How to side with Huana and keep Pallegina now?

The last time I finished the game, I went Huana, Castol was in good standing, and I had good reputation with Pallegina and VTC, and saved Giacolo.  At the end, I refused Rauatai, leading to the fight where they all die, and went back to the queen and the queen didn't make me do anything against Valians.  Pallegina didn't leave the party, and at the end I got this, which seems to accurately sum up the events:

"For assisting the Watcher with the Huana conquest of Ukaizo, Pallegina is immediately dismissed from the brotherhood, but the ducs stop short of banishing her from the Republics.

Director Castol intercedes on her behalf, pleading with the ducs for her assistance with his ongoing work in the Deadfire.

Reluctantly, the ducs readmit Pallegina to the Frermàs mes Canc Suolias. She remains Director Castol's only offical support from the ducs in the region.

For assisting the Watcher with the Huana conquest of Ukaizo, Pallegina is immediately dismissed from the brotherhood, but the ducs stop short of banishing her from the Republics.

Director Castol intercedes on her behalf, pleading with the ducs for her assistance with his ongoing work in the Deadfire.

Reluctantly, the ducs readmit Pallegina to the Frermàs mes Canc Suolias. She

remains Director Castol's only offical support from the ducs in the region."

This time, I did the same thing, and she left the party, leaving me with a note that referenced "hostile actions" against the VTC.  If anything it should read "because you failed to support VTC..." but I didn't take any hostile actions against them and had max reputation with them, in fact.  Also, due to the presence of the above slide, it obviously is possible to have Pallegina assist in a Huana ending, unless this was simply removed.

Was something changed?  How can you side with Huana and not have Pellgina leave on the current patch?

Edited by ilsendoodle

They must have patched out that workaround, same experience as yours. Yea it’s a bummer. Josh once said the intention was for her to only stick around if she was never exiled in poe1 so that might still work, try a save where she followed her orders maybe.

Ironically Maia is still happy to slaughter her own countrymen if you do it the “piss off the rdc route”. :D

• Like 2

They must have patched out that workaround, same experience as yours. Yea it’s a bummer. Josh once said the intention was for her to only stick around if she was never exiled in poe1 so that might still work, try a save where she followed her orders maybe.

Ironically Maia is still happy to slaughter her own countrymen if you do it the “piss off the rdc route”. :D

That's interesting.  I never played PoE 1.  I just select the "benevolent" history at the top.  But wouldn't the benevolent history be the one where she is "never exiled"?

That's interesting.  I never played PoE 1.  I just select the "benevolent" history at the top.  But wouldn't the benevolent history be the one where she is "never exiled"?

The thing is that in poe1 she's ordered to make a trade deal with some guys that will **** over the local dyrwoodians. She doesn't want to do it because she thinks they'll retaliate against the valians once they realize what they have done and it will cost them more in the long run. You can convince her to do follow orders anyway and make the deal or not.

If she makes the deal then she's in good standing with the republic - and this is what I assume you would need to do for her to remain with you.

Her other ending is not making the deal and getting exiled. Then alternatively still, if in the game's ending you use soul stuff to make the dyrwood stronger, the republics eventually realize she was right and pardon her. This is not enough to make her remain with you though, already tried.

Edited by falchen

The thing is that in poe1 she's ordered to make a trade deal with some guys that will **** over the local dyrwoodians. She doesn't want to do it because she thinks they'll retaliate against the valians once they realize what they have done and it will cost them more in the long run. You can convince her to do follow orders anyway and make the deal or not.

If she makes the deal then she's in good standing with the republic - and this is what I assume you would need to do for her to remain with you.

Her other ending is not making the deal and getting exiled. Then alternatively still, if in the game's ending you use soul stuff to make the dyrwood stronger, the republics eventually realize she was right and pardon her. This is not enough to make her remain with you though, already tried.

I just tried to make a new game but it seems like you can't customize the import, so I can't tell which options lead to different paths for Pallegina.  But it's hard to believe that the only way to get her to stay is to choose an ending where she was banished.  (I know it's not the one where she was not banished because that's what the Benevolent Soul history does--you get her immediately in the palace, and she leaves at the end if you don't support VTC.)

Since I don't have PoE the only way for me to get a different start for her would be picking one of the "bad" histories but I imagine that will affect other things, and I doubt it will cause her to stay anyway.  Pretty sure she's just bugged, given how it used to be, and given the ending slides for her where she helps you with the Huana.

Edited by ilsendoodle

You can generate a new save by picking choices individually, though it's at the very bottom of the options menu and has to be done before starting char creation.

Both "banished but reinstated" and "never banished" endings have her join you at the palace, you should be able to determine which of those applies by talking to her though.

It’s easy to see what history she had: what breastplate did she have?

Banished history:

https://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Desgraza_Breastplate

Loyal history:

https://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Honor_Guard_Breastplate_(Pallegina)

Thanks, definitely get the honor guard breastplate every time, so the benevolent history has that one.  She still leaves the party with that condition.  Only question then is if the banished and/or reinstated ones change anything.

Edited by ilsendoodle

• 2 weeks later...

I am also currently trying to avoid losing Pallegina when siding with Huana. For me, VTC is not the "Rival" and I have good relationship with them/Pallegina. She was only initially exiled from VTC, but then welcomed back/returned.

Here's what I did:
I tried talking to the Hazanui then declining the Queen assassination, causing her to attack me (to not lose Maia). But whenever I talk to the queen then leave the island, Pallegina leaves. Even though her departing letters says I wronged the VTC, and when I ask she says everything's fine. 

Any Ideas? Is it simply not possible?

• Confused 1

Yeah, real bummer. I was so confidend in my route. Went with Principi first time - I thought no companions leave you if you side with them. Used to be the case at least?

Left Dunnage and Pallegina left me. Feels bad man.

Yeah, it’s obnoxious because there’s no real explanation of how that particular route damages the VTC. I simply killed the RDC leadership without blaming VTC. There’s not a good in game explanation for why she must leave after that, compared to blaming the VTC for powderhouse.

Due to the presence of the slide, I'd say it is a bug.  Have tried every which way to keep Pallegina and support Huana to get that slide and can't do it anymore.  I agree that it makes little sense, especiall if you have max rep with Pallegnia and VTC and saved Giacolo.

• Thanks 1

It's prob a bug. Obs doesnt seem concerned with fixing the ending slides. I killed Furrante and on the ending slides it says he is leading the Principi smh. There's also the extreme disconnect that if Xoti bc a blood hungry freak and disappears that she still maintains a life long friendship with Eder.

Deadfire should win an award for most inconsistencies in an RPG lol.

Edited by Verde
  • Thanks 1

• 5 months later...
  • 7 months later...
On 1/28/2019 at 12:52 PM, falchen said:

Ironically Maia is still happy to slaughter her own countrymen if you do it the “piss off the rdc route”. 😄

Not so much, after Hazanui asked me to kill Onekaza, i had Maia in the party and i refused, the entire RDC turned against me except Maia, we fighted any hostile RDC, then we destroyed the powder storage, and after i returned to the ship Maia left a letter and definitively left the party... Losing Maia is not a problem, i never appreciated her colonial comportment, but i really hope nothing bad will happen to Pallegina if (when) i side with the Huana.

Pillars of Eternity PS4 - RPG fan - Native language French, so please forgive my poor English speaking ...

15 hours ago, fced said:

Not so much, after Hazanui asked me to kill Onekaza, i had Maia in the party and i refused, the entire RDC turned against me except Maia, we fighted any hostile RDC, then we destroyed the powder storage, and after i returned to the ship Maia left a letter and definitively left the party... Losing Maia is not a problem, i never appreciated her colonial comportment, but i really hope nothing bad will happen to Pallegina if (when) i side with the Huana.

Blowing up the powder storage is one of Maia's triggers, yea. Thing is if you get the RDC to turn against you by refusing to kill the queen, then go see the queen right away that skips the "blow up the powder storage" part of the quest and Maia stays (or did on my last run).

2 hours ago, falchen said:

Blowing up the powder storage is one of Maia's triggers, yea. Thing is if you get the RDC to turn against you by refusing to kill the queen, then go see the queen right away that skips the "blow up the powder storage" part of the quest and Maia stays (or did on my last run).

I will try to reload a save... in my current save (after i cleaned the rdc and destroyed the powder storage) i can't fast travel to Kahanga palace it is locked...

is there a way to unite the three factions (Huana/RDC/VTC) and the other if possible ?

As the watcher of Eora, i would have loved a way to set things right for each factions then unite them...

Edit  : you were right, as this it worked...

Edited by fced

Pillars of Eternity PS4 - RPG fan - Native language French, so please forgive my poor English speaking ...

On 2/28/2020 at 12:20 PM, falchen said:

after i returned to the queen (after i killed Hazanui karu) to validate the  i decided to blow the Rautai storage powder (preventive action in case they try to attack me), of course it was a free action, but when i returned to the ship, both Pallegina and Maia left definitively.. 
I reloaded a save (after i returned the quest to Onekaza and without destroying the powder storage), then returned to my ship and Pallegina left, but Maia is still here  ...

What did i miss ? Is it really not possible to keep Pallegina and side with Huana ?

Edited by fced

• 5 months later...
On 3/3/2020 at 12:14 AM, fced said:

after i returned to the queen (after i killed Hazanui karu) to validate the  i decided to blow the Rautai storage powder (preventive action in case they try to attack me), of course it was a free action, but when i returned to the ship, both Pallegina and Maia left definitively.. 
I reloaded a save (after i returned the quest to Onekaza and without destroying the powder storage), then returned to my ship and Pallegina left, but Maia is still here  ...

What did i miss ? Is it really not possible to keep Pallegina and side with Huana ?

The same happened to me. I cleared out RDC by declining the last quest, so I kept Maia. But while joining the Huana, and right after you set sail, Pallegina leaves.

On 1/28/2019 at 8:52 AM, falchen said:

Ironically Maia is still happy to slaughter her own countrymen if you do it the “piss off the rdc route”. 😄

Ok this must be it. Thanks.

• 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...

In PoE, for my game pleasure, Pallegina was only existing. She had her attitude and it was well. 

I have created a savegame with Deadfire for my first playthrough to play any Watcher, with no relation to my PoE1 main Watchers. However, in this Deadfire playthrough with my Helgard (Paladin, Kind Wayfarers) he did what Pallegina wanted in PoE1, he supported her attention during her Quest for her Ducs. Now, in Deadfire, after Family Pride, the only Quest I took she into the group, she accuses my Watcher that she was exiled from the Ducs, he had destroyed the Dyrwood and now he would have murdered someone. 

Why wasn't my Watcher allowed to put her in her place, so that she would silently steam off as an offended pork sausage?

After this Pallegina episode, now, I just don't care about this character. She is not a strong female character, she is just stupid and not capable of self-reflection.

Edited by Dukemon

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/28/2019 at 12:52 PM, falchen said:

I made a save before completing the game the first time, to see what reaction the world would have to me going crazy. With Maia - I eradicated every single soul at the Brass Citadel. Not only the men, but the women and children too. I also told her straight to her face that I

Spoiler

killed her brother by sacrificing him to a blood pool, then tried to goad her into attacking me. 

It's kinda lame that they ... what's the expression in English... coped out? Copped out? Chickened out? On Maia having an ACTUAL realistic reaction like trying to murder you on the spot. How come? It was massively immersion breaking for me.