[Bug 4.1] Forbidden Fist Curse still broken. Subclass unplayable

Frak

Question

So, I'm getting a bit miffed. Forbidden Fist subclass is pretty much useless due to the duration bug with Forbidden Curse. No-one is going to play that class. And it will make new players who choose it despair and give up on the game in frustration.

Cause: The subclass cannot generate enough wounds to use abilities. Henceforth it will be a class that mainly will use autoattacks.

The issue is best explained in the three pictures attached.

It's the starting fight with Benweth and his pirates.

On FIRST use of Forbidden Fist, these things happen.

1) Damage breakdown: It applies an extra 25% damage. Which strangely is in red text. If you talk to the dev who designed the concept he/she will likely agree that this is wrong. It should apply the 25% extra damage on second curse stack. 50% on third stack, ete cetera. But not on first uncursed use.

2) Combat log. The curse duration is way way way too long for a first use. Waiting 19 seconds (best scenario) for your next wound, leads to a max of 3 wounds pr minute unless you get other debuffs on you.  This duration happens because the curse doublestacks the duration with the following formula (10secsonds + 10seconds - resolve). This is bugged! Or very very badly designed. Like totally drunk-designed. Falling-down-barstool-drunk-designed. If intended.

3) The curse description is correct here. 25% extra damage on next use of Forbidden Fist. But the duration is way way too long.

4) Might bonus (over 10) means you take more damage from the curse. Intelligence bonus (over 10) extends the curse duration. This needs fixing.

You need to overhaul the Forbidden Curse implementation. The subclass is - as of 4.1 - still unplayable.

PS. Sorry for the slightly aggravated tone. But it's been broken the whole time and I know that others and I have posted about these bugs before.

post-220461-0-56705400-1548443362_thumb.png

post-220461-0-09306700-1548443370_thumb.png

post-220461-0-39013600-1548443392_thumb.png

Edited by Frak
  • Like 1

Nerf Troubadour!

10 answers to this question

Also INT increases the duration of curse in additional to RES reducing it. It only makes sense that RES would apply here. I made a thread covering many of the other effects that suffer from this: https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/107987-stat-boosts-increasing-the-potency-of-self-harming-effects/.

The problem is that increasing the player's helpful stats also increases the potency of self-inflicted harmful effects, which is bad game design, and probably not intended. The player shouldn't ever regret increasing their stats.

Edited by DragonDrop
  • Like 2

Greetings Frak,

My apology for any inconvenience the Forbidden Fist Curse has caused you. I have forward this issue over to our Developers for further review. Should you have any additional questions or concerns please let us know?

Cheers.

Will you be looking into just Forbidden Fist or the overall issue with abilities that apply afflictions/damage to the caster? I made a post listing many of these and proposing a solution to the whole thing.

My apology for any inconvenience the Forbidden Fist Curse has caused you.

LMAO - sweet! :lol:

I'm serioulsy thinking about putting this into my signature...

Yeah, one could almost get the impression that specific answer was slightly tongue in cheek and with a subtle reference to another thread ;)

Nerf Troubadour!

My apology for any inconvenience the Forbidden Fist Curse has caused you.

LMAO - sweet! :lol:

I'm serioulsy thinking about putting this into my signature...

Yeah, one could almost get the impression that specific answer was slightly tongue in cheek and with a subtle reference to another thread ;)

Hey Frak, are you all over testing the new forbidden fist ability design? I'm curious especially what exaclty it means that subsequent duration extensions don't affect initial curses.

Not yet. I'm on GOG - not using Galaxy - so waiting for manual update.

Will do once patch goes through.

EDit: Subsequent curses no adding duration is likely the (10s+10s) bug. I assume that now the inital curse is not affected by the extra stack.

IE, first use duration, (6s-resolvebonus). Second use (restduration+6s-resolvebonus), Third use (restduration2+6seconds-resolvebonus). Something like that.

Edited by Frak
  • Like 1

Nerf Troubadour!

I just tested it and it is as you said.

The duration still gets prolonged/shortened by high/low INT by the way.

The +50% dmg makes this much more useful and now you can get actually get some wounds by using the Forbidden Fist ability.

I imagine Forbidden Fist/Priest (of Woedica?) may be a thing. Barring Death's Door + Salvation of Time lets you stack pretty high amounts of bonus damage for the ability without dying. Or simply a priest in the party.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 2

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

I just tested it and it is as you said.

The duration still gets prolonged/shortened by high/low INT by the way.

The +50% dmg makes this much more useful and now you can get actually get some wounds by using the Forbidden Fist ability.

I imagine Forbidden Fist/Priest (of Woedica?) may be a thing. Barring Death's Door + Salvation of Time lets you stack pretty high amounts of bonus damage for the ability without dying. Or simply a priest in the party.

still would consume lots of wounds after a few stacks.

but still, now that the 1st stack is so short, you basically have an enfeeble that you can use for free every few seconds. your wound generation is still going to lag behind nazpalca et al but at this point it might be in good balance with the strength of the free enfeebling effect.