Turn-Based Combat Feedback

I don't know if this is the right sub-forum. Feel free to move it.

I'm generally enjoying TB so far. I got used to RTwP, but I think I'm going to like this better. Here's to PoE3 using TB as well. A few issues though:

* Everything lasting a whole number of rounds significantly changes the value of Intellect. Going from say 12 to 13 makes no difference to ability duration in most (or all?) cases. You have to push Intellect to the upper and lower bounds to see the difference here. The solution, as far as I can see it, is to simply let things expire mid-round. You might miss a turn on one of your summons, or not get to utilize a Might buff, but that's already the case for RTwP.

* For some reason, my movement commands in combat are being ignored/cancelled a lot. I have to issue them multiple times, and sometimes the characters just stop moving halfway to their destination, despite still having movement available for the turn.

* It might just be a lack of visual feedback, but I can't tell if Delay Turn actually does anything. This is pretty significant for melee characters, who can easily lose a turn because of higher initiative allies blocking a chokepoint.

* Related to the above, I'd love to see the TB-specific widgets be bigger.

* I'm not sure why there's still an option to pause the combat in TB mode.

I can answer the last point, it appears to exist so that you have time to have your casters retarget spells if necessary if only enemies are moving before the spell goes off. This should make it so that you don't waste a spell if an enemy dies or moves before the spell goes off, like in RTwP mode.

However, you're out of luck if said spell was a melee/conal spell and there's no enemies in range from where the caster ended their turn.

Edited by Saito Hikari

I am new and I am not allowed to open Threads, but I wonder something:

Why is changing weapons consuming an action? 
As far as I remember, no Turn Based RPG I played has this mechanic and it feels really strange and weird, to me and I dont see tooooo much sense in having many multiple sets, when I actually delay a complete action on my char, just for switching weapons, while Shooting and Reloading a Black Powder weapon goes in one round. 
I like Turn Base in general more then Real Time, on isometric RPGs, but this kills the fun a bit. 
Shooting an Arquebuse from far away, enemy comes close, I change weapons, enemy gets a free attack.
I really just dont understand the thoughts behind that. 

As far as I remember, no Turn Based RPG I played has this mechanic and it feels really strange and weird, to me and I dont see tooooo much sense in having many multiple sets, when I actually delay a complete action on my char, just for switching weapons, while Shooting and Reloading a Black Powder weapon goes in one round. 

I like Turn Base in general more then Real Time, on isometric RPGs, but this kills the fun a bit. 

Shooting an Arquebuse from far away, enemy comes close, I change weapons, enemy gets a free attack.

I really just dont understand the thoughts behind that. 

Probably as simple as that weapon-switching comes with a recovery time in the RTwP game, and there is both a Subclass and an Ability that are built around reducing/eliminating it. 

Didn't get far as of yet, but so far it's bloody brilliant. Well implimented and fun so far! I started on Veteran (just to be safe) but might restart with the key fights of opening isle won't be too challenging. 

It feels good. Turn based works wonderfully with roll based design of PoE combat and they really did think this through. With certain abilities being free I am looking at many abilities that I used to ignore otherwise. 

I am still trying to figure out how exactly some of the mechanics work. Initiative? Ability duration? 

That's true, all turn-based games I can think allow players to change weapons equipped within limited slots without any cost. 

However, I don't think that means that pricey weapon switching shouldn't be a thing. I think Obs wants weapons switching to be a decision, rather than a tedious micromanagement. Overall, encounter design worked that way for real-time with pause (do I want to switch my weapon or: switch my target, buff myself, or debuff an enemy?) so it makes sense it got translated to turn based.

EDIT: Dual wielding too good? Purely speculation. 

Edited by Wormerine
  • Like 1

I can answer the last point, it appears to exist so that you have time to have your casters retarget spells if necessary if only enemies are moving before the spell goes off.

Is re-targeting possible in Turn Based? The picture in the Update thread says otherwise (see last line on the right):

I'll have to get back on and test this, but the retarget interface still exists for me in turn-based mode.

EDIT: Retargeting still works in turn-based mode. But now I'm unsure if it's intentional now that you pointed that out.

Edited by Saito Hikari

"...and there is both a Subclass and an Ability that are built around reducing/eliminating it." 

May you please point that out? Will help me to understand the new mechanics, maybe...but I still have hopes, that it will be changed. For me, it doesnt feel just so tactical to give up all possible actions.

"...and there is both a Subclass and an Ability that are built around reducing/eliminating it." 

May you please point that out? Will help me to understand the new mechanics, maybe...but I still have hopes, that it will be changed. For me, it doesnt feel just so tactical to give up all possible actions.

Black Jacket (fighter subclass)

https://pillarsofeternity2.wiki.fextralife.com/Black+Jacket

"Quick Switch" ability https://pillarsofeternity2.wiki.fextralife.com/Quick+Switch

Also, it's beta. The system might get revamped a lot.

Edited by Frak

Nerf Troubadour!