Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

What are barbarians good at?

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 14436 posts
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Yes, Brute is also nice. Clear Out and Mule Kick target Fortitude as well - so it's even a good "self-contained" build in itself before getting to Brute Force. 

I personally like a lot of those spells that target Fortitude. That's why Body Blows is so valuable for me. 

MortyTheGobbo

MortyTheGobbo

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 567 posts

I have Rekke as a fighter/barbarian too, but I've mostly just had him swing a pair of axes. I suppose I could try mixing things up and giving Konstanten dual-wielding instead.

aqeelus

aqeelus

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 22 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

What's the best voulge build, though? 

Tried Shattered/Berserker and it was too squishy. I'm thinking Berserker/Devoted, Berserker/Garrote or single class Berserker. 

I am suffering from a sever case of rerollitis, please help.

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 14436 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

If I wanted to reduce the squishyness I wouldn't pick Berserker in the first place. :)

What about Furyshaper/Fury? Fits nicely, the Frenzy Ward stacks with everything (great casting and attack speed) and the Storm spells could profit from the Voulge (if you choose to bind it to the druid class, not the Barb class). Bloodlust and Bloodthirst also trigger when you kill enemies via Storms/spells by the way.

• brasilgringo likes this

MortyTheGobbo

MortyTheGobbo

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 567 posts

In my current playthrough I'm running Serafen as a Cipher/Barbarian, dual-wielding battle axes. It seems to be working better, since I just use Frenzy and sometimes Barbaric Blow to build up focus and enhance his damage-dealing powers.

aqeelus

aqeelus

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 22 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Well, a bit squishy is fine and constant recovery and unbending will solve that issue  :p

I've never tried tempest so how will it play? Will it be a full nuke caster rather than melee focused? 

brasilgringo

brasilgringo

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 365 posts

I like the idea from Boeroer of Furyshaper/Fury ... just in my experience if this is a solo build, your wards will die too quick for fury to be worth it.  If it is not solo and you can keep the heat off the wards, go for it.

MortyTheGobbo

MortyTheGobbo

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 567 posts

I've acquired Willbreaker and Patinated Plate, so I can get Rekke and Konstanten into those builds. I don't have any unique battleaxes, though. Maybe some regular superb ones will do.

MortyTheGobbo

MortyTheGobbo

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 567 posts

Right, I forgot Barbaric Retaliation is only available on level 19. So this build won't work yet, because Konstanten is 2,5 levels behind me. Without BR he's just a very slow dual-wielder. Maybe I'll just put him in lighter armor until he's level 19. Like Bloody Links.

Edited by MortyTheGobbo, 02 February 2019 - 04:09 AM.

peolone

peolone

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 63 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Variant 4: Bloody Backlash

Patinated Plate (Juggernaut), Thick Skinned, Blunting Belt, Blood Storm, Blood Thirst, HoF, Bloodlust,Blood Surge, Barbaric Retaliation, Panther's Leap. Dual Battle Axes (Oathbreakers also works) or Willbreaker or Saru-Sichr, Sanguine Sword. Cast Blood Storm, jump in and let them hit you while you hit them. Dual Battle Axes are best. Recovery will not matter with retaliation. Will not matter with HoF. If somebody dies: Blood Thirst. And so on. Whirlwind of Bleeding Cuts. Nice Variant: Grave Calling + Scordeo's Edge with Blade Cascade.

The Pulverizer works like a super easy AI bot, too. Needs no special gear. Not much works with Driving Roar. But the hat is nice since it gives +5 ACC.

What subclass do you suggest for playing this one? Berserker looks kind of squishy. Maybe Corpse-Eater ?

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 14436 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
I used Serafen, so vanilla. Berserker with Savage Defiance can still be good. He gets +2 AR from his Frenzy which can be very important. You will get crit a lot so you need all the AR you can get. Maybe don't push MIG so high.

Furyshaper could also be good. With Blood Ward you would at least get back some good health with every Retaliation + Carnage.

By the way: Retaliation also works with ranged weapon (no reload) e.g. Hand Mortars or so.

When fighting against Kith/Wilder Corpse Eater is nice. You can retaliate while doing Flesh Communion. But against all others...
  • peolone likes this

peolone

peolone

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 63 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

As for the equipment (besides what you have already suggested), I'm thinking about the Ragged Cloak: it could fit nicely in this build. One could also wear Ngati's Girdle for another effect on being crit... and maybe get Hylea's Talons for another bleed effect on top of that of the axes...

What would be the ideal stats for such a build? I'm guessing: dumped RES, ok MIG and INT, high CON to survive damage and high PER to hit the attackers. It should be also better not to dump DEX, right? Since Barbaric retaliation comes very late in the game and I don't want to completely useless before that...

Edited by peolone, 10 February 2019 - 07:51 AM.

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 14436 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
Yes, that is correct. Don't 'minmax' everything towards retaliation right from the start. Else it will get supertedious before reaching the higher levels.
  • peolone likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users