Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

[Doubt] Is there Build focused on summons?

SummonsBuilds Strategies invoker Necromancer Summoner Totemic

• Please log in to reply
106 replies to this topic

Frak

Frak

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 432 posts

Seems more danish to me than vailian. :)

The original name is "Börör", but umlauts could annoy english forum software back in the days, so I circumvented them. 

Nah mate. That's just me.  ;)

Oh, those umlauts. Ah duck it. I'm just gonna use 'oe'. Why confuse other posters?

• michel.montenegro likes this

Frak

Frak

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 432 posts

Watch out when testing: since the scaling is messed up (still) it may be that one summon you call is scaled differently (and thus has different health) than a second one. You will have to check if the compared summons are of the same level. 

I dpn't use the console. Which means testing will be on Maje Island with low-level summons.

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 14882 posts
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Jeez - why not? Speeds things up so profundly. 

michel.montenegro

michel.montenegro

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 103 posts

see
"More characters means more hits, which means more interrupts and a wider wall in front of your squishies, among other things."
"Beckoner is way better. Two drakes using empowered breaths will end every fight in seconds. There's no cooldown on their breath uses."

"Chanter: Troubadour vs Beckoner"
Source: https://www.reddit.c...ur_vs_beckoner/

Edited by michel.montenegro, 26 January 2019 - 12:13 AM.

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 14882 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

They omit the fact that the Beckoner pays more phrases for an invocation AND can't generate phrases as quickly as a Troubadour. That means he usually can't keep summons on the field all the time. He will be busy only summoning if he wants to do that. Nothing else. It also means that the Troubadour can summon more creatures in a given time. Because he can generate twice as fast (so twiche the summoning frequency) while his "Many Lives Pass By" will produce a skeleton passively ever 3 seconds! 

Edited by Boeroer, 26 January 2019 - 12:18 AM.

Frak

Frak

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 432 posts

1) I don't use console because old computer and I am a bit of purist. I like to play the game without mods.

2) Chanter is s magic-user with default points in arcana. People tend to forget they can use scrolls when gathering phrases.

3) I still find that troubadour is overtuned (compared to default). I don't usually cry for nerfs, but I think troubadour is in need of a minor one/penalty.

But yeah, action economy of several more summons from beckoner is also an important thing. Go beckoner! ;-)

michel.montenegro

michel.montenegro

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 103 posts

They omit the fact that the Beckoner pays more phrases for an invocation AND can't generate phrases as quickly as a Troubadour. That means he usually can't keep summons on the field all the time. He will be busy only summoning if he wants to do that. Nothing else. It also means that the Troubadour can summon more creatures in a given time. Because he can generate twice as fast (so twiche the summoning frequency) while his "Many Lives Pass By" will produce a skeleton passively ever 3 seconds! 

You say that in 18 seconds, you would have more invocations in the field with Troubadour than Beckoner?

I'm reading:
https://www.reddit.c...r_subclass_now/
https://www.reddit.c..._or_troubadour/
https://www.reddit.c...ner_multiclass/

Frak

Frak

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 432 posts

With "brisk recitation" on, a troubador gets 6 phrases in 18 seconds (but loses linger). Which means he can cast skeletons almost (costs 4, right?) twice. Nerf troubadour!

A beckoner gets 3 phrases in 18 seconds. which means he can cast skeletons almost (costs 4, right?) once. Same amount and they fill more on the battlefield, but are smaller and shorter duration.

Edited by Frak, 26 January 2019 - 12:30 AM.

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 14882 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Let's say 24 seconds and forget the casting time for a bit:

Troubadour: generates 8 phrases --> can cast 2 skeleton invocations that cost 4 each --> 6 skeletons 

Beckoner: generates 4 phrases --> can cast 1 skeleton invocation that costs 4 --> 6 skeletons 

So in 24 secs the troubadour summons the same amount of summons - but they are sturdier and bigger. At the same time he can produce a skeleton every 3 seconds whith "Many Lives Pass By" while the Beckoner can only produce eone every 6 seconds:

So in 24 seconds the Troubadour summons 12 skeletons while the Beckoner summons 9. 6 of those are whimpy.

The advantage of the Beckoner is that all 6 come out at once and do damage right away - and that you can profit from killed summons. Which is easier if they die faster.

• neotemplar and michel.montenegro like this

Kaylon

Kaylon

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1293 posts

The main issue of the beckoner is the short duration of their summons. Even 35int isn't enough to keep the summons 100% of the time (and it becomes even worse if the summons are killed before they expire).

michel.montenegro

michel.montenegro

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 103 posts

Let's say 24 seconds and forget the casting time for a bit:

Troubadour: generates 8 phrases --> can cast 2 skeleton invocations that cost 4 each --> 6 skeletons 

Beckoner: generates 4 phrases --> can cast 1 skeleton invocation that costs 4 --> 6 skeletons 

So in 24 secs the troubadour summons the same amount of summons - but they are sturdier and bigger. At the same time he can produce a skeleton every 3 seconds whith "Many Lives Pass By" while the Beckoner can only produce eone every 6 seconds:

So in 24 seconds the Troubadour summons 12 skeletons while the Beckoner summons 9. 6 of those are whimpy.

The advantage of the Beckoner is that all 6 come out at once and do damage right away - and that you can profit from killed summons. Which is easier if they die faster.

The cost of Beckoner skeletons is not less?
Except for mistake is 3, and the one of the Troubadour is 4.

In the end the Troubadour, ends up doing better the role of summoner (Beckoner invocations do not last less, they die faster, and make this impression). Beckoner is a subclass for specific strategies by sight.

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 14882 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Beckoner summons had the same duration as Troubadour summons when I checked 5 min ago. Did they change that? Because the description of the Beckoner passive still says shorter duration. But in my case they were all the same - just smaller and less durable. 

neotemplar

neotemplar

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 91 posts

The mentioned figurines are once-per-encounter items. They recharge after each battle and can be used again.

They add the shaman fetish flavour to chanter + allow non-summon classes to still summon smth

Has anyone tested chanters in turn-based mode?

Do they feel different, like firearms?

There were complaints about troubadours not working correctly.

michel.montenegro

michel.montenegro

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 103 posts

Beckoner summons had the same duration as Troubadour summons when I checked 5 min ago. Did they change that? Because the description of the Beckoner passive still says shorter duration. But in my case they were all the same - just smaller and less durable. 

In my description of the Beckoner in Pt-Br, it says that the invocations have 50% of the original life and are smaller (visually). Just say that, nothing to last less, this is the invention of the people.

Note: The cost of Beckoner invocations is -1 (I think in this case they are cheaper), if the default is 4 the Beckoner would be 3.

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 14882 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Figurines have charges. If you use them too often they are empty and you can throw them into the trashbin.

michel.montenegro

michel.montenegro

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 103 posts

The mentioned figurines are once-per-encounter items. They recharge after each battle and can be used again.

They add the shaman fetish flavour to chanter + allow non-summon classes to still summon smth

Has anyone tested chanters in turn-based mode?

Do they feel different, like firearms?

There were complaints about troubadours not working correctly.

They are like the "Quick Items" items of Baldur's Gate 2, where they have invocations they use and only return after resting.

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 14882 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

In my description of the Beckoner in Pt-Br, it says that the invocations have 50% of the original life and are smaller (visually). Just say that, nothing to last less, this is the invention of the people.

Note: The cost of Beckoner invocations is -1 (I think in this case they are cheaper), if the default is 4 the Beckoner would be 3.

What game version do you have? Because Beckoner Summons are actually one point more expensive (4 instead of 3 in case of skeletons) and the description of the Beckoner passive clearly states that the summons are smaller, have less health and less duration (actual game version 4.1):

beckoner_passive.png?dl=1

So it's def. not "the invention of the people". :)

Edited by Boeroer, 26 January 2019 - 08:15 AM.

michel.montenegro

michel.montenegro

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 103 posts

What game version do you have? Because Beckoner Summons are actually one point more expensive (4 instead of 3 in case of skeletons) and the description of the Beckoner passive clearly states that the summons are smaller, have less health and less duration (actual game version 4.1):

beckoner_passive.png?dl=1

• The chanter's summons are smaller and have half their normal health.
  • Summon Invocations cost +1 Phrases.

Source: https://pillarsofete...lasses#Beckoner

Worse than the description does not match with the official site, and unless cheat pt-Br (Translation) does not have the part of least duration, I tested here too and all skulls lasted exactly 18 seconds. as it is in the description (Unless the description shows, the duration already with the reduction of time)

michel.montenegro

michel.montenegro

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 103 posts

In the game also comes written that has lesser duration, in addition to having half of life and a smaller size. (I.e.

Now in Portuguese it says that it costs -1 Sentence, in English +1 phrase (In this case I believe that the correct one is)

fe278c010ca5c50a6427735e8bfc6688-full.jp

What is the real cost of the initial skeletons? (In the game it appears that they cost 3), I am Backoner; and in the Troubadour, how much?

66859f3ac254cdefdc93108f95d24dcd-full.jp

Elric Galad

Elric Galad

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1569 posts

I disagree. Obsidian devs are people.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: SummonsBuilds, Strategies, invoker, Necromancer, Summoner, Totemic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users