The All Things Movie Thread

Amentep

I dislike how trailers are made in general, I think I'm partially trying to see through that format to what the film might be.

It does sort of sell the think as a dark musical by the end. I'll agree that's kind of weird. But I think the trailer was trying to convey a depressed person being liberated by some deluded manic state. Whether that works when conveying a films tone or not for a trailer? Guess it depends on who you ask. I have no reason to write of this film just yet,

Unfortunately this film is made by the director of Borat and the Hangover trilogy so I can't say that it will be anything good. One can only hope

He actually left the Borat film, and only has a writer credit on it.  Credited director for Borat! is Larry Charles (Masked and Anonnymous, Bruno)

Phillips also did the well received documentary Hated: GG Allin and the Murder Junkies, the loosely based on real events film War Dogs, the generally reviled Project X movie and the Starsky and Hutch film.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Wait, people dislike the first Hangover? That's super sad. 

Although I'd give the writers and actors a fair amount of credit over the director.

Anyone who dislikes that movie has never had a night to total drunken debauchery they don't completely remember!

Of course the sequels, as sequels do, sucked.

• Like 4

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I don't really consider The Hangover a trilogy, either. The first one is totally self contained and wraps up every story thread by the end. The second one is really just a repeat in a new locale, and even abandons certain storylines from the first that were important (Heather Graham and the baby!) It doesn't work as well because it feels like it has been done before, but again it is self contained. It could almost have a different cast and still be the same movie.

The 3rd totally loses sight of the fact it is a comedy, and becomes a weird anti-Vegas experience (when the first was more of a celebration.) It's a bit more of a sequel in terms of continuing storylines from the first, but they were all unnecessary. So yeah, I ignore it and just enjoy the original. :p

The 3rd totally loses sight of the fact it is a comedy

Considering I found all three boring slogs and didn't have a laugh or a chuckle I can't say it ever had that in sight. Never before has a night out been so dull with obvious jokes and has-been cameos. I honestly prefer actual hangovers to these movies.
  • Like 3

That's sad. I couldn't breath the first time I saw the scene when they wake up in the hotel room. I still have trouble getting through it without cry laughing.

Honestly it is second only to The IT Crowd Season 2 Episode 1 for me in terms of debilitating laughter.

• Like 1

I think the sequels killed my enjoyment of the first one. It's been so long. You guys are going to make me look and see where it's streaming.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I honestly prefer actual hangovers to these movies.

:lol:

Now THAT is funny!

Edited by Guard Dog

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Wild Target

A low key English film from 2010. Bill Nighy as an aging, solitary master assassin growing tired with the life and wanting to retire, only to be hired to kill Emily Blunt's thief. He ends up falling for her, and helping her out, in the process being confused as a private detective, and picking up Rupert Grint as a hapless apprentice. The unhappy client then bring in Martin Freeman's much less reliable hitman to tidy up the mess, and chaos ensues.

It's very much reliant on situational comedy and some British understatement, so it does have that callback to the classic Ealing Studio movies.

• Like 2

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Watched Death Wish with Bruce Willis. I never saw the Bronson versions, so I'm not sure how much of it fit the mold, but it seemed like a pretty standard revenge flick. Willis is fun to watch as always. Actually it was a pretty good cast held back by a pretty basic story. Death Sentence with Kevin Bacon was more my style.

Watched Death Wish with Bruce Willis. I never saw the Bronson versions, so I'm not sure how much of it fit the mold, but it seemed like a pretty standard revenge flick. Willis is fun to watch as always. Actually it was a pretty good cast held back by a pretty basic story. Death Sentence with Kevin Bacon was more my style.

Wait, what?

• Like 2

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.