BUG 4.1 Bellowers PL buff-duration does nothing

Frak

Question

You overlooked this in you recent reply-run and this bug is annoying.

The bug is this:

"Why does it matter that the Bellower's +PL buff has a duration?" It does nothing. It has no use. Like building house in wet cardboard, it makes no sense.

Can we at the least get a clarification on what is supposed to do? Or a fix of some kind?

Moe detailed description here:

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/107340-400-whats-the-point-of-the-bellowing-duration/

Nerf Troubadour!

9 answers to this question

It's most likely so that a buff that is supposed to only affect that one invocation needsto have a duration and can't be implemented differently (with reasonable effort).

It is supposed to start when you start casting and not only to end once your invocation goes off (it needs a duration for that already) but also that PL bonus should to last as long as the effect of the invocation lasts (should it still get affected by Chanter's Power Level). I don't know if there is such an Invocation (think about stuff like Chillfog or Moonwell which will immediately get affected once PL changes during their duration - Lifegivers know what I'm taking about) - most likely not - but that seems to be the idea. Imagine you

So - thas bonus needs a duration in general. Ok, it could get canceled once your Invocation effect is finished. And it gets overriden by a new one.

But on the other hand it doesn't harm you, your Bellower or anything. So I think this one is waaay down below on the priority list if it needs a fix at all. Imagine they alter a healing effect from instant to healing over time. Then it would be great that the PL boost has a duration.

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

I kinda know it's low priority and I don't mind that it doesn't do anything. Unless it was intended to do something.

But I would love a clarification. Currently it's bugging me more than a mosquito in the bedroom at 3AM.

Nerf Troubadour!

It's most likely so that a buff that is supposed to only affect that one invocation needsto have a duration and can't be implemented differently (with reasonable effort).

It is supposed to start when you start casting and not only to end once your invocation goes off (it needs a duration for that already) but also that PL bonus should to last as long as the effect of the invocation lasts (should it still get affected by Chanter's Power Level). I don't know if there is such an Invocation (think about stuff like Chillfog or Moonwell which will immediately get affected once PL changes during their duration - Lifegivers know what I'm taking about) - most likely not - but that seems to be the idea. Imagine you

So - thas bonus needs a duration in general. Ok, it could get canceled once your Invocation effect is finished. And it gets overriden by a new one.

But on the other hand it doesn't harm you, your Bellower or anything. So I think this one is waaay down below on the priority list if it needs a fix at all. Imagine they alter a healing effect from instant to healing over time. Then it would be great that the PL boost has a duration.

I kinda know it's low priority and I don't mind that it doesn't do anything. Unless it was intended to do something.

But I would love a clarification. Currently it's bugging me more than a mosquito in the bedroom at 3AM.

If it really is just an implementation detail to get the bonus PL to the active invocation, then the subclass description should be adjusted so that it doesn't mention that the PL bonus lasts for a while, because that strongly implies it's something you can use with something else or is mechanically relevant somehow. I agree with Frak that without that clarification, it itches my brain a bit like a splinter, like the designers wanted it to do something but they messed it up.

Edited by thelee
  • Like 1

I finally know why the buff has a duration: cast Eld Nary's Curse and you know why. This invocation takes some time to apply all its jumps and often the Bellower's bonus expires before all jumps take place. If it didn't have any duration I doubt that even the first hit would have any bonus.

• Like 3

I finally know why the buff has a duration: cast Eld Nary's Curse and you know why. This invocation takes some time to apply all its jumps and often the Bellower's bonus expires before all jumps take place. If it didn't have any duration I doubt that even the first hit would have any bonus.

the invocation adjusts dynamically after it's been used? does that mean the # of jumps can actually be less than what you're promised, or is that locked-in upon invocation?

Number of jumps: didn't test that. But the dmg drops off steeply once the buff expires. So I suspect it works the same as pulsing spells like Chillfog where every hit roll is based on your actual stats and not the ones at cast time. Same as Healing spells that pulse as well (Consecrated Ground etc.).

• Like 1

That's a fair call. When I wrote the bug report I haden't levelled enough to use Eld Nary (damn restartitis), but now I see your point. A rephrasing of the ability text might help. Or maybe not.

Nerf Troubadour!

the invocation adjusts dynamically after it's been used? does that mean the # of jumps can actually be less than what you're promised, or is that locked-in upon invocation?

Without testing, I assume that on-hit-values, like damage and penetration might change. But I would expect the number of jumps to be decided upon invocation. 

Nerf Troubadour!