Stealth mode doesn't slow you down in 4.1. -- is this intentional?

As it says in the title. There is no difference in movement speed between normal and stealth mode. This could be intentional, but there was no mention of it in the patch notes. As far as I've been able to determine, stealth does still work, it's just that it doesn't slow you down.

Any comments on this?

Well, this doesn't affect you if you play Deadfire the turn-based way.

Aha!

[heavy irony and fake news]

Surely, this must indicate what the Obsidian devs played, preferred, bug-tested and cared about.

They have been busy enjoying the game they always wanted.

[/heavy irony and fake news]

Edited by IndiraLightfoot

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

It certainly ain't killing the game, but after PoE and what I've played of Deadfire so far, it sure feels strange.

The entire Deadfire journey is fun but strange. The vanilla game is marred with inconsistencies and revolving door of bugs. You really have to wonder if Obs played through the vanilla game. Edited by Verde

No, it's known bug.

I'd say that this is a minor bug in that it doesn't actually break (and I mean that in the most literal sense) the game.  The game doesn't crash.  It doesn't fail to do fairly important things it should be doing, like say, not adding a damage lash when it should.  It's just characters walking a little faster than they should.

Mind you, I'd prefer them to be moving more slowly while in stealth.  My primary reason is that when I'm in stealth in a dungeon, I'm searching for traps.  And I intentionally turn off "fast" mode, because I want to give myself plenty of time to stop the party when I spot a trap.  And sometimes if I'm in fast mode, I might not get the party stopped fast enough to avoid the trap.  So, having the party or a single person moving at normal walking speed while in stealth could cause me to accidentally trigger a trap.

But overall, it's not the end of the world, so to speak.  I just hope they fix it, because I like the immersive value of being slow and sneaky when in stealth.  It just feels right.

One of the most popular mods for PoE1 was a stealth mode that did not slow you down--so that you didn't have to be creeping along at a snail's pace to find things, etc...;)  I used it myself.  Being stealthy does not automatically mean being slow as molasses, imo.

It's very well known that I don't make mistakes, so if you should stumble across the odd error here and there in what I have written, you may immediately deduce--quite correctly--that I did not write it... :biggrin:

As much as i love the stealth bug, i do believe being stealthy means you must move slower. Youre planning your steps carefully to avoid detectiong, watching for twigs, waiting for backs to be turned etc.

Again, i love the new bug and hope it stays.

• Like 1

Stealth essentially makes no sense if stealthy movement is as quick as any other movement. But yes, the bug does have its benefits.

How can I import this bug to Kingmaker? Moving like a legless offspring of geriatric glacier and arthritic sloth is very seriously getting on my nerves, and I'm still in Act 2. 

P.S.: please don't fix it please don't fix it please don't fix it 

• Like 2

Stealth essentially makes no sense if stealthy movement is as quick as any other movement. But yes, the bug does have its benefits.

How can I import this bug to Kingmaker? Moving like a legless offspring of geriatric glacier and arthritic sloth is very seriously getting on my nerves, and I'm still in Act 2. 

P.S.: please don't fix it please don't fix it please don't fix it 

Fair question. My experience with the game is quite limited, but I agree they have made some astonishing design choices, walking speed being one of them. Swarm enemies (some particular early-game spider swarms come to mind) being another.

And of course, the dialogue trees are nothing but cliche, there isn't even any attempt at creativity. Which is fair enough: if you just want to put together a cavalcade of tropes, that's definitely one possible approach, it's basically what much of all genre work is built upon. I do wish the English was better, though: it's so obvious that (at least some) writers are either non-natives or very careless indeed.

And from what I've played so far, the story appears more railroaded than an actual railroad. But maybe it opens up later on, I don't know.

Edited by xzar_monty

• 2 weeks later...

Not quite. The moving speed issue while stealthed got fixed, but now we have issues with character movement out of stealth (while out of combat): Move animation and speed will switch from walking to running and vice versa. While the "speedy stealth" was somewhat convenient - this new bug is just annoying. Sometimes, after reloading, you will run so fast as if you had Wild Sprint activated. That's convenient again. ;)  

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods