AoE weapons (Whispers otEP, Citzal's, Mortars etc.) don't apply afflictions in an area anymore

Basically the title:

tested them nearly all now: if it's rogue's strikes or monk's stunning surge or whatever - the effect will only get applied to the initial target, not the AoE.

Bye bye my beloved Soul Blade with Whispers and Mortar Monk. First they take away Turning Wheel from you and now also Stunning Surge... *sigh*

Well at least Flagellanth's Path is still pretty awesome with mortars. ;)

• Like 2

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

After doing some digging, I think this might be a bug.

Patch v4.1.0.0011 BETA introduced the WeaponAttackAbilityComponent.ApplyEffectsToPrimaryOnly to abilities.gamedatabundle. According to the Game Data Formats Documentation:

ApplyEffectsToPrimaryOnly - Boolean
If set, status effects will only be applied to the primary target of the weapon attack (if there is one).

"false"

I looked through attack abilities such as Crippling Strike and the like, and found all ApplyEffectsToPrimaryOnly were set to "false" by default, which is strange since that implies they should be applying as usual. Also, the devs haven't released the problem as a nerf, and as far as I'm aware, haven't commented on it yet.

Edited by Ophiuchus
  • Like 1

After doing some digging, I think this might be a bug.

Patch v4.1.0.0011 BETA introduced the WeaponAttackAbilityComponent.ApplyEffectsToPrimaryOnly to abilities.gamedatabundle. According to the Game Data Formats Documentation:

ApplyEffectsToPrimaryOnly - Boolean

If set, status effects will only be applied to the primary target of the weapon attack (if there is one).

"false"

I looked through attack abilities such as Crippling Strike and the like, and found all ApplyEffectsToPrimaryOnly were set to false by default, which is strange since that implies they should be applying as usual. Also, the devs haven't released the problem as a nerf, and as far as I'm aware, haven't commented on it yet.

Maybe - we already had this "bug" some time ago, at least with rogue's strikes. It got fixed back then. Not unusual for an Obsidian patch to bring up old bugs.

Well you can still do awesome stuff with Flagellant's Path + Citzal's and so on. And of course for Shattered Pillar it is still the go-to weapon. But Stunning Surge will not AoE stun anymore and it seems (did not excessively test this though) that the refund doesn't happen on AoE crits.

Maybe it's a bug. Maybe not. I guess I will post a bug report and see what happens. Since it wasn't in the patch notes...

Stuff like FoD lash and DMG bonus of Finishing Blow etc. still work in an AoE by the way. It seems only to affect afflictons mostly (and stuff like DoT from Toxic Strike and other strikes like Arterial etc.). Deep Wounds still works as long as the AoE does pierce/slash/crush.

Edited by Boeroer

Bye bye my beloved Soul Blade with Whispers and Mortar Monk. First they take away Turning Wheel from you and now also Stunning Surge... *sigh*

Have an odd feeling here.

> From one point of view am ok with Soul Annihilation not being applied to everyone hit by an AoE weapon, because it was a one trick pony approach and out of plethora of weapons being locked to just a few is not that fun.

> On another hand being able to apply rogue afflictions in AoE was great; and there was still room for rogues that do not need AoE weapons to fulfill their build's idea. And ehh, it kinda guts my planned assassin/beguiler that applies debilitating and confounding strikes in aoe with rods...

P.S. Also totally agree that Turning Wheel should apply to weapon damage, not melee.

With time, you will learn to appreciate the genius of those Obsidian's decisions.

Fingers crossed we can mod this back in. IIRC, Shattered Pillar can't be changed to its original state because a piece of it is hardcoded.

Do the modal debuffs still work in an AoE ?

This would totally ruin my Black Jacket build planning...

They never did with the AoE of weapons like Citzal's (-10 deflection).

They still do with AoE abilites like HoF or Clear Out. Those are not weapon-inherent AoE "splashes" but real primary attacks done to all enemies in range.

• Like 1

Man, I don't complain about nerfs or bugs -- mostly I like the nerfs, at least-- but this genuinely stinks. I finally found a build (mortar Monk) where I actually liked having Xoti in my party mechanically, which is good because I like her character, and now right as I hit level 16 and she's my leading damage-dealer, feeling like an essential member of the party, it gets killed.

Will mortars + that level 19 monk ability still be good, at least?

I hope you make a bug report, and I hope they call it a bug.

Yes, Whsipers of the Wind works like before. As does Flagellant's Path. For a single class Monk with mortars the "only" nerfs(?) are Stunning Surge (doesn't stun in an AoE) and Turning Wheel (which you can skip now).

I think maybe the biggest stinker isn't the AOE stun but the refund-on-crit in an AOE. They already nerfed the refund-on-crit (as they should have) to keep you from actually gaining more Mortification than you started with; this further nerf seems unwarranted.

Two questions:

- How does Flagellant's Path interact with mortars? I haven't used Flagellant's much. I had the impression from the tooltip that the ability doesn't do full attacks on everyone in the path, so I didn't think mortars would be relevant. But apparently I am wrong?

- Do the multi-hits of regular Blunderbusses all count toward the refund-on-crit of Stunning Surge? If so, regular blunderbusses might end up being better for Stunning Surges.

It doesn't do a Full Attack on everybody in the path, but at the target. With mortars that means some crush damage on the path (plus additional effects when upgraded) and an AoE Full Attack once you reach your destination *boom*.

The good thing is that Flagellant's Patch has its own recovery and overrides reload. That means you can do Stunning Surge + Flagellant's Path with zero recovery/reload in between. Two Full Attacks with zero pause in between is great. And also after Flagellanth's Path was done you have a short recovery and no lenghty reload. You an spam it pretty much until your Mortification is gone. You can build up tremendous amounts of Resonant Touches with that in short time - and since it doesn't use wounds you can always use it as backup for Whispers should you be short on wounds.

As mortar Monk you have to use it in my opinion. It's a must-have. 

• Like 1

Well you can still do awesome stuff with Flagellant's Path + Citzal's and so on. And of course for Shattered Pillar it is still the go-to weapon. But Stunning Surge will not AoE stun anymore and it seems (did not excessively test this though) that the refund doesn't happen on AoE crits.

Maybe it's a bug. Maybe not. I guess I will post a bug report and see what happens. Since it wasn't in the patch notes...

Stuff like FoD lash and DMG bonus of Finishing Blow etc. still work in an AoE by the way. It seems only to affect afflictons mostly (and stuff like DoT from Toxic Strike and other strikes like Arterial etc.). Deep Wounds still works as long as the AoE does pierce/slash/crush.

And so would you recommend Shattered Pillar over Nalpazca for a Citzal monk? I'm pretty new and not played monk or wizard, but I've been theory crafting for a new run.