Best weapons for a crit based build melee/ranged build. Or just a ranged build.

I'm a sucker for crits and cool crit effects even if they aren't the most reliable things to build around. What weapons should I look for? I'm looking for a kind of weird yet effective build.

P

I saw frostseeker but I've used it in a build before

I was looking at a dual wield pistol build but it seems to be lacking aoe.

I've done dual woeld hand mortars.

Just any idea would be appreciated!

You can stack accuracy and +PEN on a build like my Deathless Thaumaturge (no-rest)....then you just drop massive AOEs or small AOEs on foes like Pillar of Holy Fire critting for 283 in AOE or Storm of Holy Fire critting for 160+, or the Ninagath spells ... you just have to live on the edge to do it. I like it a lot more than plinking things with a bow, but that's me.

I wouldn't list Essence Interrupter for a crit build because it procs only on kill...  ;)

Sungrazer stuns on crit and Thundercrack paralyzes on crit. Ball and Chain knocks down on crit. Aldris Blade deals shock damage and heals on crits. For AoE damage Frostseeker remains the best.

Depends. The effect only gets applied on crit.

I was toying around with a Debonaire/Beguiler with Essence Interrupter. You can guarantee a crit on all charmed enemies (I mean if you don't miss or graze) - so I cast Ringleader on a group and shoot at each one once. The other party members can then do their stuff - every kill leads to a summon. Pretty effective I must say.

It "DISINTEGRATES" not better than some other weapons though. It's a hunting bow with a bit of a lash. Aamiina's Legacy should be equally good as a hunting bow when it comes to dealing damage. 

A crit build I was then testing is Debonaire/Helwalker with Sun&Moon and Scordeo's Edge. And obviously Swift Flurry/Heartbeat Drumming and Stunning Surge. Enduring Dance and Adaptive stack.

With a cipher in the party (or mayba a chanter - sombody who can charm non-kith for you) you should mainly attack charmed enemies with Stunning Surge: guaranteed refund and a high chance of triggering Swift Flurry and/or Heartbeat Drumming. On mobs it usually means one-shotting them. For kith I use Debonaire Charm and Magistrate's Cudgel (kills kith on crit and the crit conversion against charmed is 100%).

Another nice crt build was doing Karabörü (Bloody Mess) with a Fighter/Helwalker: Swift Flurry/Heartbeat Drumming and Clear Out and Mob Stance. All enemies in reach will have a chance to trigger Bloody Mess.

That works best (naturally) against groups of low defense enemies. So hefty AoE debuff is necessary.

I really like St. Omaku's Merci. The 50% recovery skip on crit is not too random. And also here: attacking charmed enemies as Debonaire... you'll reduce your recovery by 50% basically (as long as you don't miss or graze that often).  

And then it's also possible to do a Debonaire/Wizard and nuke charmed enemies with AoE. You'll get 100% crits which helps so much with the generally low PEN of some spells. 

For all this Debonaire stuff it's best to have the new Beguiler in the party. His focus refund with Draining Whip is kind of OP now. I'm basically casting like an Ascendant all the time (when using nbig AoE Deception spells every now and then). Note that dominated does not count, only charmed.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 2

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Hmm so frostseeker is king of AoE still?

What would you rank after that in terms of AoE? (Excluding blunderbi).

I was king of wanting to make a dual wield pistol build using the modal with ranger to boost my accuarcy (and I honestly love ranger for some reason) but it doesn't look like I'd output decent AoE which I'd like to. I tend to always make 1 Mercenary who enhances my MC so I was going to make a paladin/chanter for the additional lashes /crit / reload speed.

But I figure If I can shoot fast enough I could potentially not worry about AoE to much, I essentially want to machine gun out shots.

St Amokus looked interesting figure I could go sharpshooter / devoted with it.

Essence interruptor looked really interesting what exactly does it summon?

Essentially I'm looking for a high damage turret build that just shreds out high damage / weird procs

Kings of AoE are Hand Mortars. There's nothing that comes even remotely close.

Just like they are. But on top (as I said in another thread): Blinding Smoke triggers Avenging Storm. Blinding Smoke triggers on crit and is an AoE cone itself...

You can do Clear Out with Hand Mortar (put a melee weapon into your offhand) and do this:

kaboooooom_the_path.gif?dl=1

So that would most likely be one of the most devastating crit builds. But it's also a bit... I don't know... cheesy?

• Haha 1

Why not a Ranger with dual mortars? They look like stubby pistols and dish out a lot of AoE dmg especially with Driving Flight. Second class could be Rogue.

What's also nice if you want to unleash your inner Cowboy: a single one handed pistol (any pistol) and activating the modal. You'll cut your recovery in half but will only lose 3 ACC. Combined with Ranger's ACC buffs and maybe Gunner you can fire really quickly (faster than with Two Weapons Style) with nearly no ACC loss. But of course no AoE dmg.

It's just i've already done the dual mortar approach so i just want something else.

Yeah I'm thinking about dual wielding Scordeo's /  Thundercrack right now going ranger / devoted and figure i can carry a bow and deal with the 10 accuracy malus when i run into pierce immune mobs

Scordeo One Handed with Single Class Ranger ?

(I find One Handed Style somehow more badass for cowboys anyway.
Average badass go Dual Wield, but Premium Badass doesn't need his left hand ^^)

You can generate more Hits with Twin Shots/Heart Seeker + Driving Flight.

Once you have stacked enough recovery bonus, you can basically fire without recovery, which help keeping it up.

Stunning Shots would ultimately cause your Crit to Interrupt, which is nice with constant pew pew.

Plus Scordeo's crit bonus of course.

Edited by Elric Galad

Yes, it's not the most powerful thing around but it's preety good and more importantly it's fun. That superfast reloading has Hollywood potential and it has style (I mean in general, not only one handed style).

You have to wear the cowboy hat which does nothing and Miscreant's Leather of course...

Really, any, but especially something I could use with a companion. Maybe especially with Maia, but really any of the companions/sidekicks. (The reason I say "any" is that I'm happy to use the Unity console to change companion classes.)

I could do the Clear the Path thing with Rekke as a fighter.

Edited by TheMetaphysician

For example. Also Penetrating Strike works with ranged weapons - good for mortar. You can also use Clear Out. So you can go multiclass.

Or single class Rager: Whirling Strikes works with Hand Mortar if you put a melee weapon into the offhand (like Clear Out).

Any rogue with Hand Mortar (and Blinding Smoke) is also great. First shot distracts, second shot already Deathblows in an AoE. 

Babarian with Heart of Fury.

Ciphers get a ton of focus with it when targeting a group.

• Like 1

Kings of AoE are Hand Mortars. There's nothing that comes even remotely close.

Just like they are. But on top (as I said in another thread): Blinding Smoke triggers Avenging Storm. Blinding Smoke triggers on crit and is an AoE cone itself...

You can do Clear Out with Hand Mortar (put a melee weapon into your offhand) and do this:

kaboooooom_the_path.gif?dl=1

So that would most likely be one of the most devastating crit builds. But it's also a bit... I don't know... cheesy?

If there's a solo POTD build for this, I would do it in a heartbeat :)

If there's a good solo build with Fighter you can do this. Put Hand Mortar (together with whatever melee weapon)) into your second or third weapon set, wear Heaven's Cacophony or use a scroll of Avenging Storm and pick Clear Out.

You don't need to take Serafen I believe. Although I never did this I think you can kill him and he drops the mortar.

Edited by Boeroer

For example. Also Penetrating Strike works with ranged weapons - good for mortar. You can also use Clear Out. So you can go multiclass.

Or single class Rager: Whirling Strikes works with Hand Mortar if you put a melee weapon into the offhand (like Clear Out).

Any rogue with Hand Mortar (and Blinding Smoke) is also great. First shot distracts, second shot already Deathblows in an AoE. 

Babarian with Heart of Fury.

Ciphers get a ton of focus with it when targeting a group.

I was just wondering whether whirling strikes would work much the same way as Clear the Path. I imagine the current bug prevents the raw damage from being applied multiple times to everyone in the AOE, though. And I wonder if the DoT would stack anyway.

Edited by TheMetaphysician

It doesn't really stack it seems - but the AoE * AoE + Driving Flight + Powder Burns + DoT is plenty strong. If you also use Heaven's Cacophony the enemies (and your graphics card) will melt. If you combine it with Scordeo's Edge + Blade Cascade you often get a proc - and Whirling Strikes is "only" 3 Bond.

• Like 1

It is weird that this strategy works (full attack abilities like whirling strikes and clear the path, with one melee and one ranged weapon), when some other full attack abilities don't. When I put hunter's fang (a full attack ability) on Maia, with mortar in the main hand and dagger in the off, and went up to an enemy, clicked on hunter's fang -- it only attacks with the dagger.

How powerful is driving flight? Playing around with ranger I think it would be the main selling point for a multiclass, can it provide on hit effects like for the frostseeker?

Are the monk nerfs to ranged pretty crazy?

I was running my dual pistol idea with a helwalker using dance of death waiting for the lightning lash, but with dance it would seem accuarcy is less of an issue but penetration maybe more so. I was thinking of switching to devoted for the bonus pen but I'm not entirely sure it'd be worth it either.

So I guess I need to figure out how strong driving flight is, and if pen will be an issue and if so what are my ways around it. I guess the bonus of not devoted and sticking to my cowboy theme I can use an arequebus for higher armored targets?