Know what be kind of cool but will never happen?

online multiplayer skirmishes.

Short fights no longer than 3 minutes fighting against fellow watchers.

1v1, 3v3 or 5v5

Design your team before hand using the custom companion generator. Queue for a match.

Maybe have special rules like teams must be composed of random classes etc.

I know right?

Even better - permanent arena, where you create and level up characters and who can die during combat. 

I don't think I would like multiplayer with real-time system. Turn based sounds much better. Still, good netcode is expensive. I am also not sure if balance is there to make multiplayer enjoyable. But sure, if PoE3 were to had some of the Microsoft budget, while still remaining, well, PoE a small multiplayer component would be welcome.

You know what's kind of hot and will definitely happen? Global warming.  :fdevil:

In other words, go play Plunkbat or Overwatch or whatever other multiplayer thingy you kiddies use today. This parasitic abomination infested enough of gaming space as it is, no need to slap it onto bloody everything. 

Also, get off my lawn.  :getlost:

You know what's kind of hot and will definitely happen? Global warming.  :fdevil:

In other words, go play Plunkbat or Overwatch or whatever other multiplayer thingy you kiddies use today. This parasitic abomination infested enough of gaming space as it is, no need to slap it onto bloody everything. 

C'mon gramps, even the first-gen consoles had two controllers. Guess why? FOR MULTIPLAYER!!!

Also, multiplayer (in whatever form) as an optional mode, that doesn't change the game's core from being a single player experience – why not?

Edited by Franknstein

Hey, you wanna hear a good joke?

Nobody speak, nobody get choked

C'mon gramps, even the first-gen consoles had two controllers. Guess why? FOR MULTIPLAYER!!!

Also, multiplayer (in whatever form) as an optional mode, that doesn't change the game's core from being a single player experience – why not?

For the same reason any tacked on mode is bad for a game. It takes time and resources that could have been used to improve and polish more important areas of the game.

• Like 2

"As the murderhobo mantra goes: 'If you can't kill it, steal it.'" - Prince of Lies

And you then get the arguement that all the classes have to be balanced to PvP instead of balanced over a party of five characters, and complaints that the multiplayer content is informing and degrading the single-player content and vise-versa; plus the inevitable problems a competative environment brings - such as the temptation for that aspect to become more than a hang-on supplementary feature, but the slippery slope (especially now MS is in charge) to become the most important feature, which is easily monetised and modifed to be pay-to-win... And slowly but surely, PoE turns into another generic multiplayer online battle arena franchise or worse, a triple AAAAAAAAAAAAA franchise with microtransactions, annual season passes, fifty-seven different pre-order special editions that you have to buy to get the whole game and lootboxes (it'd probably all be shooter - or at least hacker, too).

It's not even that far-fetched or hyperbolic (which is what scares me) - we only have to look as far as Bioware, the other half of Black Isle, to see EXACTLY THAT happened, because that's the state the games industry is in.

Sp I'd rather not take even the slightest risk, thanks, of that happening even a long time down the line. I have lost enough IP and franchises and game generas to this kind of dreck , even (until PoE itself) over the years, so you'll forgive me if even an outside chance of that is not something I would want to see given house-room.

This little tiny niche of the games community? This is my bit, and you can have your battle arenas in the single-player games only when the multiplayer online arena games start including single-player RPG story campaigns in return.

Co-op mode I could understand. (though personally, I single player only, period - if I want to play with people, that's what table top rokleplaying and wargaming is for as far as I'm concerned.)

Edited by Aotrs Commander
  • Like 1

For the same reason any tacked on mode is bad for a game. It takes time and resources that could have been used to improve and polish more important areas of the game.

True, though what are the more important areas? It's important to give people options they like, no?

Hey, you wanna hear a good joke?

Nobody speak, nobody get choked

True, though what are the more important areas? It's important to give people options they like, no?

See that depends on the context. Every situation is going to be different. In this case, whether TB mode was a welcome addition or another tacked on mode is going to be a subjective decision. Nobody is right or wrong on that call either. The negative feedback on the mode has valid concerns, and good developers would balance addressing both sides of that.

"As the murderhobo mantra goes: 'If you can't kill it, steal it.'" - Prince of Lies

You guys take this sht way too seriously. Like old people that complain about anything new or anything that they dont like.

In any case you are wrong. It would be a lot of fun to design your squad and compete against others. Fun. People spend time theorycraftying builds all the time. That probably half the fun of the darn game.

Of course it will never happen. Its a dream. Relax.

Fantasy arena:

While imbibing a somewhat questionable beverage in The Hole, you notice a shady character keeping to himself in a corner. Curious, you wander over and offer to buy him a drink. After giving you a careful once-over, he nods and motions you take a seat. After a sip, you attempt to engage him in conversation, but he remains sullen and quiet. Feeling it is time to move on, your eye is suddenly attracted to an unusual ring he wears that is glowing a faint aqua hue. Noticing your gaze, he looks at his ring and gives a start. Grimly he slides the ring off and pushes it across the table toward you. Then he gets up and quietly walks out of the pub. You rush after him, but he seems to have vanished.

Puzzled, you look over the ring and notice it has a bell-shaped crystal surrounded by silver porpoises. You turn it over and find a small inscription: "From the depths, return with five". You take the ring and add it to your inventory.

When you inquire about the ring at the Dark Cupboard, after a bit of searching you are handed an old sheet of parchment that tells you the legend of this ring. It seems this implement is associated with a mysterious portal known as the Bell of the Sea. The document is based upon the testimony of a man who supposedly returned from this place several decades past. He claimed the entrance lay at the bottom of a great swirling maelstrom somewhere in the Deadfire Archipelago. His ship chanced upon this drifting whirlpool and was swallowed by the sea, whereupon the survivors awoke in a peculiar crystal-bell covered arena under a sunless sky. Strange and powerful creatures there presented the crew with a challenge: gain five victories in the arena and you will return from whence you came. Lose, and you will be brought back to life, only to resume fighting again... possibly for all eternity.

This maelstrom is nearly impossible to locate without the ring, which glows brighter the closer you travel. There is indeed a portal at the bottom of the vortex, but descent will surely doom your ship. In the arena you will battle teams from other parallel dimensions; all similar in capability to yourself. After you gain five victories, you are allowed to leave. Your reward is an unusual alien ship with special capabilities and sleek with menace. It is able to hover over the ocean at command and can move with great alacrity in a fight. You find you can apply all the usual ship enhancements to improve its capabilities.

Ah, one can dream...

• Like 1

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

See that depends on the context. Every situation is going to be different. In this case, whether TB mode was a welcome addition or another tacked on mode is going to be a subjective decision. Nobody is right or wrong on that call either. The negative feedback on the mode has valid concerns, and good developers would balance addressing both sides of that.

I came to the conclusion today that the TB mode is as probably as much because they're porting it to consoles (as controllers aren't as suited to RTS or RTwP as mouse and keyboard - just like mouse and keyboard aren't as suited to other stuff), especially as one of them is the Switch; in particular, as a partial-hand-held would handle it way better as a TBS than a RTwP, just in terms of being portable. (I certainly wouldn't want to have tried playing RTwP on a 3DS game, personally, so I can definitely see that it's worth a shot for them to try that.)

Edited by Aotrs Commander

if the tacked on mode generates more revenue over and beyond what it took to create, then it generates more time and resources to improve and polish important areas of the game.

Edited by thelee
  • Like 2

if the tacked on mode generates more revenue over and beyond what it took to create, then it generates more time and resources to improve and polish important areas of the game.

Sure, but let's be realistic. Any mode that was actually tacked on tends to just be a way to pad out the game, and is often seen as a neat distraction but not worth playing the game for. The exceptions to this trend often become the new focus of the franchise and take it over, like multiplayer and zombies did to Call of Duty.

I'm not saying TB mode has been implemented to pad out the game. It's a good mode that has a lot of work put into it. It definitely has some issues though, many of which I think come from trying to convert RTwP mechanics directly instead of giving everything it own set of TB stats.

Problem is if the attach rate of the game suddenly jumps up after it's release, there's a valid incentive to put more resources into improving TB in future games. And game budgets are definitely a zero sum proposition, so that time and polish would have to come from something else. Maybe that doesn't mean removing RTwP mode, but it could mean not improving it any beyond what we already have.

I'm not against PoE3 having a focus on offering TB at launch, I'd prefer it. I can see why fans of RTwP would find it worrisome though.

• Like 1