Update #60 - Patch 4.1 - Turn-Based Mode Beta

Greetings, Watchers,

Josh Sawyer cordially invites you to experience Deadfire in a completely new way through our turn-based mode, now live in beta form.

Accessing Turn-Based Mode Beta

To start playing in turn-based mode, simply make sure that you have Patch 4.1 downloaded, and then start a new game! A window will appear that will let you select the combat mode you wish your new game to stay in. Clicking the button with the question mark will further expand the nuances between the two modes or, you can check out the image below to see for yourself!

deadfire-update-60-turn-based-summary.pn

Beta Feedback and End

As Josh said in his video, please send us feedback and any bugs that you might find! The team is much smaller now and we need to lock up our code for console ports, but we will definitely try to get to as much as we can. We will continue to take feedback until the end of February, so please let us know what you think!

Screenshots

deadfire-tb-combat-start-01.png

deadfire-tb-bow-01.png

deadfire-tb-poko-1.png

deadfire-tb-helfire-1.png

deadfire-tb-guardian-03.png

Patch 4.1

deadfire-update-53-magran-challenge--thu

In addition to our Turn-Based Mode Beta, 4.1 also comes with a variety of fixes and updates to Deadfire. Check out the full list here!

Console Update

With our Turn-Based mode beta going live, we wanted to assure those waiting for our console version that turn-based mode will also be included at launch for Deadfire's console release. Stay tuned for an exact date once we get one!

Thank you again for your continued support! If you have any issues with the game, contact us through our support portal to help you on your journey.

Cheers,

The Deadfire team

Reach out to us on our various social media channels (TwitterFacebookInstagram, here on our forums) and let us know your comments, your critiques, and what you love about the game.

Did you miss our last update? Check it out!

I play the real time with auto-pause to almost all events. So the the new round base mode is not so innovative.

However, the "round order/sequence" panel in the right up corner would be very useful.

Is it possible to add togle.able (from menu option) panel of actions also for the real time?

sort the actions by the moment of activation/attack, so omit recovery

If an enemy is start casting a fireball, I see in the panel how many (mili)seconds left to explosion, so I can counter.

Dont realy need closely observing recovery phase.

The moment from start of the action to the execution, is the important.

Who is faster, who is slower, Such info is hidden in the current real time system, and is one of the reasons why is so messy.

Reason is simple, speed of actions and their proper counter actions is hard to guess. Hard to get timing. So counter spell or (rogue) interrupts are usually lucky guess than an intention. With more precise panel in the real time, planing action could be more strategic. I would rather see more readable RTS combat, than a harsh overhaul to a hard round system.

Perhaps show two panels, one action(attack/cast) panel, second recovery ( and walking) panel. So player easy recognize threat and timing.

Thank you

Edited by gGeorg

Great addition! It will boost replayability for sure :)

I have some feedback on the UI polish:

• On the mode selection when starting a new game, it feels strange to have actual buttons at the bottom when you can still click the entire banner to choose and there's already the back/continue buttons right below. In addition to that, the actual button art looks unpolished and stretched, as does the highlight when clicked. I think it would work much better to just remove the buttons entirely and instead have a simple label, something like "Click to choose Real-Time with Pause" etc.- cleaner, more polished, and it's already clear that you should click the whole banner.
  • The shade of green used throughout the actual turn-based combat UI ("Your Turn" at the top, list of characters on the right, "End Turn" button on the bottom) feels too saturated. It stands out a lot and doesn't feel thematically coherent with the rest of the UI - a less saturated shade of green would work much better.
  • The way the right-side list fades out on its left edge seems a bit out of place.

Minor things in the grand scale of things, but improving these points would definitely make the experience feel more visually polished.

• Like 2

Dear Obsidian,

I honnestly think that the current 1 action per turn is going to be incredibly complicated to balance given the real time basis of your ruleset. In my humble opinion :bow:, it is probably better to implement a turn-based system closer to Final Fantasy X or Heroes of Might & Magic V (as examples) where there is no "global turn", but each character act one after each other and recover more or less quickly for next action. 

That's just my 2 cents of hasty advice, so feel free to ignore  :geek:

• Like 6

I'm loving turn-based mode, but one quibble I'm having is, when I'm targeting an action or something the character will almost ALWAYS say one of their "I can't do that thing" lines before I've clicked on an action or a move. I hope that's fixable, because it gets REALLY annoying, esp in a longer battle. I suppose I could turn off combat voices or something, but I really don't want to do that. Thanks!

• Like 3

Dear Obsidian,

I honnestly think that the current 1 action per turn is going to be incredibly complicated to balance given the real time basis of your ruleset. In my humble opinion :bow:, it is probably better to implement a turn-based system closer to Final Fantasy X or Heroes of Might & Magic V (as examples) where there is no "global turn", but each character act one after each other and recover more or less quickly for next action.

That's just my 2 cents of hasty advice, so feel free to ignore :geek:

I agree. With only 1 action per round this is a very big nerf to fast attack characters who are built to have high DPS. Acting first every round is not good enough if the overall damage is reduced. HoMM5 did it right, please make it similar.

I'm too far into the game to start another new game to use this wonderful feature. Is there a way to manually edit my save game to switch to turn based mode?

Nope. The devs have stated it's a problem with the engine that they don't have the resources to correct right now.

"As the murderhobo mantra goes: 'If you can't kill it, steal it.'" - Prince of Lies

• 1 month later...

tbh turn-based mode is a mess balance wise right now and I don't think its possible to make it balanced without manual tweaking every single spell and ability. ppl rushing thru story on easier difficulties will find it unnecessary slow, and hardcore player who wants to get a proper chess without coding followers and pausing mid-animations may consider it way too exploitable - it kills some classes and make others extremely strong.

I've been trying to play with it on PotD twice with different sets of challenges and both times found it easier (and naturally slower) than real-time PotD what just makes game tedius, not more interesting/strategic like I thought it should be.

Edited by caites

tbh turn-based mode is a mess balance wise right now and I don't think its possible to make it balanced without manual tweaking every single spell and ability. ppl rushing thru story on easier difficulties will find it unnecessary slow, and hardcore player who wants to get a proper chess without coding followers and pausing mid-animations may consider it way too exploitable - it kills some classes and make others extremely strong.

I've been trying to play with it on PotD twice with different sets of challenges and both times found it easier (and naturally slower) than real-time PotD what just makes game tedius, not more interesting/strategic like I thought it should be.

I just finished an entire game in TB, and I loved it! With RTwP I paused every couple of seconds to micromanage everything, so this just made doing it easier. If there's a PofE3, I hope TB is baked in from the start!

• Like 1

You must be the lucky one that didn't run into 10+ builds in a row that are garbo for this mode, finally hone in on a few builds you like only to realize bugs make them unplayable too, then have to wait for beta to end. I WANT TB to be fun, it seems it will be once its ready. 

You must be the lucky one that didn't run into 10+ builds in a row that are garbo for this mode, finally hone in on a few builds you like only to realize bugs make them unplayable too, then have to wait for beta to end. I WANT TB to be fun, it seems it will be once its ready. 

I started a new game almost immediately after TB was patched in officially, and apart from a few little annoyances (that were patched within a few days) it was fine! I don't do beta testing/early access play for this very reason.

• 2 weeks later...

That's a really game-changing mode - mage has its use now. The only thing that became unballanced -  armor. Initiative is not SO important.

I wish the game had a multiplayer - to play with friends, but yes, I know, I know... Just please add multiplayer mode in your next games.