Hey guys,

I need ideas for a good Vatnir build. I want to take him through BoW (first time through), but I need something that can hold its own on Hardcore Deadly Deadfire PotD. I have no idea how to build or use a priest; always hated Xoti mechanically as a priest.

I could use either damage or a tank in my party. Appreciate any ideas!

You'll want to build Vatnir for damage and inspirations mostly. His kit is one of the best vanilla Priest options.

Here's an excellent overview on Priest of Rymrgand. It's written for a modded MC but there's lots of good info there.

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/105110-the-end-bringer-priest-of-rymrgand/

• Like 1

I've always run a Priest of Rymrgand as a single class character since its high-level spells are crazy good; so I can't give a lot of advice on that specific build. However, I enjoy melee priests a great deal (even more so with Stardusk's new mod) so here's some general ideas:

For Priest abilities, you'll want to focus on inspirations to buff Vatnir's performance for more hits and bleeds. Champion's Boon combined with Minor Avatar accomplishes this well, and you've always got Dire Blessing/Devotions to help the team. Vatnir's kit has some nice tricks that you won't want to overlook, and they synergize well with Rogue: Plague of Insects for negating concentration, Spreading Plague for more afflictions, etc. Note that most of the spells in this arsenal target Fortitude.

For Rogue, I would pick up Crippling Strike for the extra PEN and Blinding Strike for the bonus accuracy and upgrades: Gouging Strike is another DoT that scales well with your buffs while Confounding Blind helps you land those important hits. I would also select Dash in case of an emergency or for pathfinding issues. Envenomed Strike is a powerful ability and would combine well with your build but consider its cost (two ability points and three Guile) and how that will play into using defensive tools. Rogue's passive staples gel for obvious reasons though I would avoid Persistent Distraction (Champion's Boon will give you +3 engagement so more might not fit your party comp).

While they're aesthetically pleasing, I'm not sure about the summoned weapons because their bonus Freeze lash scales based on your Watcher's disposition, which by the time you get Vatnir might not be aligned well enough (less Freeze lash means less Bleeding Cut damage). I'm thinking one of the two-handed battleaxes could be a good replacement: higher base damage for stronger bleeds; Oathbreaker's End for more DoTs or Amra for the Frenzy proc. But I haven't tested this, and I can't recall how Bleeding Cuts stacks so take that with a grain of salt.

Edited by Ophiuchus
  • Like 1

Summoned Battle axes go very well with rogue's dmg bonuses. I played him as Priest/Rogue one time and fucused on DoT attacks (Bleeding Cuts, Crippling, Gouging, Ring the Bell, Deep Wounds) and the Sneak + Deathblows bonuses get multiplied with the lash... quite great. Especially since there are not that many good and early single handed axes in the game for a dual wielder.

Besides that: spells of course.

But his melee performance was impressive.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 2

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods