The All Things Movie Thread

Amentep

I'd put it a little below Dr. Strange.

if it were a little below dr. strangelove, then it would surely be worth the price of admission.

post January 1, 2019 disney flicks is not being released on netflix streaming, so our decision to skip theatre showings is a bit more difficult.

appreciate feedback. 

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Doesn't seem difficult at all to me, ;).

Song of the Sea (2014). Solid. Beautiful artwork, good voice-acting, setting, and music. Story and character writing was adequate. It fell apart in the last half hour much in the same Spirited Away did for me (character motivations being poorly conveyed leading to hollow/uninspired beats, subversions, and turnabouts, multiple story climaxes occurring in rapid succession, things starting to feel like they're just "happening" with little reason for me to care or understand why), but still solid.

Kubo and the Two Strings (2016). Interesting art style, but a totally uninspired first half of the movie and a protagonist I hated made me turn this off halfway through.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

*google*

...wow has it been that many years since hubby and I *had* to see B&T 1 and 2 because of Carlin? And laughing like a loon at Sandler's Death? The faces in that video say yes, but my brain says no.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

All About Eve (1950). Knew absolutely nothing about this one going into it, besides that it was well-reviewed. I very much liked it.

Started getting some slightly skeevy feelings about the titular character shortly into the movie, but then started thinking "well, wait, this is a 1950s movie: by the standards of the time, she's just acting sweet and innocent even though it might come across as kind of creepy to a modern audience", but uh, yeah, nah, turns out, that was exactly the expectation it was playing upon. Wasn't entirely sure where it was going - for a while there, I thought she might turn out to be a full-blown psychomurderer or serial killer or something, but it didn't quite go that far. I felt both mad at and bad for all of the main characters at various points - talk about toying with my sympathies, movie. Great film, very different from what I expected, and in a good way. Also glad I didn't know anything about it going in - the process of trying to figure out what a movie is doing when it's going in places you didn't expect can be great fun when done right.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

All About Eve (1950). Knew absolutely nothing about this one going into it, besides that it was well-reviewed. I very much liked it.

Started getting some slightly skeevy feelings about the titular character shortly into the movie, but then started thinking "well, wait, this is a 1950s movie: by the standards of the time, she's just acting sweet and innocent even though it might come across as kind of creepy to a modern audience", but uh, yeah, nah, turns out, that was exactly the expectation it was playing upon. Wasn't entirely sure where it was going - for a while there, I thought she might turn out to be a full-blown psychomurderer or serial killer or something, but it didn't quite go that far. I felt both mad at and bad for all of the main characters at various points - talk about toying with my sympathies, movie. Great film, very different from what I expected, and in a good way. Also glad I didn't know anything about it going in - the process of trying to figure out what a movie is doing when it's going in places you didn't expect can be great fun when done right.

george sanders was fantastic in almost everything, but with a few exceptions, he was always cast as shere khan 

'could sound condescending reading a grocery list, which isn't a criticism.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Watched a couple of movies:

-Day of Anger: it was awesome, one of the better spaghetti western movies I've seen but my favorite is still The Mercenary.

-THX 1138: didn't like it, I wanted to but I couldn't :/

-Spider: same as the above, maybe I should watch it again. *shruggethy*

-Trees Lounge: ... :lol: I just wanted to see this because of the 90's nostalgia and stuff...I wasn't disappointed.

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

I'm nearly movie illiterate in terms of classic film, but that being Shere Khan makes so much sense. The second he opened up his mouth in All About Eve, I immediately laughed and remarked to the other person I was watching with about him having the most absurdly pompous, condescending voice.

Starting my RoboCop marathon tonight. I'll start with RoboCop 1-3 and then I'll go for both the TV series and the animated stuff. Yup, I'll be skipping the reboot because it sucked, aside from that opening scene where they are bombing a backwards futuristic version of my hometown.

Edited by Katphood

Starting my RoboCop marathon tonight. I'll start with RoboCop 1-3 and then I'll go for both the TV series and the animated stuff. Yup, I'll be skipping the reboot because it sucked, aside from that opening scene where they are bombing a backwards futuristic version of my hometown.

You'll skip the reboot because it sucked but not Robocop 3? :huh:

Just joshing of course, but personally I figure that of the films the only one in the saga that was ever worthwhile was the first. The second had some promise and maybe some decent moments but tonally it's all over the shop, filled with really confusing decisions throughout. I'd be curious about revisiting the animated series as it was part of my childhood but really haven't seen it since and don't exactly expect it to live up to memory. I could see there being a possibility that the remake (which I haven't seen, mind) is actually the best bit of Robocop media since the original, but only because the bar is otherwise so low.

Edited by algroth

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

I can't remember much of 3 so yeah, why not. As for the reboot, I can still remember it and it was total garbage. I would watch through the reboot again if it was some sort of entertaining action movie, but it isn't which is a shame because the director made this really nice Brazillian movie about the special forces known as B.O.P.E. Can't remember the name but that was awesome. I guess I expected a similar experience when I heard he was directing the RoboCop reboot

Edit: 2 is already hilariously bad but at least it has violence and early 90's vibe.

Edited by Katphood

I can't remember much of 3 so yeah, why not. As for the reboot, I can still remember it and it was total garbage. I would watch through the reboot again if it was some sort of entertaining action movie, but it isn't which is a shame because the director made this really nice Brazillian movie about the special forces known as B.O.P.E. Can't remember the name but that was awesome. I guess I expected a similar experience when I heard he was directing the RoboCop reboot

Edit: 2 is already hilariously bad but at least it has violence and early 90's vibe.

Tropa de Elite, yeah. Wasn't big on it myself but I hear the sequel's much better, and Narcos is pretty good too, which is his creation. I know Padilha had a really hard time making Robocop, he talked about how every idea he tried to bring forth had to be approved several times over for it to actually make it into the film and even then only a tenth of them ever made it through, so I've no doubt the end result is a pretty watered down and generic affair. Regardless I'd reckon a tenth of his ideas would be enough to make it more interesting than Robocop 3. :p

But yeah, I was being tongue-in-cheek with the above comment. Sorry if I came off snarky with it. :p

• Like 1

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

I watched The Dirt on NetFlix last night. Great adaptation. The book was better of course. The story covered over 20 years of Crue and it's hard to do that in 108 minutes. But they did a pretty good job. If I could travel back in time it would definitely be Los Angeles in the early 80's. Check out some of the club marquees when you watch this. Some of the greatest bands of all time in dirty little clubs on the same night!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NOp5ROn1HE

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

The RoboCop movies have made me really interested in the city of Detroit. I keep reading about it on Wikipedia. Cool stff, so many notable musicians from that city. Don't know if anybody here has seen the 'Searching for the Sugarman' documentary...

In real life she'd have been shot for carrying an ice axe in school. :p

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

It looks like a fun movie. Definitely tongue-in-cheek and having fun with material that was originally meant for little kiddies. That said, I don't get embarrassed easy but I don't see a way for me as a single guy to buy a ticket for this. LMAO I might have to hope my nieces are in town for it. L0L

P.S. The choice for parents is top notch too. Maybe I'll use them as my 'excuse' even if they ar elikely a relatively small part of the film.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.