Holy shi-.  Someone else's idea first, but it deserves its own thread.

Ok, no one ever thinks about Paladin single classes as the general consensus is "they're not that great."

But Divine Retribution (PL 9) gives +2 Zeal on Downed allies.

SUMMONS COUNT AS DOWNED ALLIES.

So the idea is to give your Paladin have Ring of Focused flame, Magran's Favor, Sun and Moon and get fire buffing chants from nearby chanter/herald and spam Light of Pure Zeal for massive foe only fire damage.  Regenerate zeal with Divine Retribution as the summons get killed by the enemies.

You can also, you know, Immolate yourself and rise again like the Phoenix (as you'll never run out of Zeal thanks to summons dying left and right around you).  

Win! 

Edited by Marigoldran

Yes and no.

Light of pure zeal is vessels and spirits only for damages. It would still trivialize encounters against these ennemies.
However, it is a MASSIVE HEAL so your actual party member would be incredibly hard to kill.
Invincibility is a nice feature too, especially since paladins can slow burn all ennemies with Brand Ennemy.

Ring of Focused flame, Magran's Favor, Sun and Moon + Infinite FoD is quite good too.

Infinite Sacred Immolation is nice too, but isn't auto-resurrect limited by injuries ?  

Edited by Elric Galad
  • Like 1

Injuries are a problem so have a Herald nearby spam the "you cannot be killed for 4 seconds spell" that all St. Elca Paladins get at level 1 as you burn everything around you.  With a Votary (Monk/Paladin) with Turning wheel, that's 10 seconds of invincibility.  

No point in priests when Paladins can do pretty much everything important a priest can do, but better.  

Use Beckoner skellies.  They die in one hit.  

There's also the minor point that with Infinite Zeal you can buff forever.  And Paladin buffs are instacast.  

Edited by Marigoldran

I proposed some months ago that a single class paladin, paired with a Berserker/Beckoner (the good old Grave Calling guy) would not only get insane Zeal refund but would also profit from those watcher-only necklaces from SSS that give you +1 MIG and RES per downed ally (up to +4). And there are some other items that do something on "ally down".

You can spam Immolation because it's rel. easy to counter it with Lay on Hands while the summons die.

I like it best to just spam FoD left and right. With fire PL bonus, general PL bonus (Prestige and so on) and decent enchantments FoD does serious damage. And with my beloved mortars it works in an AoE. ;) I wish there were more mortars in Deadfire, seriously... When I kill an enemy Virtous Triumph can kick in and give me even more Zeal. And you kill a lot with permanent FoD shots.

A Votary cannot get Devine Retribution.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

I proposed some months ago that a single class paladin, paired with a Berserker/Beckoner (the good old Grave Calling guy) would not only get insane Zeal refund but would also profit from those watcher-only necklaces from SSS that give you +1 MIG and RES per downed ally (up to +4). And there are some other items that do something on "ally down".

You can spam Immolation because it's rel. easy to counter it with Lay on Hands while the summons die.

I like it best to just spam FoD left and right. With fire PL bonus, general PL bonus (Prestige and so on) and decent enchantments FoD does serious damage. And with my beloved mortars it works in an AoE. ;) I wish there were more mortars in Deadfire, seriously...

Yup, going Single Class Paladin just for Divine Retribution along with various summoner (especially beckoner + skeleton chant) is not exactly a new idea.

2 heralds, 1 paladin, 1 Berserker with GraveCaller, and a helwalker ascendant,

Another (simpler) possibility is 2 heralds, 2 chanters, and a hellwalker ascendant.  Once you've got an army on the field to buffer, the ascendant can spam amplified waves and win.  

Once you've got enough weapon summons on the field, the monks really aren't necessary.  What's amusing about this comp is with pure chanters, you can buff your summoned weapons to have more penetration and to have more Might and Constitution.

Edited by Marigoldran