Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Penetration Mod

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

Phenomenum

Phenomenum

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 588 posts

Gonna have to play around with these changes, but I like the logic behind them at least.

I'm not totally sure about several "-N% incoming damage" nerfes, so this section is likely will be changed somehow. I'd like to see some cryticism and proposals!

merkmerk73

merkmerk73

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 65 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

I really, really like what you've done here and I want to save this post.

I'm sure you might have some further iterations but it seems like you solved the biggest, glaring problem with the AR vs Pen system - the deadzones.

There are massive deadzones in penetration for the player, as well as massive deadzones in armor for the player

If you watched Josh Sawyer give the GD conference talk about deadzones in D&D - this was the #1 problem he wanted to get rid of in the stat system, only to re-introduce the same problem in Deadfire!

So well done. I think I will try this mod out for my next playthrough.

edit: also really love what you've done with the inspirations! Many of them felt very weak, especially some of the T2 and T3 ones which were often kind of hard to come by in the first place! 

edit2: May I suggest buffing Crowns for the Faithful to be T2 inspirations as another mod. It was very overpowered in PoE1, arguably, but is laughably weak in Deadfire - a mere T1 inspiration for resolve/perception/int - one of which is negated by a lower level and popular buff (Dire blessing), the other easily replicated by the level 2 Holy Meditation buff - all of these with bigger AOEs!

Edited by merkmerk73, 11 February 2019 - 01:08 PM.

• Phenomenum and Ophiuchus like this

Phenomenum

Phenomenum

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 588 posts
Thank you for the kind words)

Rooksx

Rooksx

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 60 posts
I was initially using the under/overpen scaling version of this mod. Sidebar - I don’t care if it’s realistic or not, it makes sense within the mechanics of the game that you get a bonus for over-pen. Anyway, that version makes overall damage increase. This seemed fine for a while, but I started to get concerned that Maia (as a Scout dual-wielding mortars) was OP due to the damage increase. She was by far the biggest damage dealer in my party, approaching twice the damage of my Watcher Arcane Knight (albeit a Kind Wayfarer).

So I transitioned to this version and am really liking it. Maia is still effective, but not overwhelmingly so. I think the +50% Crit damage is really important because it’s frequently the case that crits happen without the Pen doubling AR. With the standard +25% Crit, I suspect overall damage would be too low to overcome multiple sources of healing.

Those experiences also illustrate why changes to mechanics don’t equally affect the player and the computer. Enemy mobs aren’t dual-wielding mortars (such a reliable source of AoE damage, which is more important than single target damage), and don’t use healing as effectively as the player. Generally, the player can be expected to make better use of resources and the mechanics than mobs.

Phenomenum

Phenomenum

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 588 posts

@Rooksx

Thank you for such a kind and detailed response. I hope, i fixed at least a few problems of original system.

As for this:

Those experiences also illustrate why changes to mechanics don’t equally affect the player and the computer. Enemy mobs aren’t dual-wielding mortars (such a reliable source of AoE damage, which is more important than single target damage), and don’t use healing as effectively as the player. Generally, the player can be expected to make better use of resources and the mechanics than mobs.

I tottaly agreed with you. Unfortunally, we won't be seeing a true self-learning neuron network AI in games at lest for nearest decade. :)

Edited by Phenomenum, 27 February 2019 - 05:55 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users