The All Things Movie Thread

Amentep

Hi to all!
I’m a big fan of horror movies because they are mysterious, creepy, and thoughtful.
Top 3 from me, all of them released in 2018:
1. Venom

2. The Predator

3. Halloween

Kindly post your favorites :)

...meh; thought Venom was kinda jus' that...meh...an' The Predator was horrid; bad writin', bad editin', bad actin', jus' bad...now havna seen the new Halloween yet, but been lookin' forward ta Mikey Myers bein' involved in a half decent movie fer some time now...prayin' it lives up ta the hype...

...WHO LUVS YA, BABY!!...

A long, long time ago, but I can still remember,
How the Trolling used to make me smile.
And I knew if I had my chance, I could egg on a few Trolls to "dance",
And maybe we'd be happy for a while.
But then Krackhead left and so did Klown;
Volo and Turnip were banned, Mystake got run out o' town.
Bad news on the Front Page,
BIOweenia said goodbye in a heated rage.
I can't remember if I cried
When I heard that TORN was recently fried,
But sadness touched me deep inside,
The day...Black Isle died.

For tarna, Visc, an' the rest o' the ol' Islanders that fell along the way

In a way I can only admire them for ****ing this **** up so hard.

I wonder what they will do this time to "subvert expectations"? Maybe Jar Jar Binks is Palpatine? Or the Skywalker to rise is actually one of Luke's pets in that island, the creatures I don't even remember the name. :p

Hayden Christensen stars...

...WHO LUVS YA, BABY!!...

A long, long time ago, but I can still remember,
How the Trolling used to make me smile.
And I knew if I had my chance, I could egg on a few Trolls to "dance",
And maybe we'd be happy for a while.
But then Krackhead left and so did Klown;
Volo and Turnip were banned, Mystake got run out o' town.
Bad news on the Front Page,
BIOweenia said goodbye in a heated rage.
I can't remember if I cried
When I heard that TORN was recently fried,
But sadness touched me deep inside,
The day...Black Isle died.

For tarna, Visc, an' the rest o' the ol' Islanders that fell along the way

You know, I sort of like the actress playing Rey. She has a great stoic/determined expression. But that alone doesn't make a movie and yeah, that trailer is a snooze. I don't even find it bad-it's-funny, just uninspiring and static.

Is it wrong that I'd sorta like to see Rey and Kylo Ren get together, discover there's a middle-ground to be had, make lots of little Grey-Side babies and rule the universe? :teehee:  *runs away*

It's a teaser trailer.

I thought Rey and Kylo could have changed the paradigm of the force, but after what Kylo became in TLJ I think that story is permanently closed. Killing your father because you were seduced by the dark side is one-thing. Especially when it was set before you as your first true step to cross-over and could have been a point of coming to one's sense in deep regret. Instead he went on an intentional killing spree and already burned Rey despite her extending a second chance.

Now that Finn has Rose. It's gunna be Po and Rey if anything is pulled at all. Or maybe he's actually her brother :p

Oh, right, forgot Rose exists.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Just the opposite: the only thing (new) Star Wars is good for is laughing. Palpatine implausibly coming back could very well be a return to the golden age of Star Wars comedy (aka the prequels), and I'm all for it as someone that couldn't muster up any desire at all to watch The Last Jedi. Honestly, though, I'm not sure that anyone can really quite replicate George Lucas' knack for unintentionally and hilariously bad writing (that sort of thing can be hard to replicate without it coming across as intentionally bad which just isn't the same after all), but I remain an optimist. Bringing back Ian McDiarmid, who is always a great performer even if and perhaps especially when nothing his character is doing makes a lick of sense, is surely a good start, though. If that's a troll by the director, I'll be pretty sad.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Bringing back Ian McDiarmid, who is always a great performer even if and perhaps especially when nothing his character is doing makes a lick of sense, is surely a good start, though. If that's a troll by the director, I'll be pretty sad.

That! That is how they are going to subvert expectations this time. No Palpatine at all in the whole movie. There is precedence with the fake Avengers: Infinity War trailers. lol

• Like 1

sign.jpg

The Star Wars movie makes me think it will be a lot of fun to watch, but a lot of people will be upset because they take their space fantasy too seriously.  :p

I'm not taking it serious at all, because I'm not something you can call a Star Wars fan, like, at all. Yet the new movies upset me, because of how mind boggling stupid they are made. At this point I'm not sure if they aren't just trolling everyone with what they do.

• Like 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

The Star Wars movie makes me think it will be a lot of fun to watch, but a lot of people will be upset because they take their space fantasy too seriously.  :p

You mean like when I thought it's ridiculous that - presumably Kylo Ren - speeds towards a lone Jedi in his TIE on the ground level so that Rey can wire-fu over it and slice it up neatly?

To quote Luke: If you're not going to take this seriously, I'm out.

;)

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

There is always going to be a lot of garbage vitriolic backlash.

Certain fan backlash was justified for the years of established canon that was usurped just to make an auteur statement. Notably Luke's character and the nature of the force. Fans aren't wrong for being against those changes. Not to say change is wrong, but it's not objectively right and framing those who support the previous authors as the villainous fans is just pathetic. Johnson making his auteur changes would have been less of a problem had that statement not been rife with narrative and framing issues. It would have been less of a problem if he at least respected the established lore and plot of this new trilogy to compound upon it's salience. He washed away almost all of the most gripping aspects of the first movie. Now maybe JJ brings some back, because the control is back in his hands. But plot wise TLJ didn't really advance our understanding of this new era. Rey is trained up, and Kylo is definitely the baddie. Phasma and Snoke both squandered. Po, Finn, and Rey all underutilized despite being the main cast. That's really about it. All the other interesting aspects were retconned or shelved.

• Like 1

You know I found Luke's story in The Last Jedi to be the best and most compelling part of the new trilogy. I've liked all the movies so far.Finn & Rey are both likable. The Force Awakens was a good (if unoriginal) story. The Last Jedi I like better. Both have some obvious plot holes, canon violations, and at times some lazy writing (Vegas meets star wars? Really?) But taking a look at Luke's arc, I like that the best of all. Most of us on this board are in out 30's & 40's now. We met Luke Skywalker as kids. He was the hero we all wanted to be. The young, virtuous warrior who would right the wrongs and save the galaxy. Just like we might have imagined we could do growing up.

Now we revisit our childhood hero having lived the better part of his life, just as we have. The Luke we find today is a bitter and disillusioned man. A man who has realized everything he once believed in and held dear was BS. A man who dedicated his life fighting for something only to realize his efforts were mostly futile. He has realized the galaxy he thought he could save cannot BE saved. And probably does not deserve to be. Can any of you guys really tell me that isn't just a teeny bit relateable? Can any one of you, man or woman, look in the mirror and say you've grown into exactly the person you thought you would become? The one you wanted to be? Luke's story is all or our stories. That's why it was brilliant IMO. 

• Like 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

That's really about it. All the other interesting aspects were retconned or shelved.

Indeed. Where are our Knights of Ren? Those bad boys could have been the next Boba Fetts!

I wouldn't even care so much about the lore if it was a good story, but...it wasn't. It was lousy. Now, instead of repeating comments millions of other fanboys have already made, I will leave you with this:

Vader Episode 1: Shards of the Past (a fan made film that's better than what Disney made)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ey68aMOV9gc

And...

The Plinkett review (because that guy always cracks me up)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f83D18xL7VE

I think I'm gonna sit the next movie out unless it gets great reviews.

Edited by Heijoushin

You know I found Luke's story in The Last Jedi to be the best and most compelling part of the new trilogy. 

agreed... with the possible exception o' the "got milk" bit.

is this stoic rey?  regardless. w/o belaboring, we liked the luke stuff more than other new star wars trilogy fare.  

there is serious plot holes lingering, but seeing how jj abrams left star wars looking like swiss cheese after force awakens, filling holes woulda' been a full-time job for any subsequent director who were dedicated to correcting such shortfalls.  we expected there to be legacy holes and a few new problems with last jedi. with abrams back for ix, any hope for a coherent resolution with major plot holes all filled were utter dashed. abrams don't care if a story makes sense as long as is evocative and compelling in the moment.

also, while am not a genuine star wars sooperfan, is our understanding the original lucas concept for the emperor were relegating him to figurehead status with the military-industrial complex being the true great evuhl.  perhaps rian johnson super geeked and attempted to reintroduce an aspect o' a discarded lucas concept?  is an explanation for the weird vegas tangent.  

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I think a more competent writer/director maybe could have pulled Luke's TLJ arc but to me it was far too inconsistent with the Luke we knew before that wouldn't give up on his sand hating, youngling slaying father who he watched kill his mentor and who mutilated him. To me it felt too forced and not believable. Too drastic of a change of a well established character

So basically, I thought it was poorly done and I didn't like it. :p

Edited by ShadySands
  • Like 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

The Luke in TLJ was what? 30 years older than TRotJ? Hell I'm not the same person I was even 10 years ago. 30 years ago I was 18 and really believed in things that the me of today finds laughable. Of all of our personality traits our cynicism is the hardest won. Don't begrudge Luke that. 

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I think a more competent writer/director maybe could have pulled Luke's TLJ arc but to me it was far too inconsistent with the Luke we knew before that wouldn't give up on his sand hating, youngling slaying father who he watched kill his mentor. To me it felt too forced and not believeable. Too drastic of a change of a well established character

So basically, I thought it was poorly done and I didn't like it. :p

the moment o' indecision by luke didn't throw us off much, given luke's character.

realizing snoke had already turned ben and that goal were to destroy everything luke were protecting?  firing up the lightsabre were a bit dramatic, but am getting why were needed visual.  were an instant o' doubt, which is described as passing as quickly as it happened, but how to show visual and how to make ben's fear real?  an anime star wars would be simple as killing intent is as recognizable and tangible as a greasy oil slick floating on the surface o' clean water, but we had a western movie where things need be a bit more plausible. have ben wake and sense luke's lingering doubt and anger woulda' worked in a book, but a movie? luke knows how complete corrupted were ben by snoke, and seeing the likely futures kylo would bring 'bout... by staring at the back o' ben' sleeping head and squinting a bit? we get your concern.  seeming first reaction to admitted surprised recognition o' ben's corruption were a summary execution by lightsabre.  

'course when luke disarms rey when she confronts him 'bout the truth o' the fateful night, rey grabs a lightsabre and threatens luke with it. a whole lotta impulsive dark stuff from folks s'posed dedicated to the the over-simple light side o' the force... which is why we sympathize with kotor2 kreia.

but yeah, they coulda'/shoulda' shown the moment luke fails ben a different way. 

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Those other scenes are also part of my problem with everything as all of those developments are in the same movie by the same writer/director. I see it as a poor choice for a middle chapter, especially if it's true that JJ really had no answers for all the stuff he set up in the first movie, but maybe I could enjoy a movie where he didn't need to finagle a way out of the confines of the previous movie to try to tell the story he wants to tell. Not to be totally negative, I liked the visuals and the actors.

I think a more competent writer/director

It's hilarious to me that Rian Johnson was hailed as a genius before TLJ but now he gets this.

Sorry, this came in just as I hit post. I'm not familiar with any of his work other than TLJ so I'm basing that off this one movie.

But of course, that's just like, my opinion, man

Edited by ShadySands

I don't like time travel (which is of course what the Star Trek show is featuring this season).

I'll stop commenting on TLJ because I don't want to give the impression that I care about this more than I actually do. I'm more of a Star Trek fan and we only have a couple good-ish movies anyway.

Edited by ShadySands

I still don't get it, I thoroughly enjoyed both TFA and TLJ. It's probably because I was never a hardcore Star Wars fan. The original is fine but has a climax that feels tacked on, Empire Strikes back is a mess in terms of pacing and time continuity and Return is a dumpster fire.

It's probably also why I hated Rogue One, because those ten minutes of fanservice at the end doesn't make up for the total snoozefest that precedes it for me when it does for hardcore fans.