Turn-based pathfinding...

The pathfinding in turn-based is really terrible. The pushing of characters out of the way helps, but not always.

There needs to be pathfinding calculations that know that you cannot actually pathfind to a location, or you can't shove anything out of the way. The work has to be pre-calculated. Right now half the time characters get stuck and walk back-and-forth in weird situations, or just get stuck behind a wall of characters with no indication that it'll do that.

Things that'll help:

- A floor indicator that this will push someone out of the way.

- Pathfinding should walk around units in turnbased. Too often I see characters just shoved across the map.

- Pathfinding should show red dots if trying to get passed a wall of units with no clear way to get there.

• Like 2

Also, turn-based pathfinding when attacking targets that have multiple units around them can result in missing due to (out of range) with melee attacks.

That's pretty bad that they'll attempt the attack on a stationary target that they can't hit.

Yeah, pushing allies out of the way causes a lot of problems.

I don't know if this would be more work or less, but even an undo and/or confirm move function would make a world of difference.

Edited by ptarror

Hey everyone!

Thank you for the feedback about movement in Turn-Based Mode!  Fortunately the programmers already have a fix that is being verified to make sure everything checks out.  We hope to get it into a patch as soon as possible to resolve this issue.  If you discover anything extra about this, please continue to post about it here in case the fix doesn't solve everything and we need more information to work with.

Thanks for all the help everyone!

Hello, Obsidian team!

Thank for implementing TB mode to the game. 

There is a list of issues I noticed during my gameplay:

1. My characters often stuck on when tried to climb to the height or by ladder during TB fight. 

2. The rogue "Escape" ability lets you move almost infinitely even with spent move points.  - Bug or Feature? 

3. The rogue ability "Gouging Strike" last infinitely and can't be removed despite all other status effects that have a duration time.  - Bug or Feature? 

4. Knockback didn't affect enemies at all. They just stand up during their turn and can freely move or attack.  - Bug or Feature? 

- Thank in advance and apologies for the double post if occurs.

• Like 1

Hello, Obsidian team!

Thank for implementing TB mode to the game. 

There is a list of issues I noticed during my gameplay:

1. My characters often stuck on when tried to climb to the height or by ladder during TB fight. 

2. The rogue "Escape" ability lets you move almost infinitely even with spent move points.  - Bug or Feature? 

3. The rogue ability "Gouging Strike" last infinitely and can't be removed despite all other status effects that have a duration time.  - Bug or Feature? 

4. Knockback didn't affect enemies at all. They just stand up during their turn and can freely move or attack.  - Bug or Feature? 

- Thank in advance and apologies for the double post if occurs.

I’m not on the Obsidian team, but I think I can answer points 2, 3 and 4.

2. Escape is a teleport move with very short activation and no recovery time in RTwP. It gets translated as a free action in turn-based. There’s some debate about whether free actions should be limited, but so far, this is probably a feature.

3. This is just the same as in RTwP. It’s a feature of the ability.

4. Knockdown is still an interrupt against enemies casting a spell, but otherwise it seems much less useful than it was in RTwP since it doesn’t delay their next action. This probably isn’t a bug or a feature, just a result of turn-based being in beta and needing some polish.

I would add to the movement issues my own suggestions:

1. Path-finding could maybe require first click to set the path, and a second click to approve. Sometimes I click somewhere by accident, or click without knowing that the way is blocked, or click without realizing that the path is terrible. So it could be helpful to click once to set the path, and another click to perform the move.

2. The path would not show you getting into engagement if you walk close to an enemy. Some enemies (The rusted warrior in the first cave on the beach, at the game's beginning, if I am not mistaken) would initiate an engagement if you walk to close to them. It would be nice to see that in the path markings (Temple of Elemental Evil style).

3. Maybe we can adjust the path manually after the first click? Or If we don't get the path we want, maybe if we press Shift we can set our own path using small markers. (I think in games like Warcraft or Starcraft you can hold Shift to set a patrol pattern, so it would be similar) 

4. Some enemies would engage in disengagement attacks and some not (Is this supposed to be like that?). So it was possible for me to "cheat" by going in with Eder, hitting the slow enemy, then running back. Run in -> hit -> run away multiple times until the enemy is destroyed (it was the Rotgut in the same cave). So the Rotgut would not hit me when I retreat, but the rusty mechanical warrior did (sometimes it did, even it would forget to do it sometimes).

5. Just an observation: All of a sudden everybody *loves* hitting my back of the line wizard. You start combat and dragons would Kamikaze onto my wizard like a crazy ex-girlfriend. I wonder if the code checks the formation, and if I put my fighter in the back, things will go back to normal.

3. Maybe we can adjust the path manually after the first click? Or If we don't get the path we want, maybe if we press Shift we can set our own path using small markers. (I think in games like Warcraft or Starcraft you can hold Shift to set a patrol pattern, so it would be similar) 

You already can do this in RTwP, should work the same way in TB. Can also use shift to queue up abilities, useful for all those .4 second cast time buffs.