The All Things Movie Thread

Amentep

I think for me there's a certain point that if a movie makes me question the things it does enough times then I start being a lot more critical of everything else that I may have normally given a pass to. Obviously, this works the other way as well. 

Edited by ShadySands
  • Like 4

Free games updated 3/4/21

TLJ was boring aside from the Rey parts. And the other ones have fairly nonsensical bits. Regardless of whatever they did before, end product wasn't that great.

Apparently Abrams consulted with Lucas on this, interesting

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I'll stop commenting on TLJ because I don't want to give the impression that I care about this more than I actually do. I

Oh nobody thinks that. We're just talking here.

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

The actual worst thing about TLJ, was the absolutely **** CGI rocks that Rey lifted as her crowning achievement at the end of the movie. For all that budget, that was just trash. Like... it was The Desolation of Smaug's gold pudding river all over again.

I don't like time travel (which is of course what the Star Trek show is featuring this season).

I'll stop commenting on TLJ because I don't want to give the impression that I care about this more than I actually do. I'm more of a Star Trek fan and we only have a couple good-ish movies anyway.

weird concept which worked.  is classic film noir, but set in high school. 

is an understatement to say am disliking time travel, and am not a huge fan o' star wars (as already stated) or most of the star trek movies (but even the bad star trek series has had at least a few fantastic episodes,) nevertheless, we liked old and grumpy last jedi luke who had to live with failure even though much o' the galaxy wanted him to be a hero.  got all kinda criticisms o' the recent star wars films, and episodes 1-6, but while luke were perhaps our least favorite main character from 3-6, he were possible our favorite from the new trilogy. also liked paige tico.

regardless, we would give brick a chance.  had a budget less than 1/2 million, so do not expect aaa production values. stripped down to essentials. is also bordering on camp at times given the setting and characters, but it played the noir elements straight and had unexpected weight. that said, am a sucker for noir done well. 

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I'll give Brick a shot and will see if I can do Looper and will report back. It may not be until next week as I don't think my wife will want to watch but I'll see. Though I do wonder if those movies also have some of the same kinds of problems but hit the right beats and that makes them more enjoyable. I dunno, we'll see. I promise to try to keep an open mind.

Thanks

Edited by ShadySands

Free games updated 3/4/21

Looper was pretty good. I don't think I was quite as enamored of it as some, but it's not like Star Trek save the whales type time travel or anything.

I watched The Great Battle yesterday. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6931414/

Do not expect historical accuracy or intelligence, this is primarily an action movie with several long battle sequences. Actual dialogue is very limited/brief, with "story" moments that feel more like a few seconds of character snapshots here and there, so if you dislike reading subtitles, there aren't that many to read. Seriously.  :p It also injects a bit of light humor here and there.

If you like sword, spear, arrows, storming-the-castle and violent action, this is pretty decent for that. Kind of like a cross between Braveheart and the big combats in LotR in that sense. Occasionally the CGI help sticks out but considering it was made for I think 20 million, it's fun. Could have been 15 minutes shorter however.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

The actual worst thing about TLJ, was the absolutely **** CGI rocks that Rey lifted as her crowning achievement at the end of the movie. For all that budget, that was just trash. Like... it was The Desolation of Smaug's gold pudding river all over again.

It was at least better than the rocks in ST:OS.  :lol:

Where Nimoy valiantly makes the effort to try and appear to be pinned down.

https://youtu.be/PyN_6BeJ8KA?t=186

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

It was at least better than the rocks in ST:OS.  :lol:

Where Nimoy valiantly makes the effort to try and appear to be pinned down.

https://youtu.be/PyN_6BeJ8KA?t=186

well, for perspective, the first handheld calculator were invented in 1967, but this

660600_00_OMM.jpg

is what you could get in 1966 for 'bout $1000... which is ~$8000 in 2019 dollars. special effects, which tends to have become tech heavy, has come a long way in 53 years.

much o' star trek special effects were using stuff which had been around since 1902, and am understanding the models and sets were pretty expensive to create.

check out 7:39 for early transporter magic.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

...hehehe...that Moon pic always reminds me o' Eye In The Sky by the Alan Parsons Project... :ninja:

...WHO LUVS YA, BABY!!...

A long, long time ago, but I can still remember,
How the Trolling used to make me smile.
And I knew if I had my chance, I could egg on a few Trolls to "dance",
And maybe we'd be happy for a while.
But then Krackhead left and so did Klown;
Volo and Turnip were banned, Mystake got run out o' town.
Bad news on the Front Page,
BIOweenia said goodbye in a heated rage.
I can't remember if I cried
When I heard that TORN was recently fried,
But sadness touched me deep inside,
The day...Black Isle died.

For tarna, Visc, an' the rest o' the ol' Islanders that fell along the way

The Meg

Fun monster movie.

...gotta admit, went inta this not expectin' much aside from bad actin' an' crappy CGI...was most fun I's had watchin' a shark movie in a looooong time...an' Statham didna ruin it by overactin'...hope theys actually does a sequel...

...WHO LUVS YA, BABY!!...

A long, long time ago, but I can still remember,
How the Trolling used to make me smile.
And I knew if I had my chance, I could egg on a few Trolls to "dance",
And maybe we'd be happy for a while.
But then Krackhead left and so did Klown;
Volo and Turnip were banned, Mystake got run out o' town.
Bad news on the Front Page,
BIOweenia said goodbye in a heated rage.
I can't remember if I cried
When I heard that TORN was recently fried,
But sadness touched me deep inside,
The day...Black Isle died.

For tarna, Visc, an' the rest o' the ol' Islanders that fell along the way

Haven't they shown that lightsabes can block a small crafts laser anyhow?

My guess is the ships damaged though (or Kylo isn't trying to kill her).

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

On more positive news, a new film by Hungarian master Béla Tarr will be released this summer. One of the finest filmmakers still living, and this would be his first since he announced an early "retirement" back in 2011, following The Turin Horse.

https://thefilmstage.com/news/bela-tarr-to-premiere-new-film-missing-people-this-summer-in-vienna/

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

Oh it is funny, I laughed.  And then I thought about it some (my bad).

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man