Hi,

I am jut starting the game and considering how many times I have restarted already... I decided I need help. I will try to limit my questions only to what cannot be retrained later.

I found PoE1 chanters a little bit boring, but now that a) there is multiclassing and b) chanters are awesome, I decided to recreate a kind of Bard I used to play in D&D-based cRPGs. These used to be rather squishy, but extremely versatile and with access to Wizard defensive and meele-enhancing spells on top of double wielding they could be extremely competent fighters.

I think a Harbinger captures the essence of this better than a Warcaller so I'm trying to roll with that. What I'm having a problem with is deciding on the right subclasses as to be able to start the game without fear of wanting to restart again in a week. I am not willing to min/max and I would like to minimize the dependence on summons (but get some just in case) with the focus being double-wielding damage dealing and crowd control. I am going to play on Veteran with Expert mode.

On the Rogue side

1. Subclass: I think I'm pretty set on Trickster for RP reasons as well as access to defensive spells. None of the other subclasses strike me as particularly appealing although vanilla is an option. Any recommendations?
  2. First abilities: is there an obvious reason to pick Crippling Strike over Escape or vice versa? I'm asking because these are the things that cannot be retrained.

On the Chanter side

1. Subclass: I cannot decide between Skald and Troubadour. On one hand, some non-offensive invocations look amazing and that makes Skald less appealing. But if I farm enough crits, the Skald downside should not be a problem and Troubadour's downside is even worse. On the other hand, with Troubadour's modal, his downside should also not be a problem. So what gives? Is either one clearly better than the other in terms of the Invocations they can use and their cost?
  2. Starting abilities: I'm pretty set on the shield breaking invocation, but what about phrases? Are the first-levels any useful?

Race & Culture: Aedyr Human

Starting Attributes:

• Mig: 13
  • Con: 8
  • Dex: 15
  • Per: 15 (probably needs to be higher than that for Skald?)
  • Int: 16 edit: actually it's 15
  • Res: 12

Sorry if the question is way over-analyzed for what it is but the amount of possibilities in this game does not make it easy! Especially with the fact that the subclass affects quite a lot but cannot be re-trained.

Cheers!

Edited by mk6ve

Rogue 1: Trickster's added utility is leagues better than the paltry 10% difference to Sneak Attack: you get free sparkcrackers versus hostile groups, superb defensive spells, and some crowd control and extra afflictions on top.
Rogue 2: Both of these abilities retain their value throughout the game. Escape is great as a mobility tool and short-lasting defensive buff (though it won't stack with others); Crippling Strike offers +2 PEN and added damage for just 1 Guile (skip its upgrades, though).

Chanter 1: I'll leave this one to the Chanter masters since I'm also relatively new to the class. I couldn't see either one being a bad decision but to me, Skald feels a bit better thematically.
Chanter 2: Hel-Hyraf is a solid ability from start to finish. Soft Winds of Death is probably the best starting chant since it helps you survive early on and isn't conditional like the others.

I'd shave a couple attribute points off Resolve since your Illusion buffs and INT will fill those defenses.

Edited by Ophiuchus

If you're playing on Path of the Damned (PotD), then I would recommend the Troubadour for the Chanter subclass, as crits will be rare.

Generally speaking, you will be as fast as a Skald at delivering low-level offensive invocations EXCEPT for when the Skald gets a crit that happens to regenerate a phrase. In addition, you'll be faster at delivering non-offensive invocations like summons and the Healing invocation with the Burning upgrade.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you both!

I've abandoned this build a bit as I had more fun with my other Cipher/Ghost Heart character, but I want to develop this more and see how it fares at least until the end of the noob island.

I'm liking the Trickster part, but I am not so sure about the Chanter subclass in the end - I simply do not seem to be critting that often!

I'd shave a couple attribute points off Resolve since your Illusion buffs and INT will fill those defenses.

Right on, I'll drop it to 10 and bump PER.

If you're playing on Path of the Damned (PotD), then I would recommend the Troubadour for the Chanter subclass, as crits will be rare.

Generally speaking, you will be as fast as a Skald at delivering low-level offensive invocations EXCEPT for when the Skald gets a crit that happens to regenerate a phrase. In addition, you'll be faster at delivering non-offensive invocations like summons and the Healing invocation with the Burning upgrade.

I will consider this, but I don't see it on paper. Skald could be critting a fair amount with high accuracy and hit-to-crit conversion, his non-offensive invocations are just as expensive as the Troubadours and his offensive ones are way cheaper. In addition he does not lose linger for his phrases. On the other hand, the Troubadour does not need to make it his priority to crit as often as possible which does make things easier and more flexible.

Edited by mk6ve

Thank you both!

I've abandoned this build a bit as I had more fun with my other Cipher/Ghost Heart character, but I want to develop this more and see how it fares at least until the end of the noob island.

I'm liking the Trickster part, but I am not so sure about the Chanter subclass in the end - I simply do not seem to be critting that often!

Right on, I'll drop it to 10 and bump PER.

I will consider this, but I don't see it on paper. Skald could be critting a fair amount with high accuracy and hit-to-crit conversion, his non-offensive invocations are just as expensive as the Troubadours and his offensive ones are way cheaper. In addition he does not lose linger for his phrases. On the other hand, the Troubadour does not need to make it his priority to crit as often as possible which does make things easier and more flexible.

What do you consider to be "a fair amount", I wonder, and how have you determined this? I'm curious as to your calculations.

If you are dead-set on Skald, you might consider the Streetfighter subclass of the rogue; cutting recovery in half is HUGE, and recovery limits how many attacks you can do. More attacks = more potential crits. Of course, Streetfighter doesn't really fit the Bard aesthetic.

I suppose you could look at the guide on the build list called "The Cunning Duelist", as it might fit exactly what you're looking for.

You might also look at the crossbow called the Scourge of Bezzello if you're willing to use a ranged weapon (won't generate phrases as Skald).

Hope this helps.