The All Things Movie Thread

Amentep

There certainly is an element of "this isn't as visually interesting as a Del Toro film" aspect to the reviews I've read (and a David Harbour isn't Ron Perlman bit as well) in the professional reviews.  Makes it a bit difficult to suss what I'll think which doesn't happen that often.

To add to that the trailers themselves have been a mixed bag as well, so I'm getting a lot of confused signals on this one.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I finally got around to watching The Bird Box on NetFlix. It was OK. The book was better and the book was just OK. One thing that struck me as funny. I wonder if Trevante Rhodes knows the part he played in the movie was filled by a dog in the book?

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Inside ‘Hellboy’ Reboot’s Fiery Shoot: Fights Over David Harbour, Cinematography and a Tree 

One insider described a prolonged dispute over a surreal tree that figures prominently in the film. Marshall wanted a realistic-looking, asymmetrical tree. But the insider said Levin overruled him, insisting on a symmetrical tree. Then, in postproduction, the tree became asymmetrical again. Singer disputed any suggestion that Levin “somehow mucked it up in a back-and-forth tug-of-war over symmetry versus asymmetry,” adding: “The design of the tree, like hundreds of other design elements in the movie, went through an exhaustive design and evolution process.”

Edited by misterjimmy

The tone of the trailer turned me off on this remake.  I don't expect much of it. I like Harbour in Stranger Things but his take is ridiculous and not in a good way.

• Like 2

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

So Palpatine is alive ? Actually never mind, probably too obvious bait.  

Big meh.

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

So Palpatine is alive ? Actually never mind, probably too obvious bait.  

Big meh.

Meh is about the only thing I got from the teaser. And why is the subtitle The Rise of Skywalker when ever critic on the planet lauded the break with the Skywalker saga back in The Last Jedi, finally freeing Star Wars from the chokehold of Vader and his family?

Also really creative. Back at some desert planet (but it's probably Jakku, not Tattooine, nyeh nyeh nyeh, like haha it's salt not snow) riding on a barge like craft, a semi destroyed Death Star shell and a surprisingly... bulky Billy Dee Williams flying the Falcon with Chewie.

I guess Rich Evans was right when he said Star Wars is creatively bankrupt. There's no way to make a film in that universe that's going to be anything else than ridiculous pandering or a weird cinematic failure.

• Like 2

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

I'm hoping Mike, Jay and Rich are already working on a new The Nerd Crew episode. That way we'd get some quality entertainment out of the teaser. :p

edit:

For those that don't know. Here's the Solo teaser anylsis.

Edited by majestic
  • Like 3

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

It's been a long time since I saw a Star Wars trailer I felt absolutely nothing for. Heck, that title sounds like the movie's targeted at my complaints.

But hah. Here we are.

• Like 1
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I laughed pretty hard on a second viewing of the trailer. When Rey does the back flip I heard Fat Bastard's voice saying "I hope my wire-fighting team is ready!"

Thought now I guess the main takeaway is that I hear voices.

• Like 3

Free games updated 3/4/21

You know, I sort of like the actress playing Rey. She has a great stoic/determined expression. But that alone doesn't make a movie and yeah, that trailer is a snooze. I don't even find it bad-it's-funny, just uninspiring and static.

Is it wrong that I'd sorta like to see Rey and Kylo Ren get together, discover there's a middle-ground to be had, make lots of little Grey-Side babies and rule the universe? :teehee:  *runs away*

• Like 2
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I'm hoping Mike, Jay and Rich are already working on a new The Nerd Crew episode. That way we'd get some quality entertainment out of the teaser. :p

edit:

For those that don't know. Here's the Solo teaser anylsis.

I've already seen jokes on the main reddit thread for the teaser about "woodoo hide" and "Emperor Palpatine Surgical Reconstruction Center" and "Palpatine's behind it all!".

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

You know, I sort of like the actress playing Rey. She has a great stoic/determined expression. But that alone doesn't make a movie and yeah, that trailer is a snooze. I don't even find it bad-it's-funny, just uninspiring and static.

Is it wrong that I'd sorta like to see Rey and Kylo Ren get together, discover there's a middle-ground to be had, make lots of little Grey-Side babies and rule the universe? :teehee:  *runs away*

we like daisy in spite o' our self, but not 'cause she is stoic. opposite. every emotion she has plays out complete uncensored on her face.  sure, she can do determined, but she just as soon does complete surprised or the puppy-dog sad eyes or whatever else is demanded. is little subtle 'bout a daisy performance and we suspect she studied at the calculon school o' drama.

am not sure how she does it, but she pulls it off.  somehow stays sweet and genuine and kinda naïve, while trying to cut people in half with a magic sword made o' moonbeams and fairy dust... or whatever lighsabres is s'posed made of these days. 

am knowing we mentioned elsewhere, but surprised us how much we liked adam driver, 'cause we never saw the hbo show and we didn't like the kylo character much... at all. nevertheless, we like everything adam driver but kylo, and while am knowing the ren and kylo relationship is pivotal to the new trilogy, am clear not the target audience for what they is selling.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)