Turn based is incredible. Please continue to touch it up!

I just wanted to say that I have a newfound passion for this game because of turn based. I understand the history of RTwP, I still play icewind dale, bg, bg2 etc... But the way games are today, in my opinion, turn based is so much better. As many have mentioned, the depth of combat is SO deep in Pillars. You guys did a truly incredible job creating a system from the ground up that works. For me personally as I get deep into the game, combat is just a mess and I just lose track of everything that is going on.

In turn based, because of the slower pace I have an excellent sense of everything that is going on. Each buff I cast, followed by attacks I do with that buff, feel much more meaningful. This game feels like it was made to be turn based.

With that said, obviously there need to be some tweaks and you have all received a lot of feedback on that. I am not far into my TB game, but I do for see some fights taking a very long time. I wonder if some type of slight HP reduction and increase in base damage, or something that could make it so enemies are still a big threat but die quicker? Not really sure. Also, as many have mentioned, tweaking the system to allow for either multiple attacks or action points or something just so an Arquebus attack isn't the same as a dagger attack. Enemy AI seems to be a fit weird too at times. I have seen them make some "interesting" decisions.

My sincere hope is that A) You make Pillars 3, and B) that you dedicate a large focus to it being turn based. If you couldn't do both RTwP and TB, I would hope the focus would go to TB as it just plays so much smoother IMO.

Keep up the great work!!!

• Like 7

So far its been incredible. I expected it to be very experimental and have a lots of problems, but im impressed how it turned out to be so great and functional (and for free after launch!).

I'm getting the PS4 version too as soon it launches to play again  with my wife. Such great work from obsidian. Cant wait for Outer Worlds.

• Like 1

So far so good. My only worry is late game, when party becomes too OP for majority of base content. Playing turn-based, while not actually worrying about tactics can be tedious. I have installed mod which adjusts XP gain rate, and I hope for the most part it will be enough. 

Liking it so far but I do feel like some of the spell effects feel a little underwhelming now that there can't be multiple spells firign off at once. There are also a few mini-encounters that work well pacing-wise in RT, but are more like speedbumps in TB and should probably be removed -- lone enemies you run into in corridors that warn the player about an upcoming encounter aren't really necessary in the same way.

Edited by ptarror

turn-based is so much better indeed. it will significantly increase the player base. me for instance, i couldnt play this amazing game earlier because I found rtwp way too frantic...and I didn't get to enjoy watching the amazing abilities animate. 

Yes, likewise! Combat in RTwP can get very cluttered and chaotic, especially on PotD. One of the most welcome side effects of TB is that I find myself making more well-thought out and varied tactical choices. In my past RTwP playthroughs, I'd often just spam spells point blank without any strategic evaluation, not feeling inclined to read through hundreds of lines of combat spam to figure out a better strategy.

TB also changed how I play the game outside of combat. Now that brainless steamrolling is no longer an option, I'm much less inclined to seek out battles, choosing to rely on diplomacy and stealth shenanigans instead.

Edited by ballad
  • Like 1