I don't enjoy hiring from the Inn to make party members, instead I like to respec the main story companions and side-kicks to keep it more interesting and successive playthroughs fresh.

Has anyone else done this? And if so, what are some fun builds for some of your favorite companions that you've enjoyed?

Honestly just looking for inspiration on fun or interesting builds that pair well with companions - bonus points if it sort of meshes with their personality.

• Like 2

I've used mods people have written to change the companion's starting builds.

Next time through I'm probably going to go street fighter Eder (I tried Unbroken but it's a bit limiting because I felt obligated to use a shield), troubadour pallegina, and if someone will write a mod for it for me, Steel Garotte Paladin  / Blood Mage Aloth.

Ydwin really should have been a beguiler from the start.

Yep. I do this all the time with companions and sidekicks - or use mods so there's less work.

Eder: Unbroken/Trickster
Aloth: Blood Mage
Xoti: Priest of Eothas (modded with Stardusk or Checodan's mods)

Serafen: Furyshaper/Ascendant or Trickster/Soulblade.

Pallegina: Kind Wayfarers/Troubadour

Maia: Gunhawk/Blood Mage or Gunhawk/Sniper (modded Rogue subclass courtesy Checoden).

Rekke: Devoted (Morning Star or Estoc)/Nalpazca

Konstanten: Berserker/Troubadour

Mirke: Trickster/Nalpazca or Streetfighter/Nalpazca
Ydwin: Trickster/Beguiler

• Like 1

I don't enjoy hiring from the Inn to make party members, instead I like to respec the main story companions and side-kicks to keep it more interesting and successive playthroughs fresh.

Has anyone else done this? And if so, what are some fun builds for some of your favorite companions that you've enjoyed?

Honestly just looking for inspiration on fun or interesting builds that pair well with companions - bonus points if it sort of meshes with their personality.

can you make it so that Eder is a herald through unity? 

Yep. You'll need to use the change class function, then remove his Fighter and/or Rogue abilities, then add any default Paladin/Chanter abilities that may have fallen through the cracks.

• Like 1

Yeah, what Ophi said - it's a piece of cake to add and subtract abilities too.  Once you are familiar with the unity console it really opens things up.  

• Like 1

Next time through I'm probably going to go street fighter Eder (I tried Unbroken but it's a bit limiting because I felt obligated to use a shield), troubadour pallegina, and if someone will write a mod for it for me, Steel Garotte Paladin  / Blood Mage Aloth.

If you get the Unity console you can just change Aloths classes to Steel Garrote Paladin and add a subclass to his existing Wizard class.  It's a respec and then you start adding abilities through the normal level up process.  The core paladin abilities and blood mage abilities get added, and you won't have to remove any previous class abilities unless he was a multi-class fighter.

• Like 1

Yep. I do this all the time with companions and sidekicks - or use mods so there's less work.

Maia: Gunhawk/Blood Mage or Gunhawk/Sniper (modded Rogue subclass courtesy Checoden).

I will have to give the priest mod a go with Xoti - that sounds like a ton of fun.

And I've never played with Rekke, Konstanten or Ydwin, do they have good banter in the party and hold their own in a fight?

If you get the Unity console you can just change Aloths classes to Steel Garrote Paladin and add a subclass to his existing Wizard class.  It's a respec and then you start adding abilities through the normal level up process.  The core paladin abilities and blood mage abilities get added, and you won't have to remove any previous class abilities unless he was a multi-class fighter.

Yeah, I just don't like using the Unity console any more than I have to, partly because it's not been updated in a long time and I worry about bugging out the run, partly because I always worry I haven't fully set things "correctly" if I'm doing it all by hand.

Edited by Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

I will have to give the priest mod a go with Xoti - that sounds like a ton of fun.

And I've never played with Rekke, Konstanten or Ydwin, do they have good banter in the party and hold their own in a fight?

Ydwin and Konstanten have special banter in two of the DLC's I think.

Sidekicks don't have much interaction or reactivity in the base game but the DLC fleshes them out more: you'll want to take Konstanten and Ydwin to SSS and BoW, respectively. Rekke has some nice interactions in BoW and I'm assuming FS (haven't taken any of these three there yet).

As for builds, keep in mind I'm going with the changes I listed above:

Rekke (Devoted Estoc/Nalpazca):

Rekke's my go-to backline killer and midline sweeper. I'll buff him with Disciplined Strikes, Swift Flurry, and Thunderous Blows, and use Charge or Flagellant's Path on the nearest caster, followed by high-PEN Estoc strikes. After the backline is taken care of, I'll swap to Morning Star (Will Breaker) and wreck enemy defenses from behind. Nalpazca ensures he never runs out of Wounds.

Konstanten Berserker/Skald (I goofed earlier because I forgot his default Chanter sub is Skald):

Konstanten has a weird stat setup (like Wasteland 2 weird) with high CON and low PER and INT. I like to use him as a Fortitude breaker (Staggered from Spirit Frenzy + Carnage; the Weakness chant; Body Blows from Morning Star) that can swap to offensive invocations (Eld Nary when equipped with Sasha's Singing Scimitar; Her Revenge with Lord Daryn's Voulge). Berserker helps him get more crits, which pares well with Skald.

Ydwin (Trickster/Beguiler): This one offers superb afflictions and crowd control options, great ranged damage, and some panic buttons. Beguiler's Focus replenishment combined with Sneak Attack, Draining Whip, and Rogue attacks means you'll rarely run out of stuff to cast. I like giving her The Red Hand, Frostseeker, Aamina's Legacy, and Veilpiercer.

On the topic of Unity Console, I should point out it has been buggy since the creator stopped updating it some months back. It's strongly advised to save before using it. On my latest POTD/upscale start, I recruited Aloth after the drake fight and changed his class to Blood Mage immediately afterwards. It set his class to nullstring and locked his level to 0 (and I forgot to quicksave after the battle).

Edited by Ophiuchus
  • Like 1

On the topic of Unity Console, I should point out it has been buggy since the creator stopped updating it some months back. It's strongly advised to save before using it. On my latest POTD/upscale start, I recruited Aloth after the drake fight and changed his class to Blood Mage immediately afterwards. It set his class to nullstring and locked his level to 0 (and I forgot to quicksave after the battle).

Yeah, what I'm hearing is "someone needs to write an Aloth Blood Mage mod." Not it! (I don't know how anyway!)

There's basically one poor dude who's written almost all the alternate-class mods on the Nexus/workshop and I think he's overwhelmed since the patch.

• Like 1

I tried giving Eder unbroken and street fighter before, but found unbroken too restricting and street fighter too finicky to trigger. Next run I'm thinking of turning him into a devoded(morningstars) & bleakwalker. :devil:

I also want to turn Maia into an arcane archer but afraid it might mess up her bird, tried looking into how that dude on the nexus does it but was kind of overwhelmed just looking at the files. Obsidian added this: https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/107923-tutorial-adding-new-abilities-to-a-class-v410/ with the new patch so I'll see if I can figure something out with that.

Edited by falchen

Come to think of it, an Unbroken / Trickster build for Eder could be really great. Stack Cadhu Scalth, Mirror Image, Llengrath's, and the Fighter deflection bonuses. . .

EDIT: bleh, I can get it working with the standard console but not with the unity console. Oh well >_<. It is a dandy build -- you can get up to around 180 Deflection!

I tried giving Eder unbroken and street fighter before, but found unbroken too restricting and street fighter too finicky to trigger. Next run I'm thinking of turning him into a devoded(morningstars) & bleakwalker. :devil:

I also want to turn Maia into an arcane archer but afraid it might mess up her bird, tried looking into how that dude on the nexus does it but was kind of overwhelmed just looking at the files. Obsidian added this: https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/107923-tutorial-adding-new-abilities-to-a-class-v410/ with the new patch so I'll see if I can figure something out with that.

A fort debuff bleak walking Eder sounds really fun.  I messed around quite a bit with Maia (even making her not a ranger at all) and I can't remember what happened to Ishiza.  I'll test that out for you.

Tekehu as a Watershaper Druid/Helwalker Monk (Ascetic) is one of my favourite builds. I also adjust his base stats to be more favourable (though no higher than is possible through character creation), but with clever gearing and inspirations he can hit the 35 MIG and INT caps with 10 wounds. This gives him huge passive healing through The Moon’s Light and Nature’s Balm (from memory I see durations of ~30 seconds on the Robust inspiration and ~50 seconds on The Moon’s Light heal), a huge area of effect for Relentless Storm (plus much longer duration stuns) and his Foe only Chill Fog, and so many other Druid spells. Makes him a very good jack-of-all-trades.

To top it off, it’s even thematic - from my top level perceptions of the Watershapers being a monk-like practice (I liken them to the Waterbenders in Avatar: The Last Airbender).

• Like 1