The All Things Movie Thread

Amentep

were it really necessary to do zombie makeup for iggy pop?  didn't try to make bill murray look older after all. overkill?

Congrats, you found the joke

am assuming such will be the joke, but as we said, seems unnecessary to do makeup.  leave mr. pop as the one "zombie" without such is funny.  why add the makeup?

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

image and vid

am gonna quibble over designation o' "greatest cast o' zombies" appellation.

these guys have stranglehold on quintessential zombie casting.

that said, zombieland may be the only zombie movie we ever enjoyed, so resurrecting bill murray, as it were, and doing a humorous  zombie film with folks such as carol kane, steve buscemi and adam driver is gonna get our attention.

were it really necessary to do zombie makeup for iggy pop?  didn't try to make bill murray look older after all. overkill?

HA! Good Fun!

I figure the makeup was necessary for Iggy lest he resembled a mummy instead. :grin:

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

The Dead Don't Die trailer is awesome/hilarious, thanks for posting. I hope the movie lives up to it.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

The Dead Don't Die trailer is awesome/hilarious, thanks for posting. I hope the movie lives up to it.

adam driver is one o' our favorite current actors.  the thing is, before star wars, we hardly knew o' the guy, and we didn't particular like him in force awakens. thought he were fantastic in silence, logan lucky, blackkklansman, and were also good in midnight special and snl appearances. am remembering him from lincoln, but cast were overstuffed and he were hardly memorable. (aside: jared harris as grant were odd casting for us as harris kinda looks like gen. sherman irl) and were uninspired by the inside llewyn davis performance. never saw him in the hbo series. 

don't particular like kylo ren, but am kinda looking forward to anything not star wars which includes adam driver.  add carol kane, buscemi, and old bill murray, and am much anticipating. if rza does chessboxing in movie, then that also would be worth watching.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Silence brought out the best in many actors. I enjoyed his and Andrew Garfield's performances immensely.

He did really well as the lead role in Paterson too. It all started with Girls though, where I vaguely recall him to play the least annoying character.

56575892_2158742374175637_39141514308348

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I was still hopping from one to the other at that time.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

People losing their minds over the new Joker trailer, and I'm just sitting here being aware that Todd Phillips never made a movie I didn't despise.

I didn't despise Old School. That's about as much a compliment as I can give it. :lol:

I heard his GG Allin documentary's very good though.

Old School was the best of his, but it was... meh. The most entertainment value I found in that was noticing how it's essentially a soft parody of Fight Club.

I dislike the Hangover movies, and I absolutely despised Road Trip and especially Due Date.

Old School was the best of his, but it was... meh. The most entertainment value I found in that was noticing how it's essentially a soft parody of Fight Club.

I dislike the Hangover movies, and I absolutely despised Road Trip and especially Due Date.

Yeah, Road Trip and The Hangover were dire. Haven't seen Due Date but wouldn't expect it to be any different. Right now I get the feeling, thinking back on his films and some of his contemporaries, that he lacks that element to remove his style of comedy from the pedestrian, especially compared to the likes of McKay's flair for absurdity or the Farrellys' edge. This trailer does seem like quite the departure so I'll keep an open mind about it, but weirdly enough he's again seeming to turn the character into a more prosaic, ordinary psychopath than the more uncanny takes on the character by directors like Burton or Nolan. I guess we'll see.

I don't really see anything necessarily wrong with the Joker trailer.

Other than it might be uncomfortable to watch a truly disturbed person descend into something wholly irredeemable under the tone of bleak drama divorced of general comic book levity.

Other than it might be uncomfortable to watch a truly disturbed person descend into something wholly irredeemable under the tone of bleak drama divorced of general comic book levity.

I know, It would actually be better if it didn't have the comic book name attached to it.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Did Joaquin Phoenix lose tons of weight for the role or is that CGI. His face is absolutely gaunt. Looking up Todd Phillips the only thing I can say about his filmography is that I found the first Hangover somewhat amusing. Didn't watch/care to see the sequels.

Also, I watched The Highway Men (Netflix). Considering the two stars and topic matter, it's not all that interesting. Kevin and Woody do fine as always and bounce well off each other, but I found myself falling asleep in the middle. It's mostly a slow chr. study of Frank Hamer I suppose.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

The thing I'm not convinced by with regards to this is that the events as portrayed in the trailer at least make the drama look very broad and "kick the dog" levels of hamfisted, like presenting big daft superhero emotions with an ostensibly realist approach and having the latter shed light on just how far-fetched and artificial the former looks.

I dislike how trailers are made in general, I think I'm partially trying to see through that format to what the film might be.

It does sort of sell the think as a dark musical by the end. I'll agree that's kind of weird. But I think the trailer was trying to convey a depressed person being liberated by some deluded manic state. Whether that works when conveying a films tone or not for a trailer? Guess it depends on who you ask. I have no reason to write of this film just yet,

I dislike how trailers are made in general, I think I'm partially trying to see through that format to what the film might be.

It does sort of sell the think as a dark musical by the end. I'll agree that's kind of weird. But I think the trailer was trying to convey a depressed person being liberated by some deluded manic state. Whether that works when conveying a films tone or not for a trailer? Guess it depends on who you ask. I have no reason to write of this film just yet,

Unfortunately this film is made by the director of Borat and the Hangover trilogy so I can't say that it will be anything good. One can only hope

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Adam McKay turned around and made The Big Short, which was one of my favorite films that year. Ridley Scott made Robin Hood. While I tend to follow directors more than anything else, I find we can really only say anything certain on a directors capabilities once they are dead.