4 big issues that persist even almost a year after release!

RedKnight

Question

Some of this may come of a bit harsh, but it's supposed to be taken as constructive criticism, so before I mention a few things that are really starting to bother me, let me just thank Obsidian for making this amazing game in the first place! Now, I know that many of these things may be low on your priority list to fix, but when you have hundreds of such small issues, your game will die a sad death of a thousand small cuts! Please don't let this happen, because I want to see PoE3.

Anyway, bugs, glitches, annoyances...

1. Optimization - I know this has already been discussed to death, but my game is experiencing huge frame spikes every 5-10 seconds, where the otherwise smooth gameplay turns into a stuttering mess. This is especially visible in Neketaka. Btw, I have a GTX 980TI with I7 processor and 32 GB of RAM, so my machine should be more than powerful enough to run this game without any hick ups. Hell, I play Witcher 3 on ultra settings at smooth 60 fps.

2. Floating text that is stuck over the dialogue screen - This is a bug that has existed ever since Beast of Winter came out. Obsidian said they are working to fix it back in august 2018 as you can see here. I know you guys have been working on TB combat, because you want to sell your game better to TB crowd, but these bugs make the game feel rushed, unpolished and unfinished - especially if the bugs have persissted for so long.

3. Text typos, wrong descriptions etc - The game is full with hundreds of small typos where an "is" or an "are" is missing from a sentance! On top of that I remember, when on day 1 I purchased the game, installed it and immediately noticed that the chain mail says it is good against slashing weapons, yet when I put it on I get a defense against crushing damage. Such small errors are present all over the game and have been present since day 1!

4. Floaty combat - I don't know what you did with pathfinding, but it's much worse than it was in PoE1. The enemies and characters float instead of run when engaging. Yes, they don't get stuck as often, but I would much rather have them get stuck once in a while, than to constantly look at horrible floaty animations in every single battle I engage. Please fix this!

These 4 things are nothing game breaking, but they leave any newcomer to the game with a very sour taste in their mouth. I havent even finished the game yet, because I keep waiting for patches that will address these issues. Can any dev please tell me if you even plan to fix these things? If so when? I will postpone my playthrough until these issues are resolved. Thanks!

oh PS.

5. When I enter sneak mode and select all my party, the sneak mode runs in super fast mode. You actually move faster by sneaking than with running....

Edited by RedKnight
  • Like 2

10 answers to this question

1. Optimization - I know this has already been discussed to death, but my game is experiencing huge frame spikes every 5-10 seconds, where the otherwise smooth gameplay turns into a stuttering mess. This is especially visible in Neketaka. Btw, I have a GTX 980TI with I7 processor and 32 GB of RAM, so my machine should be more than powerful enough to run this game without any hick ups. Hell, I play Witcher 3 on ultra settings at smooth 60 fps.

I think the ship has sailed on this, honestly. I built a brand-new computer and before I had to RMA my gpu for the third time (nvidia rtx friggin sucks) and get something else, I had a 2080 Ti and the beefiest AMD cpu, plus loads of ram, and the fastest NVMe storage I could get. I basically had the same exact frame skips as I did on my 5-6 year old computer that it was replacing. Something in the game is just coded so inefficiently that at this point I have to write it off as just a systematic misdesign in the engine, since no amount of hardware can apparently smooth it out, and would require some deep re-coding to fix, something that they are definitely not going to risk doing so late in the game life cycle.

• Like 2

I think the ship has sailed on this, honestly. I built a brand-new computer and before I had to RMA my gpu for the third time (nvidia rtx friggin sucks) and get something else, I had a 2080 Ti and the beefiest AMD cpu, plus loads of ram, and the fastest NVMe storage I could get. I basically had the same exact frame skips as I did on my 5-6 year old computer that it was replacing. Something in the game is just coded so inefficiently that at this point I have to write it off as just a systematic misdesign in the engine, since no amount of hardware can apparently smooth it out, and would require some deep re-coding to fix, something that they are definitely not going to risk doing so late in the game life cycle.

According to some posters in the Steam discussions the problem is Unity didn't code multithreading correctly, so on processors with a lot of cores the game begins to starve itself of resources.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/560130/discussions/0/2572002906843374108/

Edited by protopersona
  • Like 1

"As the murderhobo mantra goes: 'If you can't kill it, steal it.'" - Prince of Lies

According to some posters in the Steam discussions the problem is Unity didn't code multithreading correctly, so on processors with a lot of cores the game begins to starve itself of resources.

holy crap man I need to try that. AMD cpus in particular have tons of (logical) cores, so I might have actually made the resource starvation a bigger issue over my much older cpu.

Yeah, I tried that before posting my complaint. Unfortunately, it didn't result in any improvements to my frame rate. I spent around 4 hours trying to get even a slight boost - testing all the options - but to no avail unfortunately. Let's hope Obsidian finds a solution. From what I can tell it's connected to big open areas (like Neketaka) where you can see shadows moving depending on the sun and weather effects. It's like every time the sun and shadows move, the game hangs for a microsecond and then continues relatively smoothly until 5-10 seconds later the sun moves again.

Edited by RedKnight
  • Like 1

holy crap man I need to try that. AMD cpus in particular have tons of (logical) cores, so I might have actually made the resource starvation a bigger issue over my much older cpu.

I can vouch for Special K: I spoofed my cores from 6 to 4 and noticed a significant difference in FPS. As of 4.1 I haven't needed it but it might work for you.

What kind of performance are you guys getting in Queen's Berth and in the Crucible?  Those are still relatively low performance areas where I will regularly notice I can barely maintain 60 fps, and I will also see frequent drops into the 30's and 40's.  Most other areas I will average between 80 and 90 fps.  

Yeah, I tried that before posting my complaint. Unfortunately, it didn't result in any improvements to my frame rate. I spent around 4 hours trying to get even a slight boost - testing all the options - but to no avail unfortunately. Let's hope Obsidian finds a solution. From what I can tell it's connected to big open areas (like Neketaka) where you can see shadows moving depending on the sun and weather effects. It's like every time the sun and shadows move, the game hangs for a microsecond and then continues relatively smoothly until 5-10 seconds later the sun moves again.

I can vouch for Special K: I spoofed my cores from 6 to 4 and noticed a significant difference in FPS. As of 4.1 I haven't needed it but it might work for you.

I think this is a YMMV situation since it's literally hardware-dependant.

Currently have an AMD vega 64, and on 4K if i cast a few wall spells my fps starts to suffer pretty badly. I just gave SpecialK a try and reduced my logical cores from 16 to 4 and tried a test battle where I summoned every single wall I could and wow I don't think my FPS dipped at all. Definitely seems like a unity-specific threading-related resource starvation issue (so not even GPU-related, which normally tends to be the culprit).

Edited by thelee
  • Like 1

I'm sure Unity is nice but man, if there's a bug with *Unity itself* you're just kind of boned. Reminds me of how in PoE1 even the smallest patch was gigabytes of data to download just how resource management was done, not to mention the longer you played the game the kinder your save/load times became, both issues that we're only fixed with a unity version upgrade for Deadfire.