Obsidian, do not listen to the naysayers

Obsidian,

Great job with the turn based mode! As much as i loved both Pillars of Eternity, the real time mode was chaotic and cluttered. The new turn based mode is fun and exciting! You have outdone yourself and the average player can really enjoy this.

I really hate all the arm chair game developers and their suggestions of obscure formulas to "better" the turn based mechanics. I. hate. them. so . much. "why dont you multiply the initiative by a certain factor and apply it to weapon speed and BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH!!!!!!!"

You will never be able to please them. These minmax anal fools will never be satisfied (like the detractors of the Last Jedi) and want the game to be some sort of algebra problem with animations! Do not listen to them!

Good job!

Adam 

• Like 1

Erm... Obsdian specifially asked for feedback and suggestions on the new Beta Turn Based Mode. So if somebody plays the turn based mode and has some ideas how to improve it: how is she/he a "minmax anal fool"? And how exactly does one minmax anal?  :-

So... didn't you take your happy troll pills for breakfast or what's the matter? :)

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 19

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

I dunno, I play this game because it isn't turn based. If I wanted a game with turn based mode I'd play Shadowrun or Divinity Original Sin. It's not about Turn Based not being good or not working for a game like Pillars. It's about Pillars turning into another game and giving up it's own identity. For me one of the main reasons to play the game would be gone. If it is optional and you can make it work, sure go ahead. Making Pillars 3 fully turn based would probably push back some if not a lot of the fanbase. It would push me away, because there's games where turn based just is so much better. There would be no reason for me to play Pillars anymore.

Edited by AeonsLegend
  • Like 6

It's good to have an option to play RTwP or TB (but it is more like quasi real time as Infinity Engine games were).

It looks like it's a very long road before turn based mode will be playable, balance and fun. It feels like different game and I'm not sure if it can be fixed easily. I can't describe it properly yet but it will need more changes in many systems.

giphy.gif

Obsidian,

Great job with the turn based mode! As much as i loved both Pillars of Eternity, the real time mode was chaotic and cluttered. The new turn based mode is fun and exciting! You have outdone yourself and the average player can really enjoy this.

I really hate all the arm chair game developers and their suggestions of obscure formulas to "better" the turn based mechanics. I. hate. them. so . much. "why dont you multiply the initiative by a certain factor and apply it to weapon speed and BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH!!!!!!!"

You will never be able to please them. These minmax anal fools will never be satisfied (like the detractors of the Last Jedi) and want the game to be some sort of algebra problem with animations! Do not listen to them!

Good job!

Adam 

I feel like you're confusing unwarranted criticism with requested feedback. The developers specifically asked for people who are familiar with the game's mechanics to playtest and provide suggestions for improvement because they know that turn-based mode isn't fully baked yet, hence the open beta. For example: you don't have to be a min-maxer to understand that it's problematic for sabres and daggers to have the same number of attacks per turn. I mean, you do understand that, right?

Quite enjoyed Last Jedi, btw.

• Like 2

I dunno, I play this game because it isn't turn based. If I wanted a game with turn based mode I'd play Shadowrun or Divinity Original Sin. It's not about Turn Based not being good or not working for a game like Pillars. It's about Pillars turning into another game and giving up it's own identity. For me one of the main reasons to play the game would be gone. If it is optional and you can make it work, sure go ahead. Making Pillars 3 fully turn based would probably push back some if not a lot of the fanbase. It would push me away, because there's games where turn based just is so much better. There would be no reason for me to play Pillars anymore.

did they take away real time on this game or is this actually about something else

i don't really agree with the specifics of the OP but i do think devs need to start filtering internet complaints and realizing a lot of it is always going to happen. because with a lot of what seems to be going on with overwatch is that gamers (who post at least) seem to have developed an expectation that its the devs job to entertain them with a product practically forever and what actually happens behaviorally is that they play until they get bored and then they complain about it on the internet. and of course this would happen. so devs take that feedback, change the product, the fans try it out, play until they get bored and then fight over whether it used to be better

this is why so often the most detailed and longest negative reviews of a product are people with a billion hours, they think the product failed them when its literally just that they should do something else already.

the fact that the complaints about poe1 and poe2 are mirror images of each other and the fact that 90% of the complaining about both i felt was because it wasn't turn based because suddenly everyone loves it. now they are hammering out a turn based mode and lo and behold the whole board is flooded with "turn based is for stupid babies" like this is 1993

one of the overlooked components of divinity's success is multiplayer, people with money to burn just habitually buy multiple copies of these kind of games and barely play them. pillars should be a one player game.

Edited by Cartoons Plural

one of the overlooked components of divinity's success is multiplayer, people with money to burn just habitually buy multiple copies of these kind of games and barely play them. pillars should be a one player game.

Do you have any evidence for this? Why would anyone do that? On the face of it, this sounds like another instance of "Anyone can say anything and very often does", although I could, of course, be wrong.

Do you have any evidence for this? Why would anyone do that? On the face of it, this sounds like another instance of "Anyone can say anything and very often does", although I could, of course, be wrong.

It's conjecture, but likely accurate. Considering how much money people spend on gacha mobile games (and how many 200$ items I sold in Diablo 3), it wouldn't be surprising.

O hey let me buy two copies so my GF and I can play!

Also, LF minmax anal tips.

did they take away real time on this game or is this actually about something else

They didn't. I threw an "if" in there.

+1. Can't say much better myself

• Like 1

They didn't. I threw an "if" in there.

The issue is.. what if there are some mechanics that work with RT but has to be compromised because they want to make both working for TB. That is something I have issue with

• Like 1

Yeah, but you gotta watch out for overpenetration. That could get messy real fast. You gotta find that sweet spot betwen just enough PEN and too much PEN.

Also spiritshifter druid is good. Different forms can spice up the encounter.

• Like 8

Nerf Troubadour!