Spells cost two standard actions

I've noticed that some spells with long casting times (most notably for me is Ninagauth's Shadowflame) will sometimes eat up two standard actions. It seems to be linked to the casting beginning in one round and finishing in the next, thus costing me both the standard action for beginning the cast, and the standard action when it finishes. Is this a bug or a feature? If it's supposed to be that way it seems a bit harsh.

• Like 2

There may be some spells that are bugged, but in my experience if your initiative is low enough you can cast a spell within 1 turn, otherwise with heavy armor and dumped dex it take 2 turns

The problem is not that a spell might trigger the next round. The problem is that it actually cost you your action in the next round, leaving you only with movement (well, and free actions).

Even that fact alone wouldn't be too bad if it was by design. But the fact that it sometimes hapens and sometimes not with no rhyme or reason is a huge bug at best and terrible design at worst.

• Like 1

If you complete the spell in the same round, it never seems to happen.

It only happens when your cast goes off in the next round, which doesnt happen too often for me since my Wizard has resonably low Init. I've had it happen with Chill Fog and Rolling Flame Sphere (or whatever it's called). You can test it for yourself by delaying your Wizard's turn so (s)he's last in round 1 and then cast Chill Fog. It will go off in the next round and your Wizard will be left without an action for that round.

Well, sometimes at least. As I said I haven't figured out what might cause it but it doesn't always happen.

I've barely made it to the open sea, since I've been pretty busy so more testing might reveal what's going on (or at least what's triggering this behavior).

Theory: maybe casting spell eats up the action point if casting overlaps with the turn? Treat it as unreliable report but if I remember well every time I lost my aciton point was when the spell was cast and immediately this character’ turn occurred. When spell was cast earlier character had to wait for his turn everyhting worked as expected. It would be nice to hear from devs if such behaviour is intended (if casting overlaps with characters turn in the following round it eats up extra action point) or if it is a bug treating casting as an action of the new turn, even though the cost was already paid.

Hey everyone!

Thanks for the amazing feedback in this thread!  I put some of the information into a report for the team to consider and linked the thread so they can see the rest.  If you have more to say about the spell casting, please continue to post about it here so the team can see it as a reference.

Thanks again for all the help and feedback you've been providing us!

Spell re-targeting needs to be fixed as well. The re-target option appears when the spell is first selected to be cast, needs to be there when the spell is actually cast. Some of the spells have long cast times and everything can be in different places by the time the the character gets around to casting.

Spell re-targeting needs to be fixed as well. The re-target option appears when the spell is first selected to be cast, needs to be there when the spell is actually cast. Some of the spells have long cast times and everything can be in different places by the time the the character gets around to casting.

You can re-target during other characters' turns by clicking on the casting character's portrait and retargeting from there. It's one of the reasons why you can still pause during TB mode.

Edited by Saito Hikari

The worst part is that it doesn't always seem to happen. Not even with the same spell. When I cast Chill Fog across two rounds, sometimes it does cost me both actions and sometimes it doesn't. I haven't figured out yet what's causing this.

What i found, since it based on the highest initiative in the entire round, meaning if there is no one with higher initiative than your added spell cast time, then it would be sent to next round. Here there is some weirdness, sometimes I cast a spell and it applies in the next round and still getting another attack for that round, and sometimes I just lose the opportunity to attack in the round my previous spell was casted.

But for most point is that as the battle prolong and enemies using more and more action, meaning there are enough character with higher initiative than your spell initiative, which then makes you able to cast spell almost immediately or after 2 3 enemies get their turn.