized the voice actor was putting the wrong emphasys on words and delivered his lines completely wrong.

This is about the short cutscene that plays in Dunnage in the The King's Coffin between the two pirates regarding the pulling of teeth.

Now the pirate Llendreth kills another pirate after arguing about pulling teeth right after death or waiting a while and then pulling them.

The line in question is: "What do you know - It really does make no difference." 

The line is delivered as if Llendreth is proving his point after killing the other pirate, but he is in fact simply confirming that the other pirate is right. This means the line should have delivered as if he was surprised and then confirming it by stating it doesn't make any difference after all.

Can't believe the director also didn't pick this up.

• Like 1

You know, I never put it together before, but that Llendreth has got to be the one you can hire for your crew-- the only Helmsman in the game who can level up to 4 stars.  Probably aren't many other fearless, impulsive Orlans named Llendreth hanging out in Dunnage.

Anyhow, I didn't find the delivery to be distractingly bad.  A small bit of misplaced emphasis (too little on "what" and too much on "you"), probably the result of the VA wrangling the accent. 

• Like 1

I really do not see (or hear) what other people are complaining about. The delivery sounds fine to me. It's literally like "oh hey, what a fun surprise, it turns out the other guy (whom I just killed in cold blood) is right after all."

that being said, LITERALLY UNPLAYABLE.

Edited by thelee

I really do not see (or hear) what other people are complaining about. The delivery sounds fine to me. It's literally like "oh hey, what a fun surprise, it turns out the other guy (whom I just killed in cold blood) is right after all."

In all fairness, that's not what he said tho. Saying, what do you know? And then you're right, is contradictory and weird. Its comical and confusing and being called out as such. Edited by Verde

• 3 weeks later...

In all fairness, that's not what he said tho. Saying, what do you know? And then you're right, is contradictory and weird. Its comical and confusing and being called out as such.

When he says "What do you know?" it means something like "Well, how about that?" or "Well, that's surprising."

It isn't really contradictory, but the reading makes it sound like he may have literally meant  "What do you (as in, the guy he just shot) know?"

In the last sentence, I meant 'literally' literally (sigh - maybe someday people will stop using 'literally' when they don't mean it and we can go back to just using it without clarification  :biggrin:   ).

In all fairness, that's not what he said tho. Saying, what do you know? And then you're right, is contradictory and weird. Its comical and confusing and being called out as such.

When he says "What do you know?" it means something like "Well, how about that?" or "Well, that's surprising."

It isn't really contradictory, but the reading makes it sound like he may have literally meant "What do you (as in, the guy he just shot) know?"

In the last sentence, I meant 'literally' literally (sigh - maybe someday people will stop using 'literally' when they don't mean it and we can go back to just using it without clarification :biggrin: ).

I think it's the opposite of what you said. He's meant to say, 'Hey, wadda ya know?' As in you're right, surprise, but it comes off like, hey you don't know, and then contradicts with him then saying he's right.

I just played the part recently and this topic helped me understand why it irked me.