Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The All Things Movie Thread

• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

Malcador

Malcador

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7774 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Pft, consoles.
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Keyrock

Keyrock

Obsidian Order Rodent Tamer

• Members
  • 7457 posts
  • Steam:Keyrock
  • PSN Portable ID:Unfrozen_Keyrock
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer

I watched Five Elements Ninjas last night. I've seen this movie before, as old skool kung fu is my favorite movie genre, bar none, so I've seen almost all these movies, multiple times in many cases. Five Elements Ninjas is one of Shaw Bros. ultimate masterpieces. The sheer level of absurdity in this 1982 gem is mind blowing. It's got it all: Ridiculous weapons and gadgets, super gory deaths, overly dramatic heroic deaths, an ill-fated and really creepy love subplot, and hilariously bad special effects. My only real criticism is that the training montage (generally my favorite part of kung fu movies, or any movie that includes them, for that matter) is relatively short.

• ShadySands likes this

Raithe

Raithe

Lurking Caped One of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3311 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

And now the release date for Dune has been set for November 2020. At least, the first movie covering half the book.

Raithe

Raithe

Lurking Caped One of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3311 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Watched last years Robin Hood.

It's a ... weird one.

Full of rather good actors working with a bizarre script. It's anachronistic, I see how they're trying to do a whole.. stylistic approach to make it "different" but it really does seem to borrow a lot from DC's Arrow (and I know, the Green Arrow was inspired by Robin Hood so it's very circular).  But they have oddly steampunk aspects, guards carrying repeating crossbows that are treated like assault rifles, the opening sequence of the crusades has the Sherrif sending "draft notices" to the minor lords, and has them acting like a modern day marine unit in Iraq dealing with urban warfare and sending up signal flares for "stones" aka, catapaults acting as artillery support.

Jamie Foxx doing the "wise mentor Moor" role they swiped from Prince of Thieves, throwing in a dose of montage ninja training, add a dose of pyrotechnic explosions, a mixture of policitcal correct issues, callbacks to current political elements (Trump style speeches from the Sherrif), a Nottingham medieval city designed to look like the Favelas of Brazil, and some silly drama and soap opera love triangles.

SonicMage117

SonicMage117

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3200 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Alita: Battle Angel

I can honestly say it's the best adaptation of any medium that has so attempted an an adaptation in the first place. It's probably one of the better cyberpunk movies out there, glad I wasted money on it and happy to see the negative nancy's were wrong :)

"10/10" from SM117
"Finally a proper Cyberpunk movie" -JustSonicThings
"The haters once again prove themselves wrong" Sonic Says

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users